13 replies to this topic

#1 Mowie

Mowie

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 06:04 PM

My engineer immediately noticed I had used rare spares chrome plated Door Striker Bolts on my LX. He informed me the Chrome plating process used embrittles the bolts and are not fit for purpose.

Word of warning for anyone needing an engineer's cert not to waste money on them.

#2 TOERUNNER

TOERUNNER

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Name:RODNEY
  • Car:73 lj gtr 73 lj 2 dr S

Posted 13 September 2023 - 06:46 PM

Think i would find another engineer

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 13 September 2023 - 08:10 PM

Not sure I've ever heard of anyone engineering striker bolts

But I guess they need to be of a certain standard

Factory ones are probably only a grade 5 though

How does your engineer know they have not been properly de-embrittled buy cooking them off in an oven ?

#4 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 14 September 2023 - 08:23 AM

Hi Mowie. Out of curiosity who is your engineer? I think there would be a few aftermarket parts sellers keen to have a chat with him. Cheers Ron

#5 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 September 2023 - 10:38 AM

It sounds like this engineer lays awake at night trying to work out how to make everybody else's lives become a complete misery. He would have done well in the speed camera operator profession as well.

#6 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 15 September 2023 - 09:17 PM

What a load of rubbish.

Sounds like someone likes the sound of his own voice.

#7 Mowie

Mowie

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 10:07 AM

I won't name and shame the engineer, but he has been pretty reasonable with most things.

Its a real thing, but yes I would have assumed if suppliers are providing a product they would do the engineering/processing to meet fit/form/function. I'll reach out to Rares and see if they have a response to my Engineer.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

#8 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 17 September 2023 - 11:48 AM

Your engineer is correct. 

#9 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 07:21 PM

I agree with Statler. A door striker is an integral safety part playing an important item in a collision.

Chrome plated bolts are fine for many parts of the car. Anything structural & safety related is different.

Dr Terry

#10 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 September 2023 - 08:44 AM

Rare Spares should be pulling them off the shelves then.

#11 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 08:34 AM

A lot of stuff sold by aftermarket suppliers will not pass any ADRs or engineering in general. Many absolve liability by saying things like "Suitable For Off-Road Use Only" or something similar.

In most cases, the seller & the buyer don't know the laws & it comes down to who is inspecting it.

Dr Terry 

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 10:55 AM

I'm an Engineer (Electrical variety) and I can tell you that lot of electrical stuff gets sold and installed that is not compliant, and the seller plus the installer have no idea. Cars will be no different. The manufacturer often knows, as Dr Terry says they often have "off road use only" on them. An example, a few weeks ago I was at a site where they were installing 4sqmm V90 orange circular cable in conduit fixed to a wall to feed 32A 3phase outlets. I told them maximum 25A on the breakers as the cable is only rated for 30A installed that way. Installing elecos had no idea, they didn't even have access to a copy of the Australian Standard for it (AS/NZS3008.1.1: 2017).

There are certain parts of a car that are designed and tested for strength and durability and cannot be messed with, and if they are an Engineer has to assess it. Stuff like door locks/latches, seat belt and seat mounts, steering columns, load on wheel and axle bearings etc. Then there is stuff about certain cars that Engineers may not even know like 350 powered HT-HQ's have larger uni joints, HT-HG GTS350 have thicker steel on the floor between the rear axles. Laurie bought up extra spot welds recently in the rear wheel arches of L34 and is going to check A9X sedan as well to see if these are stronger in that area as well, another possible cue for Engineers to require extra strength in that area if you are going to fit flares.

Edited by yel327, 19 September 2023 - 10:56 AM.

#13 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 19 September 2023 - 12:31 PM

I'm an Engineer (Electrical variety) and I can tell you that lot of electrical stuff gets sold and installed that is not compliant, and the seller plus the installer have no idea. Cars will be no different. The manufacturer often knows, as Dr Terry says they often have "off road use only" on them. An example, a few weeks ago I was at a site where they were installing 4sqmm V90 orange circular cable in conduit fixed to a wall to feed 32A 3phase outlets. I told them maximum 25A on the breakers as the cable is only rated for 30A installed that way. Installing elecos had no idea, they didn't even have access to a copy of the Australian Standard for it (AS/NZS3008.1.1: 2017).

There are certain parts of a car that are designed and tested for strength and durability and cannot be messed with, and if they are an Engineer has to assess it. Stuff like door locks/latches, seat belt and seat mounts, steering columns, load on wheel and axle bearings etc. Then there is stuff about certain cars that Engineers may not even know like 350 powered HT-HQ's have larger uni joints, HT-HG GTS350 have thicker steel on the floor between the rear axles. Laurie bought up extra spot welds recently in the rear wheel arches of L34 and is going to check A9X sedan as well to see if these are stronger in that area as well, another possible cue for Engineers to require extra strength in that area if you are going to fit flares.

Sadly our trade has gone downhill a long way since we went to more self regulation.

The old inspectors used to keep everyone on their game.

Cheers

Rob

#14 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 03:26 PM

Bloody oath Rob! There are some really good trades, some really good Engineers and a lot in between that are one of or a mix of: incompetent, cowboys, ignorant, uncaring, mislead, poorly trained or outright shonks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users