truck battery

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

has any one swaped there standared battrey for abig truck one and did they find any diffrence bwjth the change

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

no, I havent put a truck battery in my car
Sure it would make a difference....... would make the car lean to one side.....

Edited by devilsadvocate, 20 August 2006 - 07:50 PM.

#3 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:52 PM

I run a truck/4wd battery in the wagon, :spoton: good thing if you have lots of compression in your engine combo...........

#4 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:58 PM

thanks steve thats whanted to hear when you come over i will be strechin the wheel arches too i cant help myself

#5 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

Would it not be just easier to fit a Higher CCA Rated battery that is the same size and would still fit in the same position??

#6 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

it is the boot in a box in the boot so size is not the issue

#7 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

But if you put another one in the same box its one thing less thats gotts be changed.

That is unless you simply enjoy throwing money away or were planning on modifying stuff anyway. Its not the physical size of the battery that matters.

#8 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

i dont have a battery at allive been useing the one out of my every day car and it wont start my motor and i understand what you are saying with cca this is why im weighing up my options

#9 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:06 PM

If you are actually having trouble turning your motor over, establish what the problem is, the cca rating of a truck battery is needed for turning the starter motors on truck engines, not cars.
It may be that your starter isnt powerful enough to do the job or that you have poor connections in your present starter circuit or your present battery has had it.

You can estabish this by:

1. Establishing the voltage of the battery while cranking, if it drops below 10V, the battery most likely needs replacing or is not up to the output required of your starter. A typical car starter should only draw enough current to drop the voltage of a car battery in good condition below 10V when it is nearly stalled.
Even if you have 5 truck batteries in parallel, the available voltage will still be only 12V and only a theoretical 20% in cranking speed could be achieved over a regular battery that might drop to 10V when cranking.

2. If the voltage doesnt drop by at least to 10.5V, you have high resistance in your circuit somewhere.

3. Connect a 2nd battery in parallel, (as in jump starting). If the motor cranks faster here then:
a: present battery has had it or you really do need a bigger battery, try another good regular battery first.
If the motor cranks at the same speed:
a: you have high resistance connections(voltage when cranking >10.5) or
b: bigger battery will achieve nothing, perhaps looking at a higher power starter.

#10 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:19 AM

if you suspect the battery is at fault just take it to a good auto elec who can test it for you. I test alot of automotive batteries in my own business with my load tester which can easily let me see if the voltage drops with increased Amps, up to 1000 Amps load. Very simple and effective test.

If another battery still doesnt start the engine, as the devil has said check the cable and connections between the battery and starter motor. Make sure there is also a heavy lead from the battery neg all the way to the starter or engine block as well as the positive lead, unless you are absolutely sure that the body is a good conductor of hundreds of Amps, which I doubt very much. Ensure the main pos lead is of sufficient thickness to withstand the current required over the distance from the rear to the front of the car. Again, if unsure check with a good auto elec, or if you know the cable size tell us and we'll let you know if its sufficient.

If your engine has very high compression like Steves wagon (well the 350 did anyway :D ) then a higher output starter may be required. If it runs ok on anything avail from the pump then the standard starter motor will be fine, look for something else unless the starter has carked it anyway, but of course if you can jump start it then the starter is not at fault.

As for a bigger battery being better, not always true. It will only supply high starting current for a longer period of time, nothing else. If your engine is tuned correctly there is no need for a bigger/truck battery.
Also a truck battery may actually harm your starter motor, simply by allowing you to crank the engine over for a long period of time, thus heating it up considerably and burning it out. The battery dies for two reasons, 1- because its flat, and 2- to protect the starter from internally cooking. But, as above if your engine is tuned correctly this shouldnt be a problem anyway.

Personally, I rekon dont waste your money by getting a more expensive battery, and secondly you'll use more fuel dragging the additional weight around anyway.

#11 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

I recommend one of those red dry cell batteries, there awesome, terminals can be moved to suit your application and there"dry cell" so no leakage .
I seen a test they did on one, hammered a 2 foot bar straight through the guts of it whilst still connected to the car. turned the key and it started.
There is 75 foot of lead in them
High CCA aswell, but there like $300.

That and a gear reduction starter with good connections and you should be able to flip the car on its roof.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#12 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

we got one with a box in a torry we bought a while back. still use it to start cars in absence or in laziness to get another battery out of another car etc. works well and never needs chargin (one of the no leak type ones) but ways a forking tonne. which could come in handy to ofset the weight of the driver when they are in the car by themselves.

#13 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

Small battery and real big cable to starter, will fix voltage drop. Why build a light car, then start adding weight you don't need. Those truck battery are like a extra person in your car.

#14 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:20 PM

hay colin you are right mate im a few truck batterys to hevey already mate i have ordered a gear red starter from bersons only $185 and im going to shorting the power cable my half and i tyhink that will solve the problem ill keep yous posted and thanks for every ones ideas :spoton:

#15 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

Lurkin 308, did you do some of the basic tests suggested to see that the starter was the problem?

#16 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

yeah tryed everthing leads battery starter too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users