New exhaust

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

Need to fit a new exhaust and extractors to my torrie but unsure which path i should take either get a new dual of go for a single.
which will make the highest power?

any suggestions from what you guys have done that you would recommend

and
has anyone got any places to reccomend for building new exhausts.
Living in VIC (eastern side if possible)
Driving LH 4 door 308

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

You will have lots of suggestions for the Eastern Side of Melbourne, it's probably the most popular place to live on this forum, :spoton:

Single or Dual, which flows better? Depends on what sizes.
What are the specs on your motor? Standard/a bit warm? or wildly worked?

I've seen single 3" systems fitted to quite hot 308s, and twin 2" or 2-1/4" fitted to warm motors. I think the standards was a twin 1-3/4" system or something wasn't it?

A single system can be just as good as a twin system, but you've gotta make sure you've got the right size (unless there's forced induction involved) to get a vaguely correct backpressure for optimum performance.

Also depends on what amount of mufflers/hotdogs/resonators you want to run, have you already got some extractors in mind? and more importantly, a price range?

But yeah, I'd say list some more specs of the motor, I take it you'll want it suitable for street use? so not too loud. etc and some other points to make it a little easier to find what you want.

#3 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:36 PM

got mild cam manifold

price range is up for what i can get power wise
street noise not the biggest issue for myself as mr plod would have a field day if they caught me anyway

#4 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

extractors im thinkin pacemakers or genie but open to suggestions

#5 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

And what is back pressure exactly?

#6 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

I'd go for Pacemaker extractors and a twin 2 1/2" system, a couple of Magna flow (or similar) mufflers. I had this system on my 304 LH which was mildly worked and it produced 265Hp on the rear wheels through a Toploader and 9". Fun to drive and sounded great.

#7 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

so their was enough clearance to bend the 2 1/2 over the diff
great
what was the damage of the whole package

#8 _BoltZ_

_BoltZ_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

I got stung aroung $800 for mine a few years ago for a dual 2.5" with stainless mufflers.. although i already had extractors for it. Be sure to get a balancer pipe, or ideally an X pipe, otherwise it'll sound like crap!

Cheers

#9 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

800 on an system jeez

had a look at a couple of sites at these x pipe systems
a two torries look like they do it performancewise

#10 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Made a mistake before with the size, exhaust was 2 1/4" with 2 1/2" tail pipes, had a balance pipe as well. The extractors were Genie not Pacemaker, they had to be modified to fit where as the new Pacemakers will bolt straight up with no mods. I will be getting Pacemaker next time for the new 304 motor I have to go into the car. The whole system cost $1200 but that was 10 years ago.

#11 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

anyone know of good places to get exhaust made

#12 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:20 PM

go for the twin, for sure

#13 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

Pacemakers are the most commonly used I think. You just buy an off the shelf set for the LH 308. They are a Tri Y setup with 1 5/8 primaries I think, which would be about what you are after I'd think. Only thing is are you running a High Energy sump, if so they won't clear, which is why mine are a custom set. There was talk of Pacemaker fixing this problem, don't know if the new pipes have hit the market or what tho... Twin 2 1/4 system would be good too, bigger tail pipes are personal and so are the X pipes I reckon, there is evidence for both sides on that one.

As for exhuast bloke, mine is shutting up shop in 1 week so can't help you there, must be some other ones around someone could suggest.

Cheers,

#14 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

Pacemakers are the most commonly used I think.� You just buy an off the shelf set for the LH 308.� They are a Tri Y setup with 1 5/8 primaries I think, which would be about what you are after I'd think.� Only thing is are you running a High Energy sump, if so they won't clear, which is why mine are a custom set.� There was talk of Pacemaker fixing this problem, don't know if the new pipes have hit the market or what tho... Twin 2 1/4 system would be good too, bigger tail pipes are personal and so are the X pipes I reckon, there is evidence for both sides on that one.

Cheers,

if fitting Pacemakers pipes to cars with High Energy sumps, when ordering from High Energy just tell them that you will be running Pacemakers and they will modify it for you.

Edited by RTS Guy, 23 August 2006 - 08:53 AM.

#15 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

just for information in regards to noise, im running pace maker extractors on a stroked 308, with twin 2 1/4 pipes, balance pipe, then going into lukey straight flow mufflers and from the muffler on each side, 2 1/2 tail pipes and it was tested at 96.7 db, so only just over. although im still wishing i went for the dump pipes before the diff but next time :spoton:

#16 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:20 AM

^^^ I think noise levels are an individual thing. You just go for the best setup (the straight through mufflers etc.) and then test it and make changes after that if necessary. My 308 stroker with straight through mufflers AND 18" hotdogs made 109db.

Peace,

#17 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:34 AM

I am about to fit up a full twin 2.5 inch system on my Hatch running a pretty warm 350.

Simply putting in a balance pipe about level with the end of the gearbox between the two sides to even the sound out. They sound like crap to me without this.

I am lucky in that its actually my Uncle who has been an exahust fitter for 25years thats doing mine.

While on the subject though, I need the rear hanger that bolts to the body just in front of the rear diff on the drivers side for the system.
I have put an "ad" in the wanted section but thought that maybe I might have better luck here! ;)

#18 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

pacemakers into 2 1/4 system with dumpers on the end sounds like the way i wanna go :spoton:

#19 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

Liam 109db

that will wake the neibours two suburbs over at idle

#20 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

^^^ 90db at idle, the 109 was at 3300, the EPA testing rpm. But yes, there was no doubt you were coming. Ppl used to be waiting for me at their front door when I would come over, they could hear me far enough away to get up and come to the door, hehe.

Have had a muffler change since then, don't know what the db is.

#21 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

Thats Making a entrance :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users