Savvas

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Name:Sav
  • Car:73 LJ 2 Door

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

So to cut a long story short. My 2 door shell finally went to the panel beaters recently. He gave me a rang today after getting it up on the hoist and I went down there. He showed me the bad news. The chassis rails are pretty beat up and it is visibly twisted when looking down the length of the car from underneath. 

http:[email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>/albums/72157678738161466

The car was bought from a forum member a few years back. Its a shame and I doubt he knew either as you could only really see once the car was up in the air on a hoist. 

As heartbreaking as it is for me I need to make a decision. I've narrowed it down to two options. Selling everything, shell, parts I've accumulated for it, etc. Or i can look for another shell and either cut this up for spare panels or sell it (obviously notifying any potential buyers of the issues) and continue trying to finally finish the car I've always wanted. Does anyone know of any 2 door shells available for purchase at the moment.

What do you guys think? The damage is pretty bad. My panel beater told me how much it would be to fix, but it just doesn't seem like its worth it.

#2 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Looks like fair bit of labour to fix all that neatly...how bad is rest of car?

Try to recoup what it cost or help fund next car but as long as you mention the damage it's then up to buyer...most likely a panelbeater will want it.

Downside is finding another 2 door that's not as bad & affordable..might want to hold onto it untill you find a replacement & swap parts needed before selling.

Wont be easy finding another one nor cheap.

#3 Savvas

Savvas

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

Yeah I'm planning to hang onto it. After I get another shell. Take what I need from it. Then sell it or cut it up for parts.

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

The rails don't look like they would be too hard to replace/strengthen.

As for a twist... can it be aligned on an autorobot ?

Might be time to buy a mig and plasma cutter and save yourself some panel beater money

Satisfaction of a job done yourself

#5 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

whats the rest of car like? but it can be fixed, how much did the beater quote?

seen this and seems to work well and is quick to

#6 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

If it were mine i would put it on a rotisserie, prop it up with a bunch of jack stands & brace it up, cut the bashed top off & heat/beat the rest back into shape. Then replace the top with a nice new piece of flat zinc. 

Or even easier, if you could find a sympathetic sheet metal shop they may even be able to make you new rails. :dontknow:

I think the days of discarding coupe shells is over. 

#7 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

I gotta agree that scrapping a two door know is something that one day you'll be kicking yourself about. Years ago plenty of repearable xu-1's got scrapped that could have been fixed and worth a small fortune now.

But having said that, if you can't afford for someone to fix it or don't have the confidence to tackle the job yourself then maybe it's time to move it on. Your choice to make though.

Find a 4cylinder shell to donate the chassis rails or a rusted out coupe. Or maybe look into a chassis strengthening kit to fit over the existing rails after you realign the body.

#8 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

Just get a good sedan shell and use its rails? Fair bit of work but at least not painted panels.

#9 Savvas

Savvas

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

I know scrapping the 2 door just feels wrong. Unfortunately I don't think it would be wise attempting to fix it myself. I am on the hunt for another shell and then I'll probably sell this to someone who either has the skills to get this coupe back on the road.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Looks definitely fixable from here. 

Re the twist, wasnt just the hoist was it? These things are pretty floppy, particularly if the sills are rusted etc, it wouldnt surprise me if it just twisted on the hoist. 

#11 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

You sure it's actually twisted? Measured it up?

Looks like either lifted by forklift or bottomed out on gutter driven off footpath.

I think have a crack fixing it yourself,seen a few with dented rails get repaired...can still sell it later on.

Cousin chopped up 1/2 decent lj 2 door..1/4 panels & beaver badly repaired/bogged up...we all regretted letting him do that.

#12 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

I'd ask the "qualified" panel beater, what he thinks if you got some rails for it & if he'd be prepared to fit them. It may have been lifted by a forklift with all the running gear in it by some really really rough clown, to me that would be a rotiserie job removing the old rails repairing the floor & refitting the new 1's at the least, not impossible, but not very simple. It is the rails not a thin panel. What was his rough thoughts on costing ?

#13 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,002 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

Ex HDT................Been jacked up too many times in the pits. :ph34r:

#14 Savvas

Savvas

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

You sure it's actually twisted? Measured it up?

