Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:49 PM

Hi Guys,

Currently chasing down issues with my dash/ gauges.

No gauges other than speedo work, lights all work.
I removed the dash and found that the resistor was fried, replaced the resistor and it fried the new one straight away. Unplugged most sender units etc.

Replaced the resistor again and the voltage regulator this time. Only things giving power to gauges were oil sender (warning light type dash) and fuel sender.
Up in smoke again, also fried the temp gauge unit. Not sure how as it was disconnected and I had checked for shorts which there wasn't one.
check fuel sending circuit and getting no voltage or short there either. from memory it was displaying 81 ohms resistance to earth.

Any ideas?

I'm ready to just buy a new cluster but not sure if the issue is the cluster itself or something different. I want to run a sports type dash anyway.

Checking my wiring again the UC diagram in this section there are a few small differences in the harness plugs. Like my handbrake warning light wire (yellow) is running to pin J on the dash loom plug instead of pin E. Tacho wire(brown) while not run to the dash, it is present at the plug and looks to be in pin E instead of J.

As my job is Electrical work orientated, I find that it not matching the diagram is frustrating along with the fact the cluster issue has me stumped.

#2 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 12 October 2022 - 08:41 PM

Sounds vaguely like the voltage regulator was fried, and the new one you used may have been faulty as well.

For gauges to fry it generally means they are getting unregulated power supplied to them somehow.

They dont like a full12 volt supply.

I would check the wiring and connections around the regulator as a starting point.

Perhaps remove the regulated connection from the board and see what you are getting there before going any further.

Cheers

Rob

#3 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 09:53 PM

Voltage regulator output is 11.7 volts input is 12.6. I will try a 9 volt regulator tomorrow and see how much of a difference it makes although the temp gauge is definitely dead. the fuel gauge just goes slowly to reading as full when I know I'm nearly empty.

Checked all the inputs to the cluster plug, no shorts to earth. and the only voltage I'm getting is from the + supply pin.

At this stage I'm going to have to buy a new cluster regardless. Just worried it may be something other than the cluster although it doesn't look likely.

#4 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:36 AM

If it is the regulator on the dash then it needs to be about 5 volts.

That is where your problem likely lies.

Cheers

Rob

#5 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 13 October 2022 - 11:10 AM

Fit one of these. Adjust to 5.1v

https://www.jaycar.c...ulator/p/XC4514

#6 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 13 October 2022 - 12:05 PM

Hi Steve, it is entirely possible I mixed up some of the pinouts on that wiring diagram - I've got a spare cluster here, I'll check it tonight.

#7 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 06:21 AM

Thanks guys, I'm going to buy a new cluster. I want the sports dash cluster anyway. Hopefully the new one doesn't die when I connect it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users