#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:52 AM

Hi all. I came across this LH for sale with listing stating that the aircon was dealer fitted. I'm curious about the compressor bracket and if there is any chance of sourcing one. Cheers Ron 

Attached Files

#2 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 21 April 2023 - 11:14 AM

What time-frame are we talking about here? I don't know how old that photo is but the compressor looks brand spanking new, whereas the rest of the engine bay has had some work. so I doubt that photo was taken 45+ years ago at the original date of sale.

It may be "dealer fitted" but not a GMP&A option, so it could really be from any one of a dozen or more companies. If you could find out what brand the kit was and, if that particular company still exists, you may be able to purchase the bracketry or maybe the compressor with the bracket as a spare part?

Aside from that, just make your own! So long as you get the pullies aligned and have a clear path for the belt (possibly using idlers & tensioners) the rest is just packaging and aesthetics. Those universal fitment compressors have mounting tabs on every side and corner so you have heaps of choices to bolt to.

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 11:36 AM

There were dealer fitted kits available from way back. Designed so dealers could fit an aircon and sell a car out of GMH or dealer stock, or off the schedule. They used Sanden compressors at that time too.

#4 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 11:49 AM

Here are a few kits:

Torana 253-308 Compressor mount - Autoware

HOLDEN V8 A/C COMPRESSOR BRACKET KIT 253 & 308 V8 – Auto Aer

Holden 253 & 308 V8 Compressor & Alternator bracket set suit HQ - HJ - HX - HZ - WB ONLY - Speedy Air Spares

Plenty of others around too.

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 April 2023 - 12:04 PM

That first one is the one I have waiting to go in

#6 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:00 PM

Thanks gents. I don't know what the time period is but the ad (current on marketplace) say the aircon was fitted by dealer on purchase, which I assumed related to the bracket as well but maybe the bracket is an aftermarket one like the Autoware one.  I have spoken with the actual maker of the Autoware bracket and he said you need to be running a VN/VS style :V" pulley. This didn't suit as I am running a serpentine system. To be honest I couldn't understand why it wouldn't work with serpentine but then I'm no expert. I may be wrong but pretty sure that Speedy Air one won't fit over the rail. Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#7 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 02:21 PM

There would have been a bracket in the dealer fit kit if that is what it is. If you look in Parts Catalogues you can see the kits normally. There was also aftermarket kits available which were essentially the same thing.

To run a serpentine belt you'll need idlers and tensioners, like the attached:

https://wheelswithin...ey-and-brackets

If you want to do it cheap and old school just change back to a multi row crank pulley and use two rows of it. From memory, on an original Holden setup the power steer used to be at the rear and the water pump/alternator in the middle with the A/C on the front pulley. A Commodore moved it all forward by one pulley row I think but then it all moved back again with the cast iron pulley setup on the EFI engines. Or something like that.

#8 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2023 - 04:44 PM

Ron I used an original VN-VT 5lt A/C bracket on my SLR and fitted a Sanden compressor with 6pk front pulley.  Bought four serpentine pullies from Summit racing listed for a SBC 350 (crank, alt, water pump, P/S) very easy to fit up. Used a VN V6 flat idler pulley to tension the belt. Never had to adjust the belts since the day I installed them, no noise or slip. V- belts on the other hand slip, squeal and need regular tensioning. There is a reason why car manufactures changed to serpentine belts in the 90s.

Attached File  IMG_20140719_093055_640_12751.JPG   274.04K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20140912_163804_386_12059.JPG   289.53K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20150119_150834_620 - Copy (2).jpg   214.94K   5 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users