7 replies to this topic

#1 kavesh

kavesh

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Name:Kavesh Maharaj
  • Car:1971 Holden UTE (Chev El Camino - RSA)

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:08 PM

Hi all

I purchased a Monaro gauge cluster a few years back for my ute. I want to now install in the van however, when I tested the tach, the needle does not move at all. I think it must be broken.

I have confirmed that there is a signal at the HEI tach signal on the dizzy using a multimeter, not ideal but at least I know there is a signal there.

Has anyone any pointers to try and figure this out myself. I do not trust service providers so want to have a go at it.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:46 PM

Does it need a tach adaptor?

#3 VDO

VDO

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Name:Chris Curtis

Posted 11 December 2021 - 10:55 AM

Electronic ignition will typically put out a 5 volt tach pulse, compared to the 12 volt put out by standard ignition.  The circuit board in the factory tacho, while being a 3 wire setup, still won't see the 5 volt signal.  Need to upgrade the tacho circuit board for low signal input.  Should cost less than $200 to have done.

#4 kavesh

kavesh

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I decided to strip the face plate off the tach to test the many diodes and capacitors and found many had no reading on my multimeter which was set to ohms.

I am based in South Africa so won't be easy to find someone locally to repair / upgrade my tach. 

I am thinking of looking for an aftermarket tach that has the same screw holes on the face plate which may enable me to swap out the internals onto my face plate.

Anyone done something like this before successfully. Any advice in this regard would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

#5 VDO

VDO

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 05:17 PM

The screw hole positions on the dial are standard VDO fitment.

Most VDO tacho movements will have this same spacing.

With yours, you'll probably find that the moving coil movement itself is ok and working.

It's the circuit board that can often fail in these LC LJ tachos.  Or as in your case, the circuit board is not compatible with your application.

Either way, you'll need a replacement board to accept the low signal from your ignition.  Replacing the tacho won't fix the problem.  This is a modern problem when using these old tachos in a later setup such as you have.  Other VDO tachos you find will still not see the low (5V) tach pulse signal.

The type of tacho circuit board you need isn't usually available to the public, only to Instrument Techs, so you'll need to see a Tech... sorry.

#6 kavesh

kavesh

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 07:37 PM

Sorry to revive my old post.

I was chatting to someone locally who said that I should install a W terminal on my alternator. This would give out 6 volts for the tacho.

He was suggesting using a VDO tacho and we swap out the internals and use my original face.

Wondering whether this could work..

#7 VDO

VDO

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 09:59 AM

Sorry to revive my old post.

I was chatting to someone locally who said that I should install a W terminal on my alternator. This would give out 6 volts for the tacho.

He was suggesting using a VDO tacho and we swap out the internals and use my original face.

Wondering whether this could work..

The W terminal is usually the source of tach for diesel engines.  It's an AC output which needs to be converted to DC and to the correct pulse and voltage.  This still requires a specific circuit board.  It won't work directly with the tacho.

#8 kavesh

kavesh

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the reply VDO.

So what the guy (whose business is to repair instrumentations on more modern vehicles) said that we could adapt a VDO gauge that he had in mind. We would still use my original front, and mentioned that some calibration may be needed to get the gauge to read accurately. He just needed to see if he can get a 95mm gauge.

Btw, I am chasing another lead for Monaro cluster, hopefully with a working tacho. Hope to find out on the weekend if I can get it.

Then the big issue will be whether it will work normally with an HEI dizzy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users