Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:73 LJ S

Posted 16 April 2023 - 09:19 PM

Hi everyone, 

I am about to start putting my Kframe back together and have a question (or 2) for the suspension gurus. 

I’ve been collecting bits for my car for 30+ years. I’m the second owner and car has been off the road about 30 years!!! 

First question.  I have a heap of brand new suspension components, stored in the house, for the best part of 30 years.  Brand new GMH bushes, Brand new adjustable Koni’s front and rear and new Superpro bushes.  The GMH stuff looks and feels like new… should I use them?  My local Peddersdealer said bin the lot and start again.  My worry is locally made 30 year old bushes might still be better that brand new China crap ( or the Chinese crap that probably makes up the components in new stuff made locally). I have 4 of the big bushes. I won’t be using them in the  diff  as I have gone adjustable trailing arms.  

Second Question is to do with the steering rack.  The tie rods look and feel good and tight. My rack still has boots in one piece and has about the factory quantity of oil. The wear surfaces are smooth with no grooves or lips.  While I’m rebuilding ( well, servicing ) the rack, do I swap them out for New Rares ones I have or keep the originals? (Tie rods, not boots…I’ll swap the boots out regardless). 

Cost isnt really an issue, I don’t really want to be pulling the front end in and out again!!! 

Attached Files

#2 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 10:20 PM

For the bushes, I would get new Mackay ones- not that dear and still rubber like the originals. If your rack boots are still ok I would be re-using them - the repro ones aren't right on the small ends - the groove for the clamp (even the cable tie they come with now) isn't big enough and has to be manually cut, APITA!

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 16 April 2023 - 11:47 PM

Keep your original tie rods. I haven't used the repro tie rods but they look like rubbish to me. Got me forked why they couldn't make the repro tie rods the same as the originals. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddd, if I remember correctly another forum member found the repro tie rods are longer than the OEM rods and required cutting some thread off to get toe in adjustment.

#4 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 18 April 2023 - 08:25 AM

Keep your original tie rods. I haven't used the repro tie rods but they look like rubbish to me. Got me forked why they couldn't make the repro tie rods the same as the originals. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddd, if I remember correctly another forum member found the repro tie rods are longer than the OEM rods and required cutting some thread off to get toe in adjustment.

I had my rack reconditioned and the tie rods look shitty (in their shape) also the new rubber boots look wrong, listed as a Mazda part from memory. Thanks for the heads up in maybe being too long.

Marty

#5 4dabush

4dabush

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 07:34 PM

I had my rack reconditioned and the tie rods look shitty (in their shape) also the new rubber boots look wrong, listed as a Mazda part from memory. Thanks for the heads up in maybe being too long.

Marty

Thanks S pack, JPXU1 and Marty, 
Based on the above, and seeing as a rack is pretty painless to pull out, I think I have been convinced to keep the old tie rods and boots.  My boots are probably softer than the new Rares ones!!!  

Anyone got any thoughts about using 30 year old new shocks?  

#6 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 18 April 2023 - 08:14 PM

New shocks for sure 

#7 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:42 PM

I will buy the gmh nos bushes if you want to sell them ? Just pm me, or send spack a pm & he will get on to me, usually very busy these days.

#8 4dabush

4dabush

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:46 PM

New shocks for sure 

Smooth Suspension are the Koni authorised repairers so I found out. Rang them, they said send them down, $110 ea for a full reco…so about half the cost of buying new!  I confirmed the Classic 80 series were repairable, they confirmed absolutely! 

#9 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 22 April 2023 - 07:16 AM

Have sent Konis to Smooth for refirb - good service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users