9 Inch diff axel seal oil leak

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

I have replaced the axle seals twice on my LX and they still keep leaking (both sides). Of course normal road driving probably wouldn't produce this problem. Anyone experienced with this before?

#2 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:27 PM

One on my car leaked so I replaced both. Strange thing was that then the other started leaking even though the seal was new. The speedy sleeve (I think that's what they are called) had slipped a bit and also had a rough edge that appeared to have damaged the seal. Bought a new sleeve and bearing set and has been fine ever since. The sleeve on the other side is also slightly damaged but since it's not leaking, that can wait until the axle comes out - maybe if I change the diff ratio.

This is all in a 9 inch by the way. Not sure about a banjo.

#3 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:28 PM

Hi Pete,

Are you running a floater setup, or just standard? Do you have the diff housing vented?

#4 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:48 AM

Are you running a floater setup, or just standard? Do you have the diff housing vented?

Floater and diff is vented (into boot area)

#5 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:58 AM

When you dismantle the hubs, do the leaking seals look damaged? Is there a ridge where the seal sits up against inside the housing (so you know exactly where its supposed to sit), and does the corresponding seal surface look okay?

Assuming you bought the housing + axles new, I'd be talking to who ever made them! If anything a floater setup should be less likely to leak compared to a standard one.

Edited by 350LH, 10 August 2006 - 09:59 AM.

#6 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

Had a similar issue with mine recently.

I have a 9-inch diff with Holden axle tubes welded in running Statesman disc brake rear end set-up.

I developed an oil leak after removing an axle for some other repairs and so bought new wheel bearing kits. Now this is where it all went south.

As the numbers on the bearing corresponded with a Torana Wheel Bearing kit thats exactly what the store supplied me, even though I had told them I was running a disc brake rear end.

So after going through two sets of bearing it was finally discovered that I needed a different, "Disc Brake Wheel Bearing Kit" and all is good.

The only difference is that the seal is actually 2mm thicker to allow for the thicker backing plate. This explains why when we put the other new bearings in I suddenly had a bucket load of end-float in the axles.

#7 _trna76hb_

_trna76hb_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

My 9 inch axle seal kept leaking from the l/h axle tube. Ended up being the axle tube was bent, not set up correct when made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users