Photo

Sh*tty roads, buckled rims and daily drivers….

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 20 February 2023 - 10:45 PM

Im sure I am not alone in not exactly enjoying the state of the roads. 

Too much rain and not enough maintenance? Whatever the reason, its pothole lotto in my daily travels. On returning from the Summernats and the many extra bonus pothole hits during the trip, my nice orange Clubsport had a new vibration.

Went to get a balance and alignment which revealed the wheels were buckled. The wheel repairer reckoned he could see at least 5 separate impacts on the worst one!

Thankfully they were able to be re rolled but its made me very pothole nervy. 

The Clubsport is too nice to beat to death on the roads so I decided a replacement daily driver was the go. I have been driving the CX7 I retrieved from my elderly parents but life is too short to drive such a sh*tbox.

Looking around at something softer like a Calais its clear there is still crazy money being asked, specially if you want a V8. So whats gonna be cheap in the current era?

As always, long wheelbase luxury local cars. I could have got a 160,000 Km WM caprice with the 6 litre on the road for about 18K. Having a bit more of a dig around I realised the last of the last, the series 2 WN have the LS3 instead of the soggy six litres in the WN series 1 and earlier WM.

Starting at the bottom I looked at the cheapest intact and registered one i could find and I now have a WN 2 120,000k with injected LPG for under 30K. 

Bargain!

Attached File  43F37C20-EC69-41D1-AE74-AE0F4337C7B8.jpeg   29.21K   8 downloads

Glides over my sh*tty local roads, quiet as a mouse inside and goes hard when you get into it!

I think I am officially old….

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 05:41 AM

Not old Rexy, just sensible thinking. I used to do the same thing in the 80's and 90's with Statesmans (and 5.0L Premiers), they were always cheap, nice to drive and when the rego ran out or you wanted a change they wrecked out better than most other HQ-WB. In the later 80's and early 90's a HJ-HZ Deville or 5.0L premier were $2000 or less. Back then front doors would pull $500 each.

#3 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,052 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2023 - 11:48 AM

By the time that Stato dies, the parts will be worth a fortune on that as well.  I spent a day trying to find a bootlid for a Series 2 VE SVZ, but ended up having to settle for the earlier one.

And the roads were shit well before the masses decided they wanted 35 series profile tyres on 20 inch rims.

#4 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:25 PM

Agree Laurie. My Ram had 20” rims and 60 series tyres on it. At least for the 10kM it took to get from the dealership to the tyre shop when they were changed out for 18” wheels and 70 series tyres. Even with the original 275/60/20 tyres the rims are at risk. 295/70/18 fixed that.

#5 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 21 February 2023 - 07:25 PM

Looks good, except that gas part…

#6 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 08:19 PM

Have you not had a LPG vehicle?

I love the stuff.

The old LX sedan ran a dedicated GRA twin carb setup. Drove it as my daily for many years. Won 95% of my traffic light battles and the fuel savings covered all my upgrades over the years.

The big block in the ute runs a similar setup.

Modern injected LPG is very good. I couldn’t tell any difference in performance with my old VY SS or with the new luxo barge.

#7 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 25 February 2023 - 10:03 AM

I had a GRA setup in one of my work vans with twin tanks. The only drawback was losing the spare wheel carrier. So I got a bullbar and mounted the spare on that.

#8 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:01 PM

Im sure I am not alone in not exactly enjoying the state of the roads. 

Too much rain and not enough maintenance? Whatever the reason, its pothole lotto in my daily travels. On returning from the Summernats and the many extra bonus pothole hits during the trip, my nice orange Clubsport had a new vibration.

Went to get a balance and alignment which revealed the wheels were buckled. The wheel repairer reckoned he could see at least 5 separate impacts on the worst one!

Thankfully they were able to be re rolled but its made me very pothole nervy. 

The Clubsport is too nice to beat to death on the roads so I decided a replacement daily driver was the go. I have been driving the CX7 I retrieved from my elderly parents but life is too short to drive such a sh*tbox.

Looking around at something softer like a Calais its clear there is still crazy money being asked, specially if you want a V8. So whats gonna be cheap in the current era?

As always, long wheelbase luxury local cars. I could have got a 160,000 Km WM caprice with the 6 litre on the road for about 18K. Having a bit more of a dig around I realised the last of the last, the series 2 WN have the LS3 instead of the soggy six litres in the WN series 1 and earlier WM.

Starting at the bottom I looked at the cheapest intact and registered one i could find and I now have a WN 2 120,000k with injected LPG for under 30K. 

Bargain!

attachicon.gif 43F37C20-EC69-41D1-AE74-AE0F4337C7B8.jpeg

Glides over my sh*tty local roads, quiet as a mouse inside and goes hard when you get into it!

I think I am officially old….

