Chev into LX

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

Ive ditched the 308 (if anyone needs a pair of reco Y/T heads ive got some cheap)
cause im looking into a 350 chev, so my Q is, Do i need anything speacial to fit it like move things or is it straight forward ? Oh it has a T/H 400 (new cross member)?
Thanks Baz

#2 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:06 PM

You will need to modify the plenum lip for distributor clearance, also new exhaust, radiator outlets swapped, wiring altered, new tailshaft to suit T400 and you will need chev specific starter, alt bracket etc. A fairly easy swap but the $$$ will add up.

#3 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:01 AM

My firewall is standard and hasnt been modified at all in regards clearance for the dizzy.

Just need to make sure you run a small cap dizzy and set up you engine-trans angle right to allow the correct clearance.

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:07 AM

^ any trouble getting to the top tranny bolts once installed?

#5 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:46 PM

Agree with struggler. You'll also need the right sump, and some engine mount adapters. And yep, new crossmember for the T400. You will find the biggest part of this conversion to be the extractors..

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:48 PM

There's another thread going at the moment talking about this conversion.. some good info in General Questions & Help, check it out:

http://www.gmh-toran...?showtopic=8748

#7 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the info and link im going to go for the chev cause of the cost factor
the chev has a set of block huggers on it (if they dont fit they will be on ebay soon),and eletronic dizzy (small cap)im sure it will fit with small mod.
Ive already got a modification plate for a V8 (it was a 6cyl) the mode plate doesnt say anything about size of V8,and hey this is Queensland where we can get away with anything hey!
Thanks
Baz

#8 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

My LX has a chev in it but my car has a manual. is the T400 already in it? if not you may need to widen the trans tunnel as there a tight fit. have you got a coversion kit if not CRS (Castlemaine Rod Shop) sell a crossmember for the trans and i think you can also get engine mounts not sure. But struggler is right the lip needs to be trimmed to give clearence for the dissy. If you need any other info just P.M me and ill try and help you out. P.S the crossmember from CRS comes with an engineers cert.

#9 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

You will need to modify the plenum lip for distributor clearance

My firewall is standard and hasnt been modified at all in regards clearance for the dizzy.

Just need to make sure you run a small cap dizzy and set up your engine-trans angle right to allow the correct clearance.

But struggler is right the lip needs to be trimmed to give clearence for the dissy.

Um hello am I speaking a foreign language that nobody understands here.
I wasnt making a suggestion or talking out my ass. :tease:

I was stating a plain and simple fact.

"The firewall in my car has not been touched or modified in any way at all in regards making clearance for the distributor." It had an ACCEL Twin point in it when I bought the car. I soon after replaced this with an Electronic Dizzy built in Melbourne for me. Both are off the shelf items, the electronic one was merely graphed to suit my engine.
I am running a 350 SBC in the Hatch with a Saginaw 4 Speed G/Box.

If you set it up right and use a small cap distributor you DO NOT have to touch the firewall! :fool:

I dont have a picture on hand to show but would be more than happy to take some to show. Misleading information causes confusion and deters people from going ahead with their ideas.

#10 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

What can I say ? I have performed this conversion at least 3 times and in each case have had to grind part of the lip away at best. If you can swap distributors without a modified plenum lip then all the power to you. Perhaps, as you did not perform the original conversion, the original work was so good you haven't even noticed it. Just a thought.

#11 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

I have put chevs into a few Torana's and it all depends on the angle of the engine/trans. If its too low at the back the firewall seem needs trimming, if its the right height your ok, but just.

#12 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

There isnt a lot of clearance there but it is sufficient.
So unless the other 308 Hatchback that I also have has had the identicle modifications done to it I stand by my first statement.
Mine hasnt been modified. :fool:

#13 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

Posted Image

#14 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:38 AM

what extractors are they?

0 user(s) are reading this topic