#1 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 04 April 2021 - 02:08 PM

Just heard from a mate that to engineer an LH/LX you now need to prove power is no more than 180 kW/tonne, which is about 200 rwkw / 277 rwhp.  That'd be most of the V8s on this forum right?

Has to be proven via a dyno test which cites the engine number and photos of the set up.  If you're making more than that limit I'm not sure what the options are.

#2 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Car:LH SLR5000

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

Yes dyno run with engineer present, photo's, graph and report listed in engineering report.

With out saying too much, things can be skewed a little in your favour(heaviest variant, hp numbers atw accepted)...sympathetic engineer and dyno operator ;)

Just had a car(HK) done with a LS, was easy with a near std motor....

#3 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:23 PM

Just means build car with rebuilt or detuned stock engine...then put in go fast bits later on.

#4 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:32 PM

Yeah that's a really silly test, it's so easy to de-tune most EFI systems... ever heard of "Valet mode"?

If using a Holley Dominator ECU you can have up to four tunes loaded and swap them on the go with a (key/hidden) switch!

#5 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:54 PM

Yeah that's a really silly test, it's so easy to de-tune most EFI systems... ever heard of "Valet mode"?

If using a Holley Dominator ECU you can have up to four tunes loaded and swap them on the go with a (key/hidden) switch!

That's why engineer and dyno operator are conducting the test...... you think the department and engineer doesn't know what your up too lol.

#6 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:42 PM

They can only test what you present to them for testing, I highly doubt the engineer or dyno operator are going to re-tune your EFI system for you!

#7 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:05 PM

They can only test what you present to them for testing, I highly doubt the engineer or dyno operator are going to re-tune your EFI system for you!

They aren't going to retune it, but part of emission testing is not being allowed to change the tune, and its pretty easy to tell a knobled tune for an experienced operator.

Anyway its not a big issue for an engine in the ball park, but its more difficult to make 700whp slide in.... comes down to package, displacement(swept vol test required most of the time) etc

WA is a special place...we don't adhere to ncop/vsb 14, AND the engineer doesn't say what's allowed, DOT has final veto.

#8 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:13 PM

Time to move to vic?

#9 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:17 PM

Time to move to vic?

Pass

#10 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:12 AM

comes down to package, displacement(swept vol test required most of the time)

What's the swept vol test mean?

#11 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:35 AM

Engine size...displacement.

#12 bat 53

bat 53

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Name:albert
  • Car:lc gtr

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:32 AM

i think we are the only state that adheres to vsb14 

180 kw per tonne and 4 or 5 times original weight of car depends on the weight

#13 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:33 AM

What's the swept vol test mean?

Engine capacity is measured by the swept volume of all the cylinders, in other words, the volume of air that the pistons displace in one sweep from Bottom Dead Centre (BDC) to Top Dead Centre (TDC).

So for a (stock) 308 V8, it has a 4 inch diameter bore, and a 3.06 inch stroke.

volume = π x r2 x h

So 3.14 x (2" x 2") x 3.06" = 38.4336 cubic inches per cylinder

38.4336 times 8 cylinders = 307.4688 cubic inches

A "swept volume test" simply measures the bore and stroke of an engine and does the math to determine the actual displacement, not what the owner tells them!

Edited by Bigfella237, 05 April 2021 - 09:34 AM.

#14 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:36 AM

Time to move to vic?

Time to move to South Australia!

#15 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:27 PM

A "swept volume test" simply measures the bore and stroke of an engine and does the math to determine the actual displacement, not what the owner tells them!

Ah right, but how do they do it accurately without pulling down the head?  Wire down the spark plug hole?

#16 bat 53

bat 53

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Name:albert
  • Car:lc gtr

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:23 PM

take rockers off cyl 1  measure through plug 

you have to be certified by DOT to do the dyno and svt

#17 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:25 AM

Just heard from a mate that to engineer an LH/LX you now need to prove power is no more than 180 kW/tonne, which is about 200 rwkw / 277 rwhp.  That'd be most of the V8s on this forum right?

Has to be proven via a dyno test which cites the engine number and photos of the set up.  If you're making more than that limit I'm not sure what the options are.

