#126 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 12 December 2022 - 04:54 PM

Got the ends done into the Master... came up pretty good.

Also had a Driveshaft made.

I need to pull the diff out to finish painting under the floor with POR15 then I need to sort a fuel tank and lines.

Not much left and the underside of the car will be done...still lots to go on the topside though!!

Attached Files

#127 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:03 PM

Update time...

Over the Xmas break I got a few days in on this.

I decided to put Ute bed liner on the rear half under the floor and in the rear wheel tubs. Plus there were a few spots inside the boot that had peeled off due to contamination so I had to re-do a few spots.

I repainted the Diff, boxed the lower arms, installed new shocks and springs.

took some fun photo's with the springs out too, just to see it dumped on it's guts :P

installed read window glass, painted the rear quarter window frames in Gloss 2k black.

I've re-fitted the front doors and front clip. All these panels are in High build primer so I'm going to block everything down to get the body lines nice and matched up between the front guards. 

I already have blocked the rear edge of the doors to the rear doors before they were painted so they should turn out good.

I've also had to do a fair bit of work on the Front Drivers Quarter panel. It's a Taiwanese copy and was pretty rough. No where near aligned to the door and the cowl panel.

I cut and relocated the mounting holes to bring the guard down about 8mm

I've also had to add metal on the top corner as you can see in pics, and remove some metal further down to widen up the gap in one spot. I've now got about a 4.5mm gap evenly down the whole panel.

I've got some family issues happening at the moment so work will likely slow down for a month or so, but I hope to get the rest of the car painted over summer. 

Attached Files

#128 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 January 2023 - 08:30 PM

Excellent stuff. :D

#129 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 09:23 PM

update time.

Got a few days off work so I'm getting stuck in.

I got a Fuel tank from CAE which is a standard HZ tank with a drop in EFI module. I've mocked it up in the car and extended the tank straps with some spacers moving the tank down 35mm at the front and 5mm at the rear, to get clearance for the pump fittings.

I've emailed all these pictures to my engineer to see what he thinks before I fully weld the straps and paint everything. All though the raw silver on the tank is growing on me... I was originally going to paint it gloss black but now I'm not so sure....

I've also marked out the body lines on the front half of the car and blocked the transition between the doors and front guards. The doors and panels are now back off the car for a final sand and I'm going to try to get some colour on them if I get time.  

Attached Files

#130 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 15 March 2023 - 10:44 PM

Yep I’m all for the raw tank.
Veeeery nice effort on the rest of the car too mate 👍

#131 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 05:24 AM

Is it a VE MRA they used? Looks about the right height for one.

#132 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 09:05 AM

I think so? not 100% sure...

I was hoping to paint the inside and outside of the front doors over the last few days but when I was sanding on the inside of the driver's side door (the gold one) I ripped straight through the paint and found some ugly rust :(

both doors had light surface rust along the bottoms so I bare metalled them to treat the metal and get it nice and clean.

The rest of the door jambs I've just sanded back the original paint enough to get a nice smooth finish.

As you can see I cut out the bottom corner, cleaned out the 40years of dirt and treated inside the cavity with rust convertor. I forgot to take a pic with the POR15 painted in there..sorry. I made a new section with 3 pieces of fresh steel, added minimal filler and high fill primer.

I'm pretty happy with the rust repairs... but it has set me back 2 whole days...

I'm back on track now and should get some colour on in the next few days

Attached Files

#133 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2023 - 03:29 PM

Keep on keeping on man, it's amazing how quickly you lose a couple of days though!

#134 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 04:42 PM

Got the Front doors painted on the inside a few weeks ago but it wasn't really update worthy...

Then on Anzac day I seized the opportunity for one of the last warm days to paint, and I got the outers of the doors painted.

I've got the Drivers door on, still working on the Passenger side.

Over winter I'm setting myself a goal to get the car drivable. Then in Spring I'll finish painting the front clip and getting near the finish line!

Attached Files

#135 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2023 - 03:33 PM

Very good news mate. Keep it up.

#136 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:55 PM

Looking good!

#137 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 04:20 PM

Got the Passenger side bolted on but I'm not happy with the alignment yet, I need to file out the holes in the upper door hinge on the rear door to get the doors lined up nicely at the top. I don't have enough adjustment available for some reason.

I've also got to move the rear door forward on the drivers side as the gaps are 4mm at the rear and 6mm in the B pillar gap, everywhere else on the car is 5mm (including when I trial fitted the front guards) so once I make that small adjustment everything will be lovely.

I'm going to turn my attention to wiring and fuel lines so I can get the thing running again in the next few weeks

Attached Files

#138 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 11 May 2023 - 06:22 PM

Going to be one of the tidiest HZ I've ever seen the way you are going. Colour is stunning.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

#139 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 11 May 2023 - 08:53 PM

Superb!

#140 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 01:37 PM

had some sunshine in Melbourne over the weekend and I got a chance to push the car out in the sun and take a few snaps, enjoy: 

Attached Files

#141 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:10 PM

My kinda car. Love the injected 5.0L's in old cars. Kind of makes me wish my HQ was that way instead of the cranky 383 Chev, Muncie set up lol..

Edited by Redslur, 23 May 2023 - 12:10 PM.