At 73.5 I'm definitely "officially old"  :cry:

Country roads are RS and it is gunna take forever to fix them

I'm not keen on being out there in the SS with 13 inch tyres so I pick my roads carefully and always ask around about the condition of them when I want to travel on a road I haven't been on for a while

The Rose Hill road from Gunagai rd to the Harden Jugiong road is like a "minefield of pot holes, can't go on the other side of the road to miss them as they are there on that side too

I now drive out to Coolac on the Gundagai rd to go Jugiong if need be like I did for our club's 43rd birthday run 

RegardSS .................. Barry 

#9 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 09:47 PM

So given how cheap it was and how little resistance the seller put up to extra discounting I knew it would have some problems 😊

Boy was I right.

There was some low hanging fruit.

Re fitting the front bumper which was barely attached was easy as was cleaning the grot off the interior.

Dealing with the deathly smell inside the car was a little harder… There were mixed elements to the aroma and at first I thought it was the brand new Chinese cheapie spare tire in the boot. There was some improvement after I left it out for a couple of days. Not much though.

Cleaned all the leaves and possum poo out of the windscreen base and engine bay and was left with the faint aroma of LPG. 

The source proved hard to find.

I had my usual LPG guy look at the car to check the mixtures as it was running rough and had the check engine light on. It would disappear when you ran it on petrol for a couple of trips. The mixtures were spot on and it appeared the engine light was due to low fuel pressure on the petrol side when switched to LPG. He couldn’t determine the LPG leak site. A bit frustrating!

In the meantime I had noticed that the top radiator hose was collapsing when cold. The overflow tank dipstick said it was full so suspecting the recovery system was clogged I cleaned out the lines and put a new radiator cap on. This turned out not to be the solution….

Eventually I had a proper look over the gas system and there was some brown wax around one of the vapour hoses to the fuel rail so I tightened the clamp and at last the smell was gone! Tightened all the others for good measure. 

By now I thought I was getting forward progress and we know what happens then dont we - a suprise new problem! So it tried to overheat one day and there was much missing coolant on inspection. I couldn’t see any external leaks and was starting to get a very bad feeling.

Added some stop leak and hoped for the best. Sadly every time I drove it it would seem to lose coolant and not refill itself from the recovery system. Thinking I must have an air leak I want over the water connections to the LPG converter and they were leaking a little. Poor assembly seemed the issue.

Still air continued to appear in the coolant.

I was starting to think the converter might be the problem as its the only connection to the cooling system I haven’t checked and maybe that’s part of the rough running problem? Coolant leaking out and into the vapour side of the system? It really drove like an old carby car with dirty fuel when on LPG.

Bit the bullet and jacked up the car, pulled the drivers front wheel and inner guard off and inspected the converter. Well bugger me, the hose clamp to one of the water lines was completely loose and looked like it had never been tightened. So I tightened the inlet and outlet hoses, convinced I had found the last possible problem.

Nope. Still losing coolant.

Convinced I had a stitch up with a leaking head gasket by now. Bought a radiator fill funnel and watched bubbles steadily appear in the coolant without end.

Frock Frock Frock

Rang my LPG guy to see if he could do some head gaskets for me. We both agreed this was an unlucky problem given the MLS gaskets in the LS3 engines and he suggested running it on petrol only for a while to eliminate the very rare event of LPG leaking from the converter into the coolant.

He was right!

After a week on petrol there was no more air appearing in the coolant and a retest with the fill funnel showed no bubbles. Turned it over to gas and within a minute bubbles were appearing.

Converter replaced and good to go.

Nope.

Still drove like a dog and getting worse. Really starting to get annoyed by now. Had a look inside the LPG fuel rails and they looked clean, no coolant. LPG present in the supply line from the tank when disconnected. Now beyond my simple checks. So dropped it back to my LPG guy. I had never mentioned the increasingly rough performance on LPG as I had assumed the missing coolant/air in the radiator and poor running were linked.

Connected the BRC diagnostic tool and all reads normal…. So he grabs the multimeter and starts searching. Finds a minor voltage drop and on further inspection…

Attached File  IMG_0761.jpeg   221.9K   6 downloads

Its the old rotten fuse.

Very unexpected given the LPG system was compliance in 2021 according to the engine bay plate.

30 cent fuse replaced and its a car transformed. No longer relying on rust to pass the electrons means it can run the converter and injectors at the same time no worries!

What a freaking saga.

Mind you its cost less than $1000 to fix its woes so alls well that ends well.

Except that the engine light still comes on when you run it on LPG.

This is the code

Attached File  IMG_0759.jpeg   68.33K   4 downloads

Given the rubbish quality of the rest of the LPG system install I can only surmise that something is screwed up with the install wiring. 

The only other issue I have spent money on was wheels. The former owner obviously let his guide dog do the parking and all four wheels were very knocked about.

Found a good set of factory wheels with near new Bridgestones on them for less than a gorilla.

After fitting to the car I discovered they didnt have the tyre pressure sensors - either absent or broken.

I enquired at Holden and was told it was $196 per sensor and $200 for “programming” A thousand dollars all up. Thank goodness you tube told me there were alternatives. So I bought a set of sensors off eBay which came with the programming device.