My Torana is engineered under this

It only applies to engine conversions not factory options as far as i am aware

The engineer is also present for 3 power runs in the row so no silly business. That was a bit of a hassle for me to organise when most engineers are in the city and no local dyno for rent etc

My car was also physically checked for displacement to make sure it was stock LS1 spec

Also a pretty comprehensive report with tonnes of pictures was made from it. Literally can't even change rims from what the engineer said to me. You would have to be in a pretty funky situation for them to ping you on rims though i would imagine

There is a few places that can organise it all for you. Briffa Engineering and Packard Automotive are the 2 popular ones currently

#18 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:43 AM

I find our whole car scene quite disjointed (I'm not whinging by the way, just an interested observer).

In some cases as mentioned here - the relevant 'authorities' are so fussy around regulations and power levels etc (which are fairly conservative by today's standards) - yet it seems every second muscle car on the road these days has twin turbos and makes 1,000HP or thereabouts. Those cars are still happily driving around (many with full rego / many on one of the car club type schemes), with active insurance and get sold and change owners with no problems? All whilst others are playing by the rule-books and struggling to get a much more legal/safe car through the system.

Just strange that's all!

#19 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:06 PM

The "drag week" "registered" cars are all not legally modified.... in any state.

There was a situation with drag week a couple of years back with 3 cars I know of being pinged(by the cops and department doing recalls for inspection) for illegal mods and having to hand plates in...those guys went out and bought another registered shell, waved a magic wand and had cars again ;)

Doesn't help when big names in the industry do video's and magazine articles with the "for a 1500hp+ and 7 sec slips, it drives nice on the road going to the shops"

Sets a shit example for people doing builds and wondering how far they can push things.... WA Dot are back doing recalls for inspection lately, they stopped for a while because of the death threats etc lol.

If you have a quick car "with plates" its a real good idea taking the plates off when you go to the drags and run a number.

Edited by Oversteer, 07 April 2021 - 07:11 PM.

#20 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:10 PM

I find our whole car scene quite disjointed (I'm not whinging by the way, just an interested observer).

In some cases as mentioned here - the relevant 'authorities' are so fussy around regulations and power levels etc (which are fairly conservative by today's standards) - yet it seems every second muscle car on the road these days has twin turbos and makes 1,000HP or thereabouts. Those cars are still happily driving around (many with full rego / many on one of the car club type schemes), with active insurance and get sold and change owners with no problems? All whilst others are playing by the rule-books and struggling to get a much more legal/safe car through the system.

Just strange that's all!

active insurance is not very active if the car shouldn't be on the road

exposure like drag week is only going to make it worse

#21 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:16 PM

The "drag week" "registered" cars are all not legally modified.... in any state.

There was a situation with drag week a couple of years back with 3 cars I know of being pinged(by the cops and department doing recalls for inspection) for illegal mods and having to hand plates in...those guys went out and bought another registered shell, waved a magic wand and had cars again ;)

Doesn't help when big names in the industry do video's and magazine articles with the "for a 1500hp+ and 7 sec slips, it drives nice on the road going to the shops"

Sets a shit example for people doing builds and wondering how far they can push things.... WA Dot are back doing recalls for inspection lately, they stopped for a while because of the death threats etc lol.

If you have a quick car "with plates" its a real good idea taking the plates off when you go to the drags and run a number.

Well said

#22 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:00 AM

And anyone these days can drop their LS Commodore in at Sam's in Sydney (pay 13 grand) and by the end of the week pick it up with 1000 plus at the engine and mostly legal (not obvious). Know of a couple of people who have had it done.

#23 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:07 PM

WA laws regarding this stuff is disgraceful. The idea is if they make it so hard for people to modify, they wont, will buy modern 5 star safety cars instead.
Why would you do the correct thing and teach people to drive properly, no just lull people in to a false sense of security by having them in a supposedly a safer car.
We wont worry about the impact modifying cars has on economy, creates businesses, jobs, industries and wow they all pay taxes too.
They should be working with people not againest them.

#24 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:52 AM

WA laws regarding this stuff is disgraceful. The idea is if they make it so hard for people to modify, they wont, will buy modern 5 star safety cars instead.
Why would you do the correct thing and teach people to drive properly, no just lull people in to a false sense of security by having them in a supposedly a safer car.
We wont worry about the impact modifying cars has on economy, creates businesses, jobs, industries and wow they all pay taxes too.
They should be working with people not againest them.

Unfortunately over here it has been ruined largely by the people claiming big power on a "street car"

#25 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:09 AM

Why does the government think thats a problem?

Are these “overpowered” vehicles over represented in crash data? Something else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users