#1 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

Hey All
Thanks in advance!! Can anyone tell me how to remove the chrome gutter with out destroyin it? And or Can u buy these new ie rare spares! Id liek to get these off with out any damage as mine are in pretty good nick! Any help would be great.
Cheer
sStedz

#2 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

I've posted my preferred method for removing drip rail mouldings a few times in the past but i'd be happy to post it again.

Tools needed are;

Small light hammer
A small flat blade screw driver or even a flat edged gasket scraper or similar tool
A steady set of hands
A keen eye
And the biggest can of patience you can find.

Procedure;

I normally start at the rear of the car (for no particular reason just do) and holding the flat part of the screw driver blade against the lower lip edge of the moulding gently tap the shaft of the screwdriver away from the body of the car so the moulding gently starts to "pop" off, tap a little bit at a time and make sure you do it gently, Don't be worried about it not popping off completely the first time you tap it, just keep starting again until it comes off cleanly. Work your way along the entire moulding and if your careful you will have the mould off neatly and it will be able to be refitted in the future.

It can also be of benefit to have someone holding the moulding after you've got it partly removed so it doesnt try to bend down on you.

Reinstallation is all by hand, Sit the moulding with the upper edge sitting on the top edge of the drip rail, use the palm of your hand to "slap" the moulding down over the lower edge, it can be tricky when you first try it but once you get the hang of it, it becomes very simple to refit mouldings without any damage and the soreness of your hand is forgotten when you have damage free moulds on the car.

I'd try and avoid using any kind of hammer on the moulds even the soft ones as it increases the chances of damaging the moulds.

Mine were perfect until my trimmer insisted that he install the mouldings on mine when the vinyl roof was fitted, he used a hammer and flattened parts of mine, thats what you get i guess sometimes.

Good luck and remember to take your time!!!

#3 _steve253_

_steve253_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:13 AM

Ive just removed and replaced mine, doing the above with the same tools and that same can. Just take your time, good luck. Steve

#4 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

Good to see you had a win steve! Its not that difficult to do, I reckon its easier to pull them off correctly than it would be to try and rip them off!!

#5 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:37 AM

Can you purchase new ones from rare spares? I was careful removing mine, but it was never very good to start with.

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:56 AM

Panel beater mate of mine uses a brickies chisel under the bottom edge, lightly tapped from the side under the drip sill.

Gave me the tip after with some, but not enough, patience I turned one into something that resembles a piece of spiral pasta. Thank good it's not the good car.

I've not attempted the other side yet till I get a brick bolster/chisel.

#7 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:34 AM

Pete, that sounds like a very good description, some pix would have been great, as we could have made a sticky in the tech section.

I've seen this question come up a few times.

Perhaps it could go in the tech section anyway, Mods???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users