#1 Adz1604

Adz1604

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Car:Lj

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:05 PM

Hi was wondering if any NSW members have recently been advised that they must take there vehicle for an inspection for roadworthiness and compliance. If so what does it entail. I have received an email through the week to take mine next weekend ( Mother’s Day weekend). we had booked accommodation away for the weekend but have been advised if it isn’t presented at the date and time the vehicle could have registration canceled and up to $2200 fine
Thanks
Adam

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:27 PM

Is it a legitimate email? I would have thought this sort of thing would be via mail not email?

If it is legit you may have been seen by whomever and your car reported as appearing to be unroadworthy. If so, I imagine the inspection process would be far stricter than a normal pink slip. They may target ADR compliance, including wheel width and tyre diameter, ride height, non-standard steering wheels or seats, removal of anti-pollution equipment, noise etc. as well as normal safety stuff like tyre legality, condition of steering and suspension, rust etc.

#3 Adz1604

Adz1604

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:49 PM

Thanks
Appears legitimate. I did email back regarding not being available on that day with no reply. I have since Rang the RMS were I was asked a series of questions regarding were the email originated and person sent by including spelling and was advised that it all above board.

The car was last driven late January this year and has less than 1500 kms in the last 18 months. Is a 2 door Lj gtr mock up in what I would call excellent condition having completed a full rebuild 3 years ago.

Edited by Adz1604, 05 May 2023 - 01:51 PM.

#4 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:52 PM

Have you figured out where it is they are sending you to, to make sure it is legitimate?

#5 Adz1604

Adz1604

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:03 PM

The address was all in the email and sounded very suspicious that is another reason I contacted them. Is a council car park in Oran park.
It is on club registration and the club has also advised that there is a random process being conducted at the time
I even told them I was concerned that someone was trying to set me up as the email also states to limit passengers. Also that If, I can’t attend that the vehicle could be taken by someone else.

Edited by Adz1604, 05 May 2023 - 02:05 PM.

#6 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:26 PM

This may be some of the fallout from sketchy "clubs" not be able, or willing to determine what is Historic, what is Classic, and what really only belongs  on a drag strip.  Not suggesting your club.

The RMS has been making noises now for a while about  getting serious with the amount of cars that are just clearly using Concessional rego as a rort. 

You or your club may have somehow got tangled up in all that?, or as you say, may just be a flag waving random thing. 

#7 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:37 PM

p.s. here's one they did up our way, regarding 4wd vehicles the other day.

Attached Files

#8 Adz1604

Adz1604

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 03:06 PM

Thanks.
When I contacted the RMS they advised that they had been conducting them around Windsor/Richmond way recently.
Car is on mod plates as the club advised that any modification and on H plates could bring heat on the club. Which they didn’t want. This included putting xu1 booster and master cyl, sprintmasters, 2 pac paint

#9 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 03:15 PM

You should be OK. If the mods & the Blue Slip are legit, then you should have no issues.

The dramas are when owners get bodgie Blue Slips on mod plated cars that should have full Engineering certification.

Dr Terry 

#10 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 03:43 PM

This appears to be a good thing if your car is all legit. Hopefully they start defecting Ranger, Hilux and similar 4x4 where they have lifted them more than 50mm and/or fitted tyres larger than 50mm increase in diameter without upgrading rotor diameter and Engineering them. Or putting on wheels that change the track by more than allowed. This sort of stuff needs to be done properly.

Do you know where that photo was taken Col?

#11 Adz1604

Adz1604

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 03:48 PM

I do expect that mine will pass inspection🤞. I was more after anyone that has gone through this process lately and could advise what the inspection entails. Is just like a blue/pink slip or more in-depth do they remove wheels check exhaust decibel readings. Or is it just a check of engine/chassis # and no visible defects. Obviously I don’t really want any unknown taking It for a spin around the block.

#12 v6 torana

v6 torana

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Name:Peter

Posted 05 May 2023 - 04:51 PM

Transport NSW Vehicle Inspectors along with NSW Police, have been conducting random inspections of HVS / CVS vehicles at Car Shows / Coffee meets around SYDNEY. There has been a focus on CVS vehicles that don't have an Engineers Certificate for modifications outside of those allowed in VSI.06 (such as engine, driveline, wheels, suspension and seating). If you haven't driven your car since January, there is a good chance another CVS car in the club you belong too, has been nailed, the knock on effect is that every car on your club CVS plate may receive a TNSW letter to present their vehicle for inspection (this has happened).

Post a picture of your Torana.

#13 Adz1604

Adz1604

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 05:17 PM

The club reached out to all members regarding the rules around historic and cvs plates and have offered assistance if unsure of the rules.
I have heard of people called in from powercruise, Summernats but that’s not my scene for my car. It will get used to go on a picnic or lunch with the missus a few times a year, although mod plates were advised by the club because of anything non standard to the original car

Attached Files

Edited by Adz1604, 05 May 2023 - 05:20 PM.

#14 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 05 May 2023 - 05:24 PM

They will likely do a sound check while they are at it.

Cheers

Rob

#15 Adz1604

Adz1604

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 05:50 PM

I did think that Rob, but I can’t remember this being done with a blue slip.

#16 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 05:57 PM

I do expect that mine will pass inspection. I was more after anyone that has gone through this process lately and could advise what the inspection entails. Is just like a blue/pink slip or more in-depth do they remove wheels check exhaust decibel readings. Or is it just a check of engine/chassis # and no visible defects. Obviously I don’t really want any unknown taking It for a spin around the block.

More like blueslip inspection & defect check on modified cars mainly for mods that require engineer certificate or not on current engineers certificate.

