ENGINES TOO TIGHT

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

I have just rebuilt my 202 red with same stock pistons, but with new rings, and bearings. I also put in a new rear rope seal but now I have put the engine back into the car the engine will not crank over. Its locked and I cant move if the car is in gear. Any ideas??

#2 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

pull the sparkplugs out, then try and crank it.

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Did you remove the transportation screw :nada:

#4 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

Did u roll the engine over by hand after the new bearings were fitted and then the new rope seal.

Are the bearings oversized that u fitted, i remember my rope seal made mine alot tighter once fitted but i could still roll it over.

Does it roll either way, could one of the rings some how jammed up.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#5 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

is it just your starter motor that is cactus?

Can you put a socket and breaker bar on the harmonic balancer and spin the crank?

cheers julian

#6 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

Are you sure you marked & fitted all the right caps to the correct rods ?

Did you check directions of the caps in relation to the bearing notches ?

What tensions ?? 70ftlb mains & 25ftlb for rods (bot with a drop of oil on the threads & under the bolt/nut heads).

Did you trial fit the crank & all tensioned up before removing it to fit the rear main ?

How much bearing clearance, end float etc etc.

Probly safer to remove it now & at least drop the sump & have a look, the bearings are probly trying to rip themselves apart.

#7 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

Hi

Did you clean the ring grooves correctly? The same thing happened to me years ago - turns out the ring grooves weren't cleaned properly.

Bazza

#8 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

"cant move if car is in gear"!! I think you may have found the solution.

#9 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

have you replace the oil pump? i had the same problem when i put my motor in, its funny how much easier things are when you prime the oil pump

#10 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

I had a Cooper S motor done by Repco once...they cut all mains at 0.20...the last one was 0.10...it happens...Hope thats not it. I am with To Fly..if it dont work in gear...and does out...its the drivetrain...
R

Edited by rorym, 28 August 2006 - 05:46 PM.

#11 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

With regards to the drivetrain...

If it's a manual and you painted the flywheel, get under and pry the clutch off the flywheel... I did this (why didnt my car go anywhere, and not go into gear while switched on)?!?! I pulled the engine out again to find that the clutch was the prob and pulled it off the flywheel, put the show back together and drove it that night...

If it wont turn over, please tell me you used engine rebuild grease/lubricant on all your bearings and what not. Plenty of oil in the bores prior to putting the pistons in, and i hope you turned the motor by hand a few times before you put the head and sump on...

If it's been sitting for a while it could just be a case of 'turn me over once a week sir'... put it in second, roll down hill. The motor will turn over...

Cheers
Keith

#12 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

The car is not in gear, starter motor is fine (just not strong enough to crank engine), all of the bearing caps are the correct way and correct order, the oil pump is irrelavant concidering I cant get the engine to turn over to get the oil pump working, the engine did crank over (although it was f#$king tight) by hand when the sump was still off. I dont know whats going on. Just not happy I have to pull it all out now that its all back in a ready to go. Just another test from the Holden gods!!

#13 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Now dont laugh at this..(1974).we had a simliar problem...we hooked on a tow rope...dragged it around the block 3 times behind a ute...this loosened up the motor, pumped up the oil and generally got things moving ...I must admit..agricultral...but very effective and was the tightest thing this side of a 15 y.o.! :ph34r: Worth a think...
R

#14 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

was the tightest thing this side of a 15 y.o.!
R

im sorry rory i couldnt resist but i dont know what girls you were hanging around when you were 15 coz whan i was 15 all the girls i knew were like buckets of warm water :tease: :tease:

#15 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

thanks rorym. I thought about this but i dont want to stuff any of the bearings. Believe me I have seriosuly concidered this idea.

#16 _jimjet61_

_jimjet61_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

rorym's suggestion above is worth a try. Whenever I put engines back together I always turn it over at least one revolution after each main cap or piston is installed so if there is a problem you pick it up straight away. Did you roll in the rope seal properly? and did the crank turn over freely after that b4 you installed the pistons. Good Luck.

#17 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

^ bloody hell rory you must have a good memory... must be a few decades back...

#18 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

Thanks heaps for all the suggestions. Where else to get better advice. I guess its a case of trial and error. First time at a rebuild and all went perfect until now. The only solution is to pull it out and strip it down again and try each cap one by one. Let the fun begin. I will post what happens. CHEERS ALL!!!

#19 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

was the tightest thing this side of a 15 y.o.!
R

im sorry rory i couldnt resist but i dont know what girls you were hanging around when you were 15 coz whan i was 15 all the girls i knew were like buckets of warm water :tease: :tease:

i didnt think this conversation could get anymore sus!

i was wrong!

A1

#20 _SSL31_

_SSL31_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

rope seal bind! has it been tunnel bored?

#21 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:21 PM

IMHO, I would say its the rope seal, what process did you use when you put it in?

#22 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

All is good now. My mate sold me .010 oversized bearings. Dropped in some STD ones and all is sweet as. Purrs like a kitten. Cheers for all the help. :clap:

#23 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

:blink: You mean you didn't check the bearings... or the clearances...

#24 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

Yeah true about the clearances, but it had to be something simple didnt it, at least it was easy to find.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#25 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

i cant believe people just wack bearings and shit in without checking clearances, FAR OUT MAN :fool:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users