#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:17 PM

Hi all.  I am mounting the battery in the hatch area and trying to find battery post covers that will fit the type of battery in the pic.  I think I can find something that will do the front posts but can't seem to find anything that will cover the top posts (which won't be used).  I can unbolt the actual post and just leave the bolt exposed but would still like that covered somehow. BTW the battery shop weren't really sure of a solution. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:11 PM

If the terminals un-screw then you must be able to make a plastic cap that screws on instead?

#3 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:17 PM

Electrical Conduit fittings ?

#4 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:21 PM

Put it in a battery box.

#5 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:48 AM

Thanks guys.  

I could screw a plastic cap on but I would still have a screw/bolt exposed at the top.  

I'll do some research on the million or so conduit fittings lol.  Surely something there.

I had thought about a battery box but I didn't think they were mounted solidly enough and most seemed to be too tall to fit under the lip section in the hatch, so I've gone with a tray with bolt down brackets.

There are plenty that could be used if the wires were coming from the top posts but not where you have the flat front mount.  Again I chose the front mount option in the hope that they would be a bit more protected. 

Cheers Ron

#6 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:39 PM

So you put the box on top of your tray and run the battery clamp through the bottom of the box. The lid covers your top terminals and you can run your cables through the sides of the box wherever you like.

#7 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Rexy.  Sometimes I get so focussed on one aspect that the obvious option doesn't readily come to mind.  I will do some research on boxes.  Cheers Ron

#8 belly67

belly67

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Car:Torana LX Hatchback

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

Look at knukoceptz ultimate battery terminals. I am doing something similar in my hatch.

Then you can run cables over the back of the battery out of sight.

#9 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:40 PM

Thanks I'll sus them out.  Cheers Ron

#10 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

Hi all.  I am mounting the battery in the hatch area and trying to find battery post covers that will fit the type of battery in the pic.  I think I can find something that will do the front posts but can't seem to find anything that will cover the top posts (which won't be used).  I can unbolt the actual post and just leave the bolt exposed but would still like that covered somehow. BTW the battery shop weren't really sure of a solution. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  Cheers Ron

How tall is that battery?

Space is pretty tight when mounting in the hatch area. 

Attached File  ED01FFA6-5021-44F0-8349-F157B8EF24F4.jpeg   132.67K   1 downloads

I had to hunt around a bit to find a battery that was short enough to fit in a box under the hatch floor.
The one I ended up using is approx 17 cm high including terminals.

I made my own metal securing plate as the usual fragile plastic arch was too high.

Attached File  CB08AA01-4033-4F0E-8677-567757809730.jpeg   110.77K   1 downloads

#11 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 02:15 PM

Here's a pic Rexy.  I have about the thickness of a piece of cardboard between the top of the bracket and the underside of the panel.  I spent a lot of time trying to find the strongest battery (within reason) with the focus on dimensions.  Even buying a tray had it's own set of problems.  The actual battery I wanted was an Odyssey as pictured but believe it or not, they don't import this model into Australia.  I suspect I will find a battery box that I will need to modify which will be fine, if Dan ever let's us out of home detention.  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#12 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 11 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

You could make up a screw on cover, and then have a plug to go in the hole that is left.

I regularly throw away plugs that fit nicely into the unused conduit holes in electrical stuff.

Probably take some fiddling.

To make life easier you could use a 20mm or 25mm bit of threaded conduit fitting.

You can get the small threaded bits in various sizes.

Cheers

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users