- - - - -

soon to titivate a torana

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

hey everyone im just about to get my car in january and i am turning 17 next august i am planning to get a manual lx hatch and drop a 308 in it with a 4 or 5 speed (undecided) and i am planing minor mads such as full 3 inch exaust and extractors with a twin or 4 barrel holley carberator( undecided as i am new into the v8 world used to be a shitty ricer burner kid but now i am with the big boys :) lol ) and lumpy cams.... what do you think ... any recomendations would be very helpfull as i am new to the v8's???

#2 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

Good to see a new bloke getting into toranas. :)
I would go a twin system exhaust not a single 3" as they tend to drone a bit and get annoying IMHO. other than that sounds like a good start.
Good luck
Mick
Also go the 4 barrel .unless you want economy.

#3 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:50 PM

cool thanks mate ye i meant twin also look bad ass with both tips out the back :D how much do you rekon id be lookin at there for the engine gear box and all mods im trying to keep to a budgjet of 5000 seeing as im on apprenticeship money but if that some how creeps towards ten ill just have to work harder :lol:

#4 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:20 PM

How long is a piece of string??
Its a bit hard to say, new exhaust and extractors would fetch close to $800 or more depending on muffler choice and mild or stainless steel etc. second hand donk could be from $ 300 to ??? depending on what is done to it . gearboxes $150 up depending on M20, muncie, etc . 5 speed will generally be more than a four speed.
Maybe try and get a half decent motor and box for about $1000 to $2000 and work on it fron ther.
For a comparison a friend just freshened his up with a few extras and it cost him $3500.00 (manifold, cam, headwork, carbi extractors etc .
depends on how stock or wild you want your motor.
For $5 grand you should get pretty decent running gear though.

#5 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

What state are you in Hurricane? In victoria you can't drive a 308 on your P's. Plans sound good but I'd go for a smaller exhaust than 3inch!

#6 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

im in WA would you go more a 2.5 twin?? as i said i dont know so much about eights lol

#7 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:05 PM

I think for a mild 308, 2 1/2 should be fine. That's what my A9X has (or near enough!) and it performs well. Still loud enough for some policeman to send a notice to the EPA for excessive noise :unsure: - it still passed though, just.

#8 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:52 AM

Droning noise and 17.....par for the course.

Been there, done that.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 13 December 2005 - 09:53 AM.

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:22 AM

When u say u want to spend about 5-maybe ten.. is that just on running gear? Cos getting a hatch and running gear in for under 10 will be very difficult lol

Agree with Flamenco on the Exhaust, a twin 3 inch system is way too big, technically its like a 6inch single lol! 2 1/4 is normally perfect, then have like 3 inch end pipes or something to make it look phat!

Good to see you have steered away from the Rice! and come to play with us big boys!

Also i would definiatly go for a 4 Barrel Carby setup! Heaps more power out of them!

U cna find a 308 block etc for around 300 these days easy and then get it rebuilt with all new bits for about 1-2000 depending on who u know etc! lol Get a cam, Elec Dizzy, Good Carby, Extractors, Good Exhaust and u will have good power out the engine, Also i would reccomend a stronger Diff as well, The old Banjos just blow! too weak, get a 9 inch to put in the back (about $1500)

Anyway good to have another young guy like u keen on Torries! and V8's!!

#10 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

whats an elec dizzie???... and how much do you think getiin all the engine mods and engine rebuilt and a nice new black paint job would cost??? (have no idea on paint cost on a torana???) i have guessed about 7500 so if i budget on 10 grand including car purchase would that be a good estimate???

#11 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:06 PM

Well i spent about 9grand on mine getting it too look like it is. But With that i did all the body work and paint myelf, got parts very cheaps ie flares, wheels, droptank I got my 253 Fully Rebuilt which cost me about 1500, then i had a further grand or so at the mechanics getting it upto roadworthy.

#12 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:08 PM

I suggest you look for a car thats already finished, a basic engine rebuild by someone else would probably cost $2500 for a basic job depending on how much machining is needed. My rebuild was around $5500 ($1200 just on machining) and i already had a few good bits on it. A decent paint job will be $5000 + not including rust work. Obviously if you can do any of the work yourself you'll save money. Start looking in the Quokka for prices you can pick up second hand motors for fairly cheap. If i'd known that i was going to spend as much as i did i would have fitted a chev 350 as it would cost the same but have more power.

#13 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

i was planing to buy the parts myself and rebuild the engine myself but im not to sure and for paintwork i know someone in that industry that can get it done for about 1500-2000if the 350 costs the same ill definitly get a 350 ....mabey a 454 lol(doubt it) .... i plan to have mine look like 253toranaSS's but in black ... by the way 253toranaSS do you mean it cost you nine grand for everything or just mechanical and is it easy to get them road worthy???

p.s sorry for all the questions but dont know much about the v8's and toranas :)

#14 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:31 PM

Id steer away from the 350 Chev and build a Holden stroker... ie 355 or 383. At least extractors are available off the shelf, and you've got more chance of getting it licensed here in WA.

