oil shockers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:30 PM

hi i know ive asked this before in another thread but i need to find an answer soon, im replacing the front springs in my SLR and whilst im at it im gonna do the shockers as well, i did this recently on my rears and couldnt believe the difference going from gas shockers to oil, so what i want to know is are there any brands that still make oil shockers?

cheers adam

#2 mikew

mikew

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

My understanding is that all conventional shockers are oil filled - just that some of them are gas pressurised to help stop the oil from foaming up.

You can still get shockers that are not gas pressurised - they are usually the entry level models.

eg. "Monroe Original Hydraulic Shock Absorber"

The gas should improve the performance of the shocker.

What difference did you notice going from gas charged to non-gas charged?!

Mike

#3 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:23 PM

when i went from gas charged to non gas charged the back end of the car sat lower and was alot stiffer. i never put the gas charged ones in so im only hoping they were primed properly?

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

Hi Guys.

All shocksin common cars, gas or not, are oil-filled & the gas pressurising does not make the shock any stiffer or softer. Sounds like the ones you had were gas, but not heavy-duty. The term heavy-duty usually refers to stiffer valving.

Toranas left the factory with non gas shocks, as gas shocks were in their infancy in the early/mid 70s.

I always try & buy a good gas shock & with valving as stiff as required for than application. The only down-side is that if you're replacing non-gas shocks with gas shocks in a lightweight car, then it will increase the ride height. In Toranas the rear is much lighter than the front, so the rear is more affected in this way.

Solution is to buy good gas shocks with stiffness you require (or even buy adjustables), & then buy springs to gain the ride height you need.

Dr Terry.

#5 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

Adam,

I work for Bilstein Racing - Bilstein Shock Absorbers. I can help you out with any extra information you need.
Just hit me up with a PM and i'll help you out.

Cheers,

RpM
Matt

#6 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

thanks guys now i think i understand, matt i just may do that ^
cheers adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users