#142 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:30 PM

That's easy fixed. Buy a Holley Sniper for it! Agree though the Holden EFI V8 in middle era Holdens (HK-WB or even VB-VL) is a piece of cake. Hardest thing is the fuel setup to do it right, but you have to do that anyway for a Sniper or any other EFI setup.

#143 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:33 AM

:tongue4: what a tease  :clap:

#144 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:19 PM

That's easy fixed. Buy a Holley Sniper for it! Agree though the Holden EFI V8 in middle era Holdens (HK-WB or even VB-VL) is a piece of cake. Hardest thing is the fuel setup to do it right, but you have to do that anyway for a Sniper or any other EFI setup.

Yeah I considered the Sniper but wanted to stay with the GTS 350 replica them, therefore carby. Also considered the TKO box when mine shat itself but ended up buying an M23 new generation Muncie from the States to stay with the theme. Mine is a real old skool hairy chest man's car. And goes like stink too :-)

#145 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:39 PM

I've done the same with my HK V8 GTS. 377 stroker, alloy fuellies etc. I used a Sniper Quadrajet as I wanted it to look, sound and drive like a big cube SBC with a well-tuned Quadrajet. If I really want to an original GTS327/350 air cleaner would fit it. The only clues to it being a Sniper will be the 3/8" fuel line, extra harness sneaking from the back of the "carby" and if you pull the rubber mat up in the boot you'll find the MRA in the top of the tank.

#146 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 01:53 PM

Hi guys,

I've finally got some updates to share, not a lot that are worthy of pictures though...

the big news is, it drives! 

I've been spending a lot of time on all the fiddly little bits, fuel lines, bleeding brakes, wiring, etc. all these little bits added up to getting the car to a point where I can now drive it in and out of the driveway which will be a massive help to be able to move it around more easily.

I've got a couple of pics that are interesting enough to share.

I've relocated the Map sensor and Ignitor module into the plenum area by extending their wiring into the car then up through where the old re-circulation / fresh air vent was under the dash.

The grill that normally goes atop the plenum is going to be filled in so all this will be 100% hidden.

I've finished the wiring loom from the engine to ECU and routed it along the bottom of the firewall as you'll see.

I relocated the Battery to the boot

I also finished making some mounting brackets and infill panels on the sides for the Twin Thermo's (BA-BF Falcon) which I'm not sure I'm completely happy with but they are neat enough for now...

I still need to wire them up. I'm going to try to trigger them from the ECU if I can find a pin-out that's appropriate. Otherwise I might get an aftermarket controller. Still undecided how I'm going to set this part up... 

Attached Files

#147 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 20 November 2023 - 03:02 PM

Awesome! Looks excellent, and I have been wondering where to stick my MAP sensor so that's worth looking at... 

On the fans, i recommend the Daves Craig fan controller. It handles the amps and dual fans no worries, and allows easy set up and hidden wiring. If you shop around, you can get them for less than $70 too, I think I got mine on Amazon! I also trust it more than the ECU wiring, which earths to trigger the fan relay and wasn't as rock solid as I would have liked. The Davies Craig just worked, and took that stress away. That was my experience anyway.

#148 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 November 2023 - 03:37 PM

I can't remember if it was on the forum or not, but someone was saying the BF fans are speed adjustable according to temperature?

I love the black crinkle finish paint on the bananas. It actually makes that manifold look good.

#149 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 03:48 PM

Hi guys,

I've finally got some updates to share, not a lot that are worthy of pictures though...

the big news is, it drives! 

I've been spending a lot of time on all the fiddly little bits, fuel lines, bleeding brakes, wiring, etc. all these little bits added up to getting the car to a point where I can now drive it in and out of the driveway which will be a massive help to be able to move it around more easily.

I've got a couple of pics that are interesting enough to share.

I've relocated the Map sensor and Ignitor module into the plenum area by extending their wiring into the car then up through where the old re-circulation / fresh air vent was under the dash.

The grill that normally goes atop the plenum is going to be filled in so all this will be 100% hidden.

I've finished the wiring loom from the engine to ECU and routed it along the bottom of the firewall as you'll see.

I relocated the Battery to the boot

I also finished making some mounting brackets and infill panels on the sides for the Twin Thermo's (BA-BF Falcon) which I'm not sure I'm completely happy with but they are neat enough for now...

I still need to wire them up. I'm going to try to trigger them from the ECU if I can find a pin-out that's appropriate. Otherwise I might get an aftermarket controller. Still undecided how I'm going to set this part up... 

Is your car H933746 (3spd manual) or H933749 (Trimatic)? Both of these were built in the first few days of HZ volume production at Pagewood. Both are right in amongst the HZ Press Fleet vehicles.

#150 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 08:34 PM

746 - Manual - So are you saying this is about as early as you can get in a HZ without it being a HX? that's pretty cool...

Sam - I've had one of the Davies Craig controllers before, it was great and the more I look around I think it's the best option. I liked that I could control the trigger temps. The one I had before was on a Toyota V8 which they like to run a little hotter so it was good to be able to raise the trigger temp so the fans weren't running all the time. 

In the end I was able to tune it pretty much spot on so that on a hot summers day, in traffic the fans kicked in after sitting stopped for about 10-20 seconds. Then once I was moving again they turned off. The idea being you basically want the temp gauge to sit at 1 third and the fans running as rarely as possible to achieve that.

I think I've just talked myself into it :P 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users