12 replies to this topic

#1 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

hi all

just was looking into stroker kits for 308 to 336

apart from the actual kit what parts also need to be strengthened/changed
e.g engine and driveline and their prices.

what stock components can i keep. :blink:

how much on average does this setup cost in total to install from others previous experiances

any advice appreciated

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:08 PM

all standard parts will work with a stroker set up, basically what you are changing is the crank, rod and piston assembly, if you have a manuall may want to have your ballancer, flywheel and prssureplate ballanced with the above but all else can remain stock or what have you.
depending on which setup you go and which block you have, the block may need machine work (and in extreeme cases the sump) too.

#3 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:20 PM

so transmission can handle the power

how much all up would you say it costs

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

stock running gear will handle modest power increases pending the driver.
best you ring a few places for costs as this can vary from under $1000 DIY to several thousand ready to bolt in or ready to go.
there are that many types and ways to stroke a motor i cannot begin to explain them but each have their merrits for their given application.

#5 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

so transmission can handle the power

A stroker will increase your power but the main thing is TORQUE. Torque is what will kill your tranny.

#6 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:27 PM

Ring Pro-Stroke and talk to them, Melbourne mob so you could even go down and check em out if you wanted. I've got a small stroker pro stroke kit in my 308.

#7 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:32 AM

Ring Pro-Stroke and talk to them, Melbourne mob so you could even go down and check em out if you wanted. I've got a small stroker pro stroke kit in my 308.

they are actually in Heathcote now, I can recommend them, they are great to deal with

#8 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:50 AM

Liam how mych did your kit set u back
and what extra power and torque did you get

#9 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

Can't help you in either regard I'm afraid. Motor was already like it when I bought it, and its the first 308 I've ever had so I've got nothing to compare it against. Goes very well tho :D Stops making power at 7000rpm

#10 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

thats all i want to go harder :rockon:

#11 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

My understanding of them is that they are the best of both worlds for the less serious racer or someone on a budget. Obviously you can go as crazy as you want with money, but they are relatively in-expensive to create, with less new/different parts needed, less machine work etc.

They are also mid-way between the 308 and 355 where they create more torque than the 308 but still spin up a bit higher than might be expected with the 355.

My engine is running a large solid cam, standard VN heads, harrop dual plane manifold and Holley 750Dp and is making 400HP

Cheers,

#12 _micksgtr_

_micksgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

as is said it all depends on brand, you can have a look through any street machine mag and see full kits, crank rods pistons and so on for 308-355 for $1300. but as if life you get what you paid for, i've recently bought a C.O.M.E kit for a 308-383, if i had bought it direct from C.O.M.E it would have cost $5900 for crank rods pistons bearings gaskets and all the work done to the block, ie oil galleries boring honing and so on. i was lucky and paid only half that. brand new but wasnt wanted anymore by the previous owner. have a hunt around, talk to people, ask yourself what you want from the engine........is it more power, more torque or is it just noise you want??? also will your heads be any good matched to the stroker........if they cant flow that well or have the wrong chamber size then spending thousands will be useless....hope this helps a bit
cheers

#13 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

thanks guys has helped sought some issues out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users