Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Name:Lyndall
  • Car:73 LJ Torana 4dr

Posted 19 September 2022 - 03:54 PM

Hi,

We have just finished refitting the Engine (Red 202) and auto transmission (Trimatic) to my daughter's '73 4 door LJ Torana.  The car has a factory floor shift (?) and we are having a lot of difficulty setting up the selection linkage.  It doesn't matter what we do, we can't seem to get the selector dialed in.   When we select PARK the wheels turn, REVERSE seems to work ok, NEUTRAL the wheels are turning, can select SECOND (we think) and LOW is an unknown quantity. 

My grandson who is helping me is a Hyundai Auto Technician, and he has tried everything to get them adjusted correctly.  Silly part is, it was working as it should prior to removing the trans, we did not touch the selector or adjustment when we had the trans out, now its refitted, the gear selector inside the car doesn't select the gears correctly.   The pic isn't the best quality, but I believe it shows the linkages OK.

Can anybody please offer a suggestion as to what the problem may be?

Attached Files

#2 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 19 September 2022 - 07:19 PM

Why did the box come out?

Have you tried disconnecting the linkage and selecting each position by moving the lever on the box?

If it selects ok then your problem is in the linkage adjustment.

I am assuming there hasn't been inadvertent damage to the selector or linkages during the R and R process.

Is the oil level correct?

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 19 September 2022 - 07:53 PM

The only thing I can think of is if the rod has been bent (or straightened) during the R&R, but even so, you should be able to dial-it-in with a simple adjustment.

Assuming you have all the correct levers fitted in the correct places, what I normally do is disconnect the rod from the transmission end, then physically move the lever on the trans to the park position (double check that the tailshaft is now locked by the parking pawl), then with the selector in "Park" (double check this!) simply adjust the length of the rod until the pin lines up... and you're (usually) done!

#4 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 19 September 2022 - 09:52 PM

+1 for what Andrew said 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users