TT36 Still not Dead

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

when they stopped making monaros i said to every one here comes the torana and every body laughed at me. seriously it looks like a bloody vectra. but i do think it would be fun wth a gen 4 in it hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :spoton:

#27 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

i'll just shutup so shit doesnt start, sorry

About time... we're all here for the same reason, learn to respect other's taste.

A new car using the design principles of the Torana is exactly what Holden needs, that doesn't mean that I think they will or are even capable of pulling it off.

Quite simply, the Commodore is dead. They just spent too much bringing out a nice car at the worst possible time. Australia's automotive society is in dire straits and the problems it is experiencing are directly linked to Commodores. :P

If Holden want to stay alive, they need a car that is in every way a Torana, without the Torana badge. Rear wheel drive obviously, no exception. Nobody with balls wants to buy a FWD car. AWD is an excellent option also, but it promotes increased fuel consumption, so it can't be standard.
Holden need to learn how to make a light car. And I mean actually light, not just a car with small dimensions that still weighs 1600kg.

They could keep their ancient Buick V6 in production and/or produce an even smaller six like a 186ci strait six OHC/DOHC motor, hehe. They can go as wild or mild as they want; as long as it doesn't say Torana on it I don't care. Anything will propell a vehicle that is small enough and light enough, and pretty much anything will end up with decent fuel economy if it's small enough and light enough

V8 models wouldn't even be necessary - not that they appeal to the market now. If I were going a new performance car it would be an F6 Typhoon, not a GT-P or anything, and that's in the heavy body of a Falcon, imagine how lethal something like that would be in a revamped Torrie!

If they pulled it off, as if you wouldn't want one?

A RWD ~1050kg sedan with a ~3L six banger, good looks, reduced luxuries and safety equipment, Commodore brakes on Early Holden Stud Pattern with HSV brake options, plenty of performance models and different bold insignia and paintjobs.

Yum

EDIT:

seriously it looks like a bloody vectra. but i do think it would be fun wth a gen 4 in it

lol you do realise it already has a Twin Turbo V6?

Edited by Heath, 20 August 2006 - 03:38 PM.

#28 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:26 PM

EDIT:

seriously it looks like a bloody vectra. but i do think it would be fun wth a gen 4 in it

lol you do realise it already has a Twin Turbo V6?

bahhhhhhhhh theres no substitute for cubic inches, lets stick the twin turbos on the gen 4 now that would be fun :spoton:

#29 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

**Drools** TT 6.0 in a mid-sized car...

RIM

#30 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:08 PM

Great idea Heath, but where do you fit the 3 teenage kids when you go on a holiday ? The idea of a Commy or Falcon is that they are a family car. A mid sized car is great for a second car but most families enjoy the space on offer from our 2 Aussie icons.

#31 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:29 PM

lol leave them at home :spoton:

If you can go on a holiday in an Astra, you could do it in a car this size.

#32 Joshua

Joshua

Lotsa Posts!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:46 PM

Family holidays are over rated

And i also think that the Torana name shouldnot be reused, because if there car ends up being the the concept one then it'll suck. So they should think of a new name. fresh and exciting one.

Edited by Joshua, 20 August 2006 - 09:59 PM.

#33 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

Who buys Torana's for the family to ride in?

My pick TT LS7............

G..

#34 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

If its a Torana, it either has to be packin a hot 6 or a V8. Simple as that.

RIM

#35 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

They could re-introduce a turbo Sunbird model, ROFLMAO!

I can see it already...

SUNBIRD
Turbo

Edited by Heath, 21 August 2006 - 09:01 PM.

#36 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

Why?

RIM

#37 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

They may have to build the TT36 very quickly if GMH can't get parts from Ajax in Braeside soon.

#38 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

Good point, but I don't think the TT36 actually has a driveline :tease:

#39 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

Not another Flintstones job.

#40 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

They are importing all their stuf from GMs european and american divisions to combat the shortage. they said on the news that ford couldnt do it tho, so does that mean that aussie falcons are substantiallydifferent from overseas ford models?? anyways, has to be expensive for Holden to be improting all that shit. but typical of multinational corps to bicker over who pays the larger share to underwrite the company till a buyer is found.

#41 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:45 AM

Thats what happens when you out source bits. You may have a bit of bargining power but you loose control when some one elses trouble turns to shite.

What happened to the good old days of making everything inhouse to be self sufficent.

Oh and as for the so called Torana concept. I wish they would shelve that one as the attempt was pathetic. Crappy euro trash Vectra trying to be an Aussie icon. Throw out the idea and start again I say.

Edited by HatchmanSS76, 22 August 2006 - 02:49 AM.

#42 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:58 AM

I reckon I'd almost have to agree with Hatchman ^^^. If we wanted something like that we have plenty of BMW's and VW Euro cars with turbo's and diesel etc. to pick from. Why not create something Australian, o.k, it doesn't have to be miles behind the rest of the world but something that shows our car culture and keeps it going...

#43 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

I think the Vectra is quite a nice looking car. It already sports a 3.2L V6, but it's front wheel drive and too big IMO. If it has a really nice six speed manual, RWD and a performance-based model or something, it would be far more appealing. Not bad as is, but too big and too heavy still.

I'm debating moreso about what could keep Holden alive and what would be a happy medium between a revhead's needs/taste and a conservative small family's needs/taste... rather than what would be a great Aussie icon and refreshment of Holden's ideas (all aussie made & designed etc), I think that last part would be asking too much.

Yes, the Torana was very similar to the Vectra and it's nothing like what a Torana should be, but I thought it was bloody nice. If that had actually been brought into production, they would have given it a nice charcoal interior, removed all the christmas tree lighting crap which would have been awesome, but they would have dumped the twin turbo idea as well probably :(

#44 _SLR_Dreamin_

_SLR_Dreamin_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

I hated the TT36 when they released the concept. I was ashamed that it was associated with the Torana name.
It has now grown on me and I like the look. I would prefer, as most of us would, a retro version of an LH or LX, which would be awesome.

I think plans for a rear wheel drive medium car in 4 or 6 cyl is a good idea too. then put it on LPG and I am sold. I guess it comes down to what your individual needs are.
I can see a lot fo folks dumping the stock engine and dropping in a Gen4 or similar, which keeps the V8 community happy too, as you know HSV would no doubt do something similar. How could they resist?

#45 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

You and I seem to be thinking on the same frequency mate, that is exactly what I mean :spoton:

Ford has been producing vehicles with LPG from the factory (this allows for it to play a part in the design of the floorpan etc so you don't have a tank against the back seat in a wagon for example), why couldn't Holden do the same thing?

Holden Special Vehicles would have a field day putting the Commodore HSV gear into a smaller car and getting twice the performance for the same price :tease:

#46 _lxss_

_lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:29 PM

The fj50 concept car, efijy, i think is a great concept car that should go into production. If the new torana was built in this style it would have my vote. Damn i wish they released that efijy. A torana built retro with modern instruments. Amazing.
BTW. Im not against having 4cyl and 6cyl but it should also include the v8. Once again a world leader to offer 3 different power plants in one body design. Thats just my 2cents. :D

#47 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

That is a good point... hmm relating to oldschool Toranas, you reckon the hot six version of the new one could have triple throttle bodies an XU-1 spec cam mounted overhead? :tease:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users