How would one go about measuring it? Aka what reference points would you use?

#15 Savvas

Savvas

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

I'm starting to think that my beater just doesn't want to do the job. The shell is pretty mint otherwise. I don't think there is any twist. I had a look at it on the hoist and he has got two different sized blocks on each side. One taller than the other and then wonders why that one is like a centre meter higher.

#16 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

I've seen a body reference point schematic here somewhere

Just not sure where or if it was LJ or LH

#17 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

I'm starting to think that my beater just doesn't want to do the job.

That could be the case or he just doesn't want to see you spend so much money when there's cheaper options. It's not uncommon for a panel beater to get stiffed part way through a project when the owner's funds run dry so you can see why some are hesitant to take on lengthy jobs.

Just about everything is restorable, it all depends on how deep your pockets are.

Get a second opinion from another professional at least, before you finalise your decision.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 08 January 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#18 Savvas

Savvas

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

I added a couple extra photos. The rest of the car is a really really good example honestly. It would be such a waste.

I think I'll get a couple more opinions. Also going to talk to a few blue slip guys and a engineer to see whether just a chassis strengthening kit would be adequate. (as long as when I take my measurements it isn't twisted)

#19 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

Have you tried St. Mary's Prestige? I believe they have a car-o-liner on the premises. They do quality work too and aren't afraid to take on restos.

http://www.stmarysprestige.com.au/

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 08 January 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#20 Savvas

Savvas

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

The problem is that he couldn't even give me a quote. He pretty much said it's a 5 figure job just to repair the chassis. Big difference between 10k/20k etc.

#21 Savvas

Savvas

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

Have you tried St. Mary's Prestige? I believe they have a car-o-liner on the premises. They do quality work too and aren't afraid to take on restos.

http://www.stmarysprestige.com.au/

s

Thanks. Definitely will keep them in mind.

#22 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

Thanks. Definitely will keep them in mind.

I had some work done there, I spoke to Steve and he was really honest about it, I was told what would be worth doing and not worth doing so they aren't just chasing after money. Some body imperfections were fixed, others I was told are better left as is until I reconsider painting the whole car. I have a few little humidity imperfections and scratches here and there, he said it'd be like a dog chasing its tail to try and fix them all up and a waste of money, so they fixed what was most necessary and I'm really happy with it.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 08 January 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#23 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

In my opinion I dont think that those chassis rails are too bad. If you are after getting the car back to original it would be a huge job. I doubt that there are any LC/LJ toranas out there that haven't been jacked up and had the rails damaged in there lifetime. Remember these cars are now anything up to 46 years old.

In the LC/LJ workshop manual there is a diagram for measuring for twist.

I really doubt that they could twist to the extent that you seem to be talking about and it not be noticeable somewhere else along the way, like doors not closing, boot not sealing or rear quarter windows not closing properly. or strange cracking in unusual places.

I'd get a second opinion from another person before going down the road of scrapping it and finding another shell that may have good rails but hidden problems elsewhere especially in the A pilars for example. 

If it was me I'd offer pay this guy for his time and walk away on a friendly professional basis and take the car for a second opinion. In my experience he is any good he would probably not accept the offer of payment and say that he agrees with the idea of a second opinion.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

The problem is that he couldn't even give me a quote. He pretty much said it's a 5 figure job just to repair the chassis. Big difference between 10k/20k etc.

Wow, for just the chassis? I will do it for you for 5k..... And im ripping you off big time. 

Definitely get a second oppinion, and as above, if its as badtly twisted as he says the doors wont open or the bonnet wont close or something funny like that, 

Did you try opening and closing the doors on the hoist as opposed to on the ground?

#25 Savvas

Savvas

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Wow, for just the chassis? I will do it for you for 5k..... And im ripping you off big time.

Definitely get a second oppinion, and as above, if its as badtly twisted as he says the doors wont open or the bonnet wont close or something funny like that,

Did you try opening and closing the doors on the hoist as opposed to on the ground?

Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm going to get some other opinions. I spoke to him and since no work was done he is willing to give me my deposit back and I'll be bringing it back to my place and speak to a few other panel beaters.

I did not try with it on the hoist. Would that make much of a difference?

Edited by Savvas, 08 January 2017 - 06:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users