Lambchop

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Name:Dwayne Alker
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:32 PM

Hey follow members I'm stripping my doors ready for blasting and I'm noticing my rubbers in bad shape, after googling there are kits available from kingswood country and rare spares so my question is which are the better kits.

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:39 PM

Rares Spares apparently  

#3 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:09 AM

The Resto (Kingswood) Country kits are from Rare Spares. Just got one for my HZ and it looks

good but proof will be in the fitting. Better auto rubber also do them and may be worth looking 

into.

#4 Lambchop

Lambchop

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Name:Dwayne Alker
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:22 AM

Thanks guys I'll check them out. I'm removing door chrome so have to check out that the kits can accommodate that.

#5 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:52 AM

Hi Dwayne.  I haven't done the Hatch yet but when I did the ute the biggest issue was getting some of the clips in the rubber to grab with the plastic inserts that go in the door.  Also, due to age I suspect, some of the door clips weren't that secure. I wasn't keen on gluing them in so worked it that my door was ok.  I try not to open the passenger door lol.  Cheers Ron 

#6 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:51 AM

My door rubbers are non existent and the new GMH bought ones that came with my car (XU1) (bought in the mid 80's) have now hardened up and door doesn't come near closing unfortunately, so now I'm driving around with no rubber on the passenger door and a terribly perished drivers side rubber. The funny thing is that the GMH door rubber fitted perfectly to the door, just can't close the door. So I'm a bit fearful of buying any door rubbers at the moment until I can get some assurance that the door will actually close. Is there any way of softening aged rubber door seals?

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:08 AM

I doubt you will be able to rejuvenate an OEM door rubber. I had a NOS OEM 2dr door seal sitting on my shelf (in it's bag). Hadn't looked at it for years. One day I picked it up and noticed that parts of it had turned to chewing gum.

Totally stuffed so in the bin it went.

I had Rares door seals that I put on my LJ in 1996. The driver's side door was hard to close, rubber magic did ease the situation slightly but was still hard to close.

The passenger side door wasn't really an issue but definitely not like it would have been when it left the factory.

Bought and installed one of the new improved Rares door seals for the drivers door and what a difference. Now I don't have to slam it so hard that it feels like the door is going to fly out the other side.

Not as good as factory but possibly the best I'm going to get with what is currently on the market.

#8 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:32 AM

My OEM door rubbers were also in the bag but they just coated themselves in a white powder type coating. The rubbers on my doors were just brittle like blackboard chalk. So Rares are the go for 2 door rubbers (this year). I assume you can buy them separately for doors only?

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:46 AM

You can buy them separately. I still haven't gotten around to installing the new improved passenger door seal yet.

Attached File  LJ 2dr left hand seal.jpg   73.1K   3 downloads

#10 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:32 PM

You want to be careful that you don't leave it too long. I think anything made of rubber hardens with age. I'm going to buy one and see what happens. This will be the third (3rd) ever purchase of repro stuff that I've made, with the last 2 purchases being an annoying waste of time and money (not even close to OEM) so I'm not too confident.

#11 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:39 PM

You want to be careful that you don't leave it too long. I think anything made of rubber hardens with age. I'm going to buy one and see what happens. This will be the third (3rd) ever purchase of repro stuff that I've made, with the last 2 purchases being an annoying waste of time and money (not even close to OEM) so I'm not too confident.

The improved Rares door seals that have been out for sometime now fit great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users