MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:23 PM

Yes this topic has been flogged before but just want to clear something up re the wheel nuts for Sprint masters. Is it the case that the 1st lot of Globe Sprintmasters in 1972 had a tapered wheel nut WITHOUT a washer and the later sprint masters (late 70's and 80's) also had a tapered shank on the nut BUT  used a washer?

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:45 PM

Yes this topic has been flogged before but just want to clear something up re the wheel nuts for Sprint masters. Is it the case that the 1st lot of Globe Sprintmasters in 1972 had a tapered wheel nut WITHOUT a washer and the later sprint masters (late 70's and 80's) also had a tapered shank on the nut BUT  used a washer?

Other way around Mark.

#3 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:22 PM

Oh ok thanks Dave. I was convinced I had it correct. So I'm wondering whether I have the correct wheel nuts fitted to my 1984 vintage Globes as they have washers, and the washers sit nicely in a recess in the wheel?

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:40 PM

You have the same vintage Sprintmasters as me. The only wheel nut I use a flat washer on is the lock nut because it isn't tapered like the original nuts to suit the wheel. Yes the flat washer fits perfectly into the shallow recess above the pressed in tapered steel seat.

#5 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:37 PM

Ok thanks Dave. There's a bloke on E Bay selling re-production new wheel nuts for both the original Globes and the later Globes (one has tapered shaft and other has washer on shaft like mine) and I was thinking of buying but wanted to make sure I was buying the correct ones.

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

Ok thanks Dave. There's a bloke on E Bay selling re-production new wheel nuts for both the original Globes and the later Globes (one has tapered shaft and other has washer on shaft like mine) and I was thinking of buying but wanted to make sure I was buying the correct ones.

Hi Mark, I just had a look at ebay but I couldn't find anyone selling wheel nuts to suit Sprintmasters. I would be interested to see which type of tapered seat nuts he is selling as so far I have been unable to find new replacement wheel nuts to suit our early 80's vintage sprintmasters.

Edited by S pack, 12 April 2020 - 07:58 PM.

#7 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:55 PM

Hey Dave. I'll send ya spare set I have if you want some.

#8 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:26 PM

Hi Mark, I just had a look at ebay but I couldn't find anyone selling wheel nuts to suit Sprintmasters. I would be interested to see which type of tapered seat nuts he is selling as so far I have been unable to find new replacement wheel nuts to suit our early 80's vintage sprintmasters.

That will be Brent cnc or whatever he calls himself. He does a really good job, a group of us actually supplied the original nuts for the 2 sorts of original early style Sprintmasters. The nut with the flat tip & the pointed style for the globes.

#9 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:19 PM

Thanks Gary. Sorry to harp on this but I might not have explained myself correctly in my original post relating to the word I used 'tapered' wheel nut. See attached photos. The single photo is the wheel nuts that came with my 1985 dated Globes. You can't see the washer as its stuck in the recess in the wheel so couldn't remove it for the photo. The 2nd photo shows a new wheel nut (on the right) which I was forced to buy from the local mag wheel place as I didn't have a full set of the original nuts (on the left). The taper I was referring to in my original post was only the slight taper at the start of the shank. Not the whole of the shank. So my question is. Do I need to buy from the bloke on e bay the nuts advertised with the washers attached?

Attached Files

#10 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:48 PM

Mark, this is the correct wheel nut for your Sprintmasters.

Attached Files

Edited by S pack, 13 April 2020 - 07:49 PM.

#11 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:49 PM

Attached File  IMG_0677.JPG   297.39K   12 downloads

#12 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:34 PM

This is all I can tell you Mark -  my wheels are 82 vintage and they came new with the '400' wheel nuts and washers.

Wheels don't have  CSA, 6JJ 13 , P18  ect on the outside of the spoke webbings like some later ones do .

#13 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:51 PM

All Sprint masters from the second 73 until 1982 received the 400 nut ..........All sprint masters after 82 are taper nuts worth more In scrap metal
There are two types of second month 73s one with a flat back and one with a rounded back on the rear of the rim. Cheers

#14 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:18 PM

Actually after what Anthony said I thought I would double check the date on my Globes and turns out I was wrong. They are dated 1982. I assume CSA bought out Globe after 1982?? hence the comment by Anthony that they are no good after that date?

I also have a new in the box set of 4 x CSA Sprintmasters that came with this car and they have different wheel nuts to the Globe brand of Sprintmasters. They have the ugly tyre size writing cast on the outside of the wheels whereas the Globes are on the inside of the rim.

Attached Files

#15 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:31 PM

Actually after what Anthony said I thought I would double check the date on my Globes and turns out I was wrong. They are dated 1982. I assume CSA bought out Globe after 1982?? hence the comment by Anthony that they are no good after that date?

I also have a new in the box set of 4 x CSA Sprintmasters that came with this car and they have different wheel nuts to the Globe brand of Sprintmasters. They have the ugly tyre size writing cast on the outside of the wheels whereas the Globes are on the inside of the rim.

Mark, I'm sure you've heard of the old saying about "opinions........................................................................................."

Looking at your sprintmasters mine are exactly the same castings as yours, just made after 82 (but before the wheels with the info cast into the face of the spoke webs) and utilize different wheel nuts.

#16 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 06:08 AM

Sorry to re-hash an old and well worn post, but I'm still chasing ten (10) 82 vintage Globe sprintmaster wheel nuts as depicted in my original photo. Not sure if someone has started to make these since this post or if anyone has a spare 10 originals which look like my photo they want to sell me. Feel free to rip me off (I'm serious) as I need them so I can dump the cheap shit aftermarket ones I'm currently using on two of the wheels as they're hollow and the head cap falls off them.

#17 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:10 AM

Hi Mark,

I have these 7 wheel nuts that were on my XU-1, are they any good to you?

I might have more, will have to have a good hunt through my spare parts collection. I also have some that look like the picture that S pac posted.

Cheers Kev

Attached Files

#18 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Kev. I'll take anything at the moment. Perhaps send me a PM with what you want for them. They appear to be exactly what I already have on two of the wheels currently on the car. S Pacs photo appears to have a taper where the shank meets the hex portion of the nut, which mine doesn't have as it sits flat with the flat washer in the wheel, but if you have some of these I'll taken them as well because I can always machine the face slightly.

Edited by MFM, 10 August 2022 - 12:38 PM.

#19 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 August 2022 - 04:38 PM

No problem Mark, here's a photo of all the wheel nuts I've managed to find.

I'd be happy instead of you paying me directly if you could make a payment to Dattoman for hosting the forum.

Just work out what you reckon is a fair amount and send it to him. Include a bit for postage, which should be about $10. I'll pay for that.

Just give me your postal address via PM I'll mail off the wheel nuts tomorrow.

Cheer Kev

Attached Files

#20 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Kev shall do. Just gotta work out how to pay it to the forum ? I'll send you a PM and perhaps I could pay you and you contribute the amount to the forum. 

#21 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:25 PM

Anyone with a lathe should be able to convert the three odd nuts to match the other seven pretty easily.

#22 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:38 PM

that's what I had in mind, then see if they can all be re-chromed. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users