YT Red head

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:14 PM

Lads. I have just acquired a copy of desktop dyno. It needs some very specific info. about the head but I've lost my spec sheet. (Head purchased many years ago)

It's a YellowTerra stage 4 on top of a red 186. I'm after inlet and exhaust valve sizes. Also, does anyone know what sort of HP they are suppose to flow out of the box/plastic wrapping?

I've emailed YT but no reply as yet. Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Jim

#2 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:21 PM

Update - I've found the valve sizes but have called 8 head shops and nobody has any idea what they should flow - not even an estimation. YT say that it should be 25-35% above standard but that is of little help.

Any estimates or actual figures?

Cheers
Jim

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

Instead of creating an airflow file i just tick low performance ported and enter the valve sizes..you will find it to be near as dead on.

#4 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:45 AM

I did that last night. I was tryiny to be super accurate but as you say, it would be close to the mark. 230hp apparently. I have tripple SU's but I'm not sure if I should class them as individual runner or tunnel ram induction. In the mannual it specifically states individual runner is one carb per cylinder.

So many variables

Cheers
Jim

#5 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

I use "Tunnel ram" & "600 cfm" for the carb, SU's can flow about 550+ cfm from the info that I have.

#6 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

I was thinking that tunnel ram would probably be more appropriate. I also called Midel who are the Australian importers of SU gear and old mate claimed that H-6 SU's (1.75") flow about 250cfm each. From that I figured 750cfm, for triples. Sounds a little high I thought but old mate was adamant 250cfm was the go.

Cheers
Jim

#7 _al m_

_al m_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

on the topic of YT ive seen many a person state different things about what YT called their heads. Some people say they only go up to a stage 3. Where as others say stage 5. Ive even seen one bloke who is selling a YT head on fleabay say YT never described their heads in 'stages', instead they called them either Economy, Towing , Perforance and High Performance.
So does anyone know the real truth? Im confused, what do i look for when buying!

Edited by al m, 12 August 2006 - 06:41 PM.

#8 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

i think at the end of the day wether they are labled stages or with names there is a direct line to its intended purpose, as to say you would not class a stage 5 with a towing/economy head.

FYI stage 5 in the old days refered to full race specs wether it be heads or cam etc with stage 1 being basicly stock and stage 3 being in the middle aimed at the street.

Edited by ALX76, 12 August 2006 - 07:04 PM.

#9 _al m_

_al m_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:20 PM

really?

i thought they only went to stage 3...thanks for that information!

#10 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

^ i dont think they actually marketed a stage 5 head as at the time YT were at the front and marketing their stage 3 heads quite well and then everyone jumped on the band wagon and we ended up with stage 5, then stage 6 street heads and i think the wank factor could even get you to stage 8, well thats when YT went to the name thing to defing the usability of their products, hence econony, gas etc etc.
stage 1 to 5 is not commonly used today for that reason but the general reference still stands as in my previous post.

#11 originalglenn

originalglenn

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:57 PM

when i bought mine( um 20 years ago?) it was called a bathurst 12000

( a 12 port red head)

they also had a bathurst 6000

( didnt have the ports seperated)

0 user(s) are reading this topic