petrol additives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _David-UC_

_David-UC_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

Hi Guys,I'm new to this so please be patient.
My Dad just bought me a UC sunbird (stop laughing)
with the cut down red motor. As I'm only 17 I can't do much with it as yet because I don't have a licence but plans for the future are to fit a V6 but for now I'll stick to the 4 while I save a bit of money as well.What I need to know is what is the best fuel additive to run with unleaded petrol so my Mum can use the car until I get my licence.Any advise would help as there are heaps of things available but which is best?

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:53 PM

Flash Lube.
R

#3 _jimjet61_

_jimjet61_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

If you plan to fit something else down the track I would save your money and not use anything.

#4 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:44 PM

agree with jimjet...you aren't going to be concerned about valve wear 100000km down the track, of course if it runs rough on regular unleaded...perhaps premium fuel or a shandy of both might be in order......or an octance enhancer/additive.........im sure there are plenty on this site have advice on what is the most cost effective here.

#5 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:24 AM

Hey David! I used to have the Starfire in my UC too. Dont feel ashamed to say that it's got that motor - everyone on GMH-Torana appreciate what you appreciate! And i understand that you cant start with the most horsepower! I've been there man!

To answer your question, i ran 95 Octane premium in my Starfire with flashlube. They tell you how much you need to put in with each tank (normally its 1ml per 1litre of petrol). I had to set my timing at 8 degrees instead of 6 to make it run happily on premium. Normal unleaded will rob you of every ounce of power the poor old starfire has!

Check out my UC if you want any ideas, i started out with a stock as a rock Sunbird, and have turned it into a masterpiece, but i got mine when i was 13, and am now 21. Its taken me 4 years to get mine looking and going as well as it is now. All it takes is time...

Cheers and welcome
Keithy

Might be interesting to note, my UC used less fuel with a 202 than with the Starfire motor... After i changed the diff gears from 3.9:1 to 3.08:1...

Edited by Keithy's_UC, 14 August 2006 - 06:27 AM.

#6 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

I use Valve Master myself as i found Flash Lube made my 173 run like a dog & exhaust smelt really bad (i have no idea why???). Valve Master is more expensive so probably better to use Flash Lube if you are on a budget.

Cheers,
Mick

#7 _David-UC_

_David-UC_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the advise.
I'll give the flashlube a go and see how it goes.

#8 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:17 AM

There's no power gain or loss in using it, but its good if you plan on keeping the motor for a few more k's.

I didnt run it in my old 202 at all. I dont know if it was due to lack of lead or just wear and tear, but i lost cylinder 1 exhaust valve and drove it around like that for about 20 000km (unknowing). When i ripped the 202 out to put the worked 179 in i pulled the head off the 202 and the valve had nearly nothing left of it... Best to use it for the long term benefits.

My new 6 has been converted to run on unleaded.

Cheers
Keith

#9 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:48 AM

Dave, you seem to have changed your priorities, unless you intend to keep the present engine going for another 10years or so, using flashlube is money down the drain......afik, it wont make the car go better, supposedly just provides assistance in stopping the valves from burning out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users