LongTermLXProject

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Name:Gerald (Chucky)
  • Car:LX

Posted 12 September 2021 - 05:42 PM

Anyone know where I can source calibrated springs for a V8 Bosch mechanical distributor (76 LX V8).

I'm doing some custom tuning, and I'm looking for a 'kit', or manufacturer who might be happy to make 'one offs' of the lighter spring.

The springs are quite generic, don't need to be Bosch/Holden (tension spring, OD around 4.5mm, internal hook length around 17mm, spring rates from 4.5 - 6.5N/mm for the light spring)

I did see Bell Springs in Vic and will give them a call, but ideas or experience welcome. 

Aiming to get about 24 degrees mech at 3000rpm with 8 degrees static giving a full advance of 32 degrees.

Thanks..........

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 12 September 2021 - 11:25 PM

Edited by rodomo, 12 September 2021 - 11:33 PM.

#3 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:41 AM

You could have a quick chat with Scorcher Ignition in Vic - I'd be surprised if they couldn't offer a solution.

#4 LongTermLXProject

LongTermLXProject

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Name:Gerald (Chucky)
  • Car:LX

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:58 PM

is that better?

rodomo,

Yes, No, maybe. Depends on the motor config. Cam, cam timing, compression, and stuff I probably don't know about. This motor (currently in bits) runs well at low revs with high static advance and moderate go pedal, but runs out of puff at the high end. if I adjust the static advance to small (2 deg BTDC) its a sluggish at low revs but happier at the top. I'm also running high operating temp plugs but they still coke up a bit (no, its not the rings or the head). Oh yes, and it gets a bit warm - all  symptoms of timing advance not right from what I've read.

I was running a 253 advance plate (allows about 30 degrees mech advance). Now swapping to a 308 plate, gives about 24 degrees mech max. I want to try with higher static advance, a medium advance rate, and limited full advance, hence the spring(s). 

When I assemble I'll also be checking the cam timing and harmonic balancer position wrt TDC to make sure I'm starting from a known base.

I'll have a chat to Scorcher Ignition like Brett suggested............

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:43 PM

I deleted my post because what I said related to 6cyl. I saw a LJ in your pic and made another (of many) foot in mouth assumption.

The springs are easy to find..................it's the max advance where the big work is needed. This involves welding up the slots and reprofiling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users