tonytorana

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name:Tony Parker
  • Car:lx sedan

Posted 02 May 2023 - 09:27 PM

Hello everyone, looks like I'll soon be on a property of my own and closer to actually being able to breath new life into my LX sedan.

Today I'm asking if anyone has heard of a place that does primer dipping? I'm aware of a number of places that do paint and rust removal in large vats, however I haven't heard of or found anywhere short or a modern car manufacturer who can then dip the cleaned out shells in a primer.

I'd very much like to hear if anyone has any leads.

#2 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 03 May 2023 - 01:00 PM

This probably doesn't help a lot but a guy I worked with overseas was restoring a Porsche and got it dipped in Dinitrol

At the time (more than 10 years ago) it cost him £400 and seemed like a bargain to me but I couldn't find anyone here that did it

Great way to get rust protection into everywhere you can't see, maybe the local supplier knows someone. When I looked years ago it wasn't sold here

Good luck

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2023 - 01:52 PM

I've heard nasty stories about people (acid?) "dipping" car shells to strip them, and then not having another "dipping" process to re-seal them afterwards.

The only time I know of cars being dipped for protection is on the original production line. Following with interest, though.

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 02:21 PM

The process is detailed in the front if the GMH Features Manuals. Even shows a picture of which parts of a HQ-HZ got dipped. Ever tried to clean the body tag off a Dandenong bodied car (like an LH-LX)? The very hard to get off cr@p is the body dip.

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2023 - 03:12 PM

Now we're getting off-topic, but my whole UC had a rust protective coating on it that I do not recall LH and LX Toranas having.

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 03 May 2023 - 03:13 PM

Definitely a fantastic business opportunity here for someone brave enough to start one up. I've seen car-sized dips on some of the restoration type car shows on TV - but they're generally for the stripping type process only from memory - I don't ever recall seeing any addressing a protection component. Love the idea of it though!

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 May 2023 - 07:11 PM

Definitely a fantastic business opportunity here for someone brave enough to start one up. I've seen car-sized dips on some of the restoration type car shows on TV - but they're generally for the stripping type process only from memory - I don't ever recall seeing any addressing a protection component. Love the idea of it though!

I reckon the cost of maintaining a vat of primer big enough to completely dip a motor vehicle would be the main reason why new vehicle manufacturers are the only places you will see the process.

Edited by S pack, 03 May 2023 - 07:11 PM.

#8 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 03 May 2023 - 07:32 PM

Years ago I had an idea of getting a tank large enough to dip a car body in for the purposes of removing one or more of the following items: rust, paint, filler, sound deadener etc. I didn't have room for it then and I won't until I get my big shed. And that's after I buy some land. I now have an idea for an acceptable tank, which should be cheap enough on the second hand market. The height is more than adequate, it'll probably be over 2 metres wide. The only question is how long is it? Having said that, I think there are a couple of length options.

#9 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 03 May 2023 - 07:43 PM

I think the local one I saw on TV was featured on an episode of Rides Down Under - Workshop Wars. Believe the company is called K & R Paint and Rust Removal. Dandenong, Vic.

#10 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:08 PM

I wonder if you could use a shipping container cut in half with top edges where you cut reinforced with an angle for edges? Weld the doors up and get it lined. You could get a pool liner or spray liner but would probably need a sheet metal cap over the floor timber before lining.

#11 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:22 PM

Like Dave says, who can afford 10,000 litres of primer to fill the thing up? Maybe a galvanising setup would be feasible.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

#12 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 04 May 2023 - 07:33 PM

Just because most people use a special liquid doesn't mean that there aren't other options.

#13 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 06 May 2023 - 03:07 PM

Why don't you just simply use epoxy etch primer, it's basically the same sort of coating, strip all the old crap off & do that. It's a rust preventing chemical reaction. No need to reinvent the wheel & the epa restrictions would stop it happening. End of story. Get yourself a spray gun, respirator, enthusiasm and quality product.

#14 Liam S

Liam S

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Name:Liam Stephenson
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 06 May 2023 - 04:55 PM

Why don't you just simply use epoxy etch primer, it's basically the same sort of coating, strip all the old crap off & do that. It's a rust preventing chemical reaction. No need to reinvent the wheel & the epa restrictions would stop it happening. End of story. Get yourself a spray gun, respirator, enthusiasm and quality product.

I think the point is being able to paint in the places you physically don’t have access to. Hard to get inside channels and turrets and get good coverage with a spray gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 07 May 2023 - 03:16 PM

You probably have to rely on cavity wax, fertan ect in those sort of areas.

#16 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 07 May 2023 - 06:04 PM

It is pot luck preparing areas you can’t see for paint. That is where fisholene comes in. Just need to flush out as best you can. Soaks in to all the scale and crap you don’t quite manage to get rid of. A mate used sump oil. Epoxy etch what you can see. Oil what you can’t. Only use cavity wax on clean panel, preferably over epoxy etch. Inside re-skinned doors and tailgates is the only place I really use it. Best leave the fisholene until all the paint is complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users