DaveS

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatchback

Posted 09 January 2023 - 06:30 PM

Hey, I am the current owner of a 77 LX Hatchback which I have been restoring for the last few years. Unfortunately the car has no compliance plates, only the stamped chassis number inside the engine bay.

Has anyone had any luck with registering a car in NSW in the same position? If so how did you get started and what was the process?

Thanks in advance

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 06:57 PM

Blue slip. As long as it has a chassis number and engine number, and in theory passes all the applicable ADR’s it will pass. If the blue slip mechanic knew what they were doing they would look at the chassis number, do some Googling and find something close to know when it was complianced, but I doubt that will happen. If it looks like it needs Engineering though they are supposed to send you to a NSW Certified Engineer, and they are supposed to do do more research. For example if it has a 9” and non standard seats this may happen to you. A good Engineer will know for example that CLXxxxx is ADR27A and will make sure the car complies with that and others before signing off. However if you are lucky and the car is pretty much stock looking you might fly through with a blue slip. If you don’t have a compliance plate just say it’s a 2/76 body and then it’s easier to modify engine wise.

#3 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,070 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 January 2023 - 07:09 PM

What's the chassis number Dave?

#4 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 10:08 PM

As long as it has legible you just need to prove of ownership & receipts for engine...after that routine inspection.

Blueslip dude i been using won't bother with inspection untill proof of ownership of car & engine checks out first only then will he go over everything else....if car has been engineer certificate it has to be put back to 'as per engineers report'

#5 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 09 January 2023 - 10:17 PM

I have an idea that you need to prove it's been registered somewhere in Australia sometime previously. Any state, any time since new, just so long as it was registered here, and therefore complied with the ADRs at some stage.

It just to stop people importing cars from some uncivilised little tinpot country, like New Zealand, where the cars aren't up to Australian standards, and then running them through rego on a simple safety inspection.

:sofa:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users