Attached File  IMG_0758.jpeg   86.77K   4 downloads

My usual tyre place did 4 strip and fits for the sensors and everything is spot on for $154 

Now all that’s left is finding the strange tinny rattle from behind the back seat 😊

#10 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 28 June 2023 - 10:04 PM

That’s an exhausting bit of troubleshooting, but must feel fantastic to have solved it (who cares that it was such a cheap part - at least it’s fixed!). Well done.

#11 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 05:07 PM

Rattle update.

Who doesn't love trying to find the cause of a high pitched hard to localise intermittent rattle? 😂

After a bit of trying to work out where it was located - hard to do from the drivers seat - I enlisted a helper and best guess was in the region of the rear left passenger seatbelt. 

With some step by step disassembly it seemed the seatbelt itself was the cause. So I sourced a replacement and when I found the time got stuck into it.

Pulled the old belt out and drove the car around the block. All seemed rattle free so inserted the replacement and buttoned everything up. Headed off for a drive and all seemed good! My joy was short lived…. about 5 minutes in the rattle was back with a vengeance ☹️

I lasted a week before I just couldn’t take it anymore so today was the sunny day for round two.

Thank goodness modern cars are easy to pull apart. Had the belt out in record time and this time I went for a longer drive. A few minutes in the rattle was back.

Back to the driveway and I couldn’t find anything as a cause. Time to pull the parcel shelf and still nothing obvious.

Another drive showed the noise was gone. 

Started shaking the parcel shelf and there was the noise!

Attached File  IMG_0866.jpeg   41.28K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0867.jpeg   36.49K   3 downloads

A bloody broken clip.

So why did I fail to fix this first time round? 

Assumptions, bloody assumptions. I had seen the other part of that broken clip on the trim piece covering the seatbelt but assumed I had broken it during disassembly. DOH

Post assembly long drive was pleasingly rattle free 😃

As an aside, I couldn’t believe the things hidden under the parcel shelf.

Attached File  IMG_0869.jpeg   126.07K   4 downloads

Electronics everywhere. Not like the old Torana!

#12 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 27 July 2023 - 05:55 PM

Plate is blurred in the first pic, is it nsw rego for a Km check?

#13 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 11:12 PM

Kajagoogoo my friend

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 July 2023 - 09:18 AM

Well... that sounds like a bit of a nightmare to diagnose. Wow.

So was the converter actually at fault also?

The country roads of NSW late last year were absolutely shocking when I went on a week-long driving trip. Far worse than anything that I saw Victoria having to offer. I assume it's mostly due to the flooding, but I'm told much of the damage was pre-existing. Not sure if they've improved much in the last 6 months up that way. 

#15 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,052 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 July 2023 - 01:55 PM

What is with those speakers in the parcel shelf? Are they woofers "pointing" down into the boot?

#16 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 02:28 PM

The last woofer I had in the back of a Holden was my Doberman (RIP Louis)!

#17 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 03:09 PM

Stock factory Bose speakers. 

Do a good job with Slayer cranked up to 11.

#18 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 08:16 PM

Well... that sounds like a bit of a nightmare to diagnose. Wow.

So was the converter actually at fault also?

The country roads of NSW late last year were absolutely shocking when I went on a week-long driving trip. Far worse than anything that I saw Victoria having to offer. I assume it's mostly due to the flooding, but I'm told much of the damage was pre-existing. Not sure if they've improved much in the last 6 months up that way. 

Yes, the converter was leaking LPG into the cooling system. Oddly it never smelt like LPG. About 50-100ml of fluid top up was required most times I drove it for half an hour or so. I had never heard of this happening but fortunately my gas man mentioned it as a possibility when I thought I had a head gasket leak.

#19 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 09:01 PM

The mighty luxo barge continues to be excellent daily transport. 

The big cabin and monster stereo are epic.

Does however continue to display evidence that the LPG was done by a cheap ass non expert…I suspect the “auto electrician” i bought it off cobbled the kit together and did most of the install himself. Either that or the kit was made up entirely of warranty return or factory second parts.

The car goes well but would on occasion switch the LPG off under load. I also didnt seem to have the grunt I recall my LS3 clubsport having. Mentally checked this as the extra weight and that its a base spec 300kw deal in the Caprice.

A few months ago it had an episode where the tank safety valve discharged LPG vigorously. While the tank was close to full, the day was not warm.

Consulting with my usual expert he agreed this was a very unusual event and I got him to replace the tank multivalve.

As some of you will know, the modern injected LPG systems are very clever and switch over to petrol under high demand high rpm conditions. When this happens the green LPG light on the gauge in the cabin switches to red. 

I had never seen this happen with this car so I asked Pete to check it and it turns out the changeover rpm was set at 8000! Yet more evidence this was a non professional install.

Changeover set to 4000 rpm.

The car feel like its gained 100hp and goes much harder than it did before and no longer turns the LPG off unexpectedly.

Even with the repairs required I have saved a big bucket of cash with LPG averaging 87 cents a litre compared to petrol between $1.85-2.25.

I cant believe more people dont use it.

#20 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 09:17 PM

Attached File  IMG_4142.jpeg   1.04MB   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4144.jpeg   310.04K   3 downloads

Enough gas to freeze the centre lid on the donut tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users