#15 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

Buy the UC that's on Ebay... That's a damn fine car. :(

#16 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:14 PM

i havnt got 11g and im not a fan of uc's i prefer the lx and lh models i might just stick with the 308 for now and would it really cost 5000 to get the engine rebuilt and roadworthy???

#17 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:27 AM

If it was a full rebuild - not just reusing anything that wasn't broken then yes... Might be easier to get a 308 that you know is in pretty good nick and drop that in - or buy one where someone else has done all the hard work.

#18 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:11 AM

i plan to have mine look like 253toranaSS's but in black ... by the way 253toranaSS do you mean it cost you nine grand for everything or just mechanical and is it easy to get them road worthy???

Hey, Mine cost about 9 Grand all up, i got my body for $900 it was complete then (Check out my webpage www.operationtorana.tk ) I Reccomend just getting a 308 and work the tits off that, a lot easier to get it on the road.

With RW it helps if you know a good person to help you out and wont be extremely padantic on everything, or else the costs will sky rocket. If the car is completely finished when u get a RW on it its a lot easier cos it looks good haha

#19 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:20 PM

what about crate engines i saw a 383 stroker in perth street car for 5000 upfront it had somthing like 300hp and 400nm of torque... and by getting it RW what do you recomend gettin done so its not to illegal but still road worhty enough to pass pits???

#20 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:31 PM

im building up a LH Torana and i didnt want to spend too much but so far its around $12,000.
$2300 for a 74' LH Slr M20 trans 2.78 diff - motor blew smoke and paint pretty ratty.
$400 for Turbo 350 Trans + $50 shift kit.
$900 for 9in diff with lsd and 2.75 gears + disc brakes.
$1200 for 15x8 + 15x10in dragway indys with brand new tyres + 275/50/15 rear tyres.
$4000 for short 308 currently getting rebuilt - steel crank, roller rockers, very aggressive camshaft, forged pistons, heads flow 482HP - engine pumps 450 - 470 with right setup.
$500 for MSD Digital 6 ignition system.
$175 for PC-9000 race dizzy.
$170 for ford au twin thermo fans.
$180 for edelbrock single plane torker manifold.
$175 for new moulded carpet.
$600 for holley 750 Double pumper carby.
$280 for high energy sump.
thats all i can think of right now, also give a few hundred for little parts here and there - H4 headlamps, edelbrock air filter etc.
i still havent got me stall converter yet and that will be another $600 - $800 ( i want a good one cause i might get a trans brake) also a b&m shifter - another $300, the full bodykit - another $550, fuel cell maybe - couple of hundred, amp and headunit - over $500, Brake upgrade - $1100
And i still need a new paintjob and i dont feel like spending $5000.

But i love the car, i know every inch of it, but damn it shits me to tears sometimes - I just wanna get it on the road!

Id say spend $10,000 on a really done up V8 torry and get a pre 76' model cause it will be pre pollution which is what u want, u will be able to use any holley u want and the engine wont be cluttered up with pollution gear + more power.

Ahh thats enough typing for now.

Regards Anthony.

P.S. and i only wanted to spend about 5 - 6000 grand. HA! :blink:

#21 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

I hope i havent scared you off, i might be spending a fair bit of cash but its all high performance stuff, hoping to get it under 11secs down the quarter.
If you found a LH with a good paint job and a healthy standard 308... it will be pretty cheap, you will save a lot of money first up and it will go hard as bguck!
then you could probably do a couple of engine mods to get a bit more power and buy a couple of things for the car to make it look better and you should still be way under $10,000.
Also if you havent driven a v8 torana before, you would be suprised how hard they go, ive only got a 253 in mine at the moment so i can get it roadworthy and it goes pretty hard, smokes up really easy and launches you in your seat on takeoff. So a 308 would be pretty good power to start off with (i dont think you can drive one on your p's but anyhow..). So have a look around and see whats available before making any descisions + run it buy us too when you find something good.

Regards Anthony. B)

#22 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:30 PM

Heya Anthony, just read through that list and unfortunately I can't see any way you'll crack 11s let alone 10s with 2.75 gears and a 308 running a Torker manifold.

#23 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

coll thanks mate(s)

#24 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

the gears will be swapped with 3.8 or 4.11 and 90/10 shocks. Thats what im aiming for anyway, i hope.... :unsure:

#25 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:58 PM

Hey Hurricane, being realistic and at your age and price range, look to spend more up front to buy a better quality of car that's closer to what you want. Don't buy a cheapy then go broke trying to make it into what you want. Also, don't discount any 253s that you see. The LX hatch is reasonably light, and can be made to handle well, so a 253 is a good sized motor for them. Also, try to stick with a decent good quality quadrajet carburettor rather than a Holley. Less hassle with legality, better fuel economy, and in my opinion, a better carby anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users