They did major crackdown last Anzac Day sending out emails & letters for cars they noted down on social media & car shows...guessing they're now going after car clubs.

If get defected for minor crap just cop it sweet get it cleared at blueslip inspection...have to return one of my cars back to 'as per engineers report' in order to re-register it.

#17 Adz1604

Adz1604

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 06:09 PM

Thanks.
That is what I was expecting.
About 15 years ago I had a phone call from a rta inspector wanting to check a Monaro I owned and I wouldn’t let him he told me I had 30 days to or he will cancel rego. He was less then 5 mins checking numbers and was gone. All was good he just wanted to check it wasn’t a rebirth
Was hoping this was going to be the same but I didn’t think so

Edited by Adz1604, 05 May 2023 - 06:11 PM.

#18 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 06:29 PM

Before last major crackdown they were going after inspection stations giving them warnings then handing out suspensions if more than one of cars passed got defected (usually at rbt stations).

Bloke I usually took my cars to was suspended & others did not want to touch anything modified even if engineered..had to go to super strict blueslip bloke only one who would look at modified cars....one passed easily other had too many mods not on report to pass it even though didn't affect roadworthy etc

Edited by gtrboyy, 05 May 2023 - 06:32 PM.

#19 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 07:14 PM

Do you know where that photo was taken Col?.

Apparently there was an off road comp. event at Millbrodale. ( the sheds must have been just there somewhere, local Bushfire place maybe?).  They were looking for jacked up, big tyres outside guards etc etc 4wd vehicles that the spectators drove up in.

I think something like 45 wer eselected & checked, 35 were written up, with a few grounded there and then.

There were pics on FB, some pretty obviously dumb stuff that had  " hey, check me" written all over them.

#20 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2023 - 08:20 AM

My son was pulled over by a HWP around Windsor. The local Sargent hated 4x4s and defected the car for wheels, tyres, lift kit and LS conversion. My son showed the copper his engineering certificate that was only three months old and was all legit that was in the glove box.

The copper wouldn't listen and made him tow it home. He had to present the Nissan Patrol at the RMS inspection station at Penrith two week later. Again at his expense had to get it towed as the defect was marked as dangerous not to be driven. RMS inspectors went over the car for over an hour and said it all complied and the engineers report was compliant and consistent. They noted that the vehicle should not have been defected and lifted the defect notice. Side note, the only thing they found was one parking light not working.

My son rang and sent the signed and cleared defect notice as requested to the Sargent. He said it was all bullshit and he was going after the engineer next. The engineers was then visited by police and RMS staff and found no problems with the engineer or his work on other vehicles they inspected. It cost my son over $1,500.00 just because this idiot copper who didn't know the rules. The NSW police do not recognize covering out of pocket expenses. The Sargent who inspected my sons car said to him in the end he was going to keep an eye on his car in future. The engineer was going to take the NSW police to court, still haven't heard how thing are going yet. At all times my son was compliant and spoke friendly to all the authorities. I am an authorized RMS inspector for the past forty years, and when through all the mods before getting engineered so my son was aware of the rules due to our discussions. He tried to politely inform the Sargent during the initial defect process but he said no my son had no idea of motor vehicle compliance. My son is also in the motor trade. (panel beater).

#21 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:07 AM

This particular policemen is well known for this rubbish. I don't know how he is allowed to get away with it.

Dr Terry

#22 v6 torana

v6 torana

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Name:Peter

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:14 AM

This particular policemen is well known for this rubbish. I don't know how he is allowed to get away with it.

Dr Terry

This matter has been raised / discussed at Council of Motor Club (CMC) meetings and I understand this policeman has been transferred to another area.

Edited by v6 torana, 06 May 2023 - 09:16 AM.

#23 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 10:01 AM

Hopefully to Victoria!

#24 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 06 May 2023 - 11:13 AM

From time to time, LACs will target modified vehicles.

Sometimes it is in conjunction with another operation such as RBT.

Other times it will just be patrols looking for potentially illegally modified vehicles.

If selected at say an RBT, you will be advised to follow a Police vehicle to an area where a thorough inspection will be carried out.

They were quite frequent around the Campbelltown area, and the inspections carried out at St Andrews from memory.

EPA were there waiting with noise testing equipment.

My brother had an exhaust shop in the area and he quite often got an influx of customers needing to reduce their sound levels.

There are also some Karens who will ring the EPA and complain about vehicles with excessive sound.

They get the letter to front up for an appointment, with a fee for inspection required as well.

At least with the targeted inspection, those doing the inspection are generally a lot more conversant with the rules and regulations than a cop.

Often a cop will use the reasoning that he is not fully conversant with the rules, so he will default to having someone more expert do the inspection, fully knowing the inconvenience it will cause.

If your paperwork is in order, and all modifications are to the rules, and engineering paperwork provided if applicable, you should have no dramas apart from the inconvenience.

Cheers

Rob

#25 Adz1604

Adz1604

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 12:33 PM

I understand all comments above and if the car is unroadworthy the inspection is a good thing. My last roadworthy inspection was 11 months ago. I have just received my renewal this week
30+ years ago If you were doing the wrong thing. Pulled over told to pull your head in maybe given a sticker and given 7 days to rectify.
If a complaint has been made. I believe normally you would receive a letter stating this and first warning next time have it checked and cleared
The process now seems as though they pick your car, who knows how and the email stated the will not tell you. You show on the date and time that you are requested, no if or buts or registration canceled and possible fine issued. There is no ,these are the dates and time you get to pick the best for you.
There is no stating of checks to be completed or time it will take.
These cars are 50 years old I am hoping they don’t expect it to be a new Toyota Corolla
Thanks to all that have helped

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users