LC STEERING ISSUE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Feigz_

_Feigz_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

Had the Pink slip check today and have been pinged for having too much movement in the steering column ie you can pull it towards you.

Any thoughts on what the problem is ie worn bearings etc?

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

The pins have broken on the collapsible shaft and the top bearing has jumped the small screw holding it in..Common thing.
R

#3 _Feigz_

_Feigz_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info Rorym,

Pulled it apart and found no screws where they were meant to be and the plastic collar that houses the top bearing is broken in half. Fortunately had a spare that I picked up off ebay some time ago. Have now replaced the collar and also have two screws securing the bearing into place and no more movement. :spoton:

Edited by Feigz, 03 September 2006 - 04:44 PM.

#4 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

Glad to be of help me matey! :clap: ..Old head...old shoulders...luck the memory still works!! :spoton:
R

#5 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

found this old thread here,

i am experiencing the same problem, is it dangerous to have this play? where is the bearing ?

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

When you take the steering wheel off you will see the bearing.The bearing is held in place by two screws which keep it in the blinker assembly that is supported by the two column tubes & a circlip to keep it in place.

#7 _Feigz_

_Feigz_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

Depends on how picky the person is doing your pink slip inspection.

If you can replace the screws it means one less thing to worry about. It the plastic collar the screws fit into is broken you'll need to track a replacement one down, and they aren't something I have seen a lot of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users