hidden radio aeiral

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _just_matt_

_just_matt_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

hey,

Got my car back from the painters with the aerial hole closed, and i was thinking about having a hidden aerial.
I was just wondering if anyone knows where they can be bought or just some info about them?

-matt

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:38 AM

only have experience with one that was installed in my car when I purchased it, it had a module/amplifier on it to make the signal large enough........but found the signal strength only moderate and a fair amount of engine (spark noise) leaked through it.
Replaced it with a $5 external area and have never looked back.

#3 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:25 AM

I have an amplified aerial that sits on the inside of the back window ... it's just a small black box about the size of my thumb with a stick surface on one side. It has an extra wire that I have connected to the rear demister ... does the trick...

-Al

#4 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:35 AM

I got one that sits behind the rear view mirror, mounted on windscreen. Cant see it unless you are looking for it.
Black, looks like a thin plastic ice-cream stick, about 8 inches long maybe not as wide, buggas me how it works, was in car when I bought it. Works fine, very nifty idea actually.

Just talk to any stereo installers they seem to know about them ... can add a booster to them if you want but I havent had any need.

#5 _just_matt_

_just_matt_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

mad as, i have found a site that sells them and one is on its way.

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:34 PM

Let us know how you go! I need a stealth ariel too for the HQ...

Ive currently got the litle black box that LC2250 says but i havent powered it up yet! the signal is acceptible as it is!

When i install my new DOOF it'll get powered and fixed to the rear window ( no demister to help with unfortuantely!!)

Cheers

#7 _doucmyuc_

_doucmyuc_
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

a lot fo the jap cars have their aerials in the form of a very thin wire film that runs along the back or front window! they work a treat and hardly ever need a booster with them!

#8 _just_matt_

_just_matt_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:47 AM

cool. its not like im going to be listening to the radio much anyways, i just dont want an aerial :D

#9 _just_matt_

_just_matt_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:44 PM

arrgh, stupid me ordered a stealth mobile phone aerial :angry:
the site doesnt have the radio ones, so im still searching.
Does anyknow know the brand of their stealth type as that will be easyer to find one.
-matt

#10 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

matt, i got mine from aplace called wagner electronics in ashfield sydney.. i think theyve got a website.. Good luck mate!

#11 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

I have a brand new one I am going to get rid of if you are interested

#12 _BoltZ_

_BoltZ_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

I was thinking about this for my torri, however i was just going to do the low budget approach; getting a rubber exterior one and mounting up behind the glovebox...

#13 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

Righto, finally did some pics of my aerial ... didn't get any good ones from outside worst luck. But sorta proves that it is not very visable from there. When you are in the normal seating postion you dont notice it at all. When I first looked at the car before buying it from memory I actually had to ask where the aerial was!!

First one is looking from drivers seat across bonnet thru windscreen. Second is not a real good front shot due to glare and also my tint across top of screen hides it alot(which is the idea of course).
Posted ImagePosted Image

Click on these pics for larger photos ...
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Should give you a fairly good idea of it but there are further pics here. if needed.

#14 _just_matt_

_just_matt_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:53 AM

thanks a bunch palbag, lots of pics :clap:
shall get myself one asap.

#15 _just_matt_

_just_matt_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

Tiny, The one that you got from wagner elec's, does it need to plug onto the rear window demister?

#16 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

Pallbag thats great thanks for those piccies!

Matt:it doesnt HAVE TO plug into the demister.. it just helps you get better reception.

TO be honest ive cable tied it to the bottom dash support.. Yes.. underneath the dash, coiled up the wire, and never powered it up with +12V!

I really cant complain.. its better than nothing, and if it gets 50% better with power then i'd be wrapped! about $20 too! LOL

THe blue wire that goes to the demister just uses the demister as an aerial like new cars... i was actually thinking of screwing it to the car body and using the whole body as an aerial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users