SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 22 November 2023 - 04:25 PM

With the car nearing completion (mostly), it was with some horror and self flagellation I realised I had never test fitted the rear mount K-mac sway bar I bought many moons ago from a Member on here. I only had around 10 years to do it, and then decided to after having fitted drop tank, fuel lines, etc. FFS. At least the exhaust isn't done yet.

At first I was relieved, it bolted on better than most things I have fitted to this car (top pic, just tech screwed it to the rails for now) but my fears were realised when I got to the front of the drop tank and saw the clearance to the fuel filter. Idiot. So, looking for the least disruptive option, because right now, the first big bump and I think the sway bar will take out the fuel filter bracket (hard to see in the pics) in spectacular fashion. Unless I am overreacting. The pics below are taken with the diff on stands, it will only get closer when the car is on the ground, closer again with full fuel tank and interior, etc.

• I could move the fuel filter, but that will impact exhaust plans and mean getting at least two new series 200 AN fuel lines made - not ideal and a bit exxy.
  • I could try moving the sway bar itself lower on the diff mounting bracket? Not sure that's as easy as it seems, even though there is the metal to do it, and it may actually make the problem worse as it will move the bar closer as the diff moves through the arc (I think).
  • I could bend the bar. Somehow.

Anyone got any bright ideas? Can't believe this has bitten me in the butt at this stage. Anyway...

Attached File  IMG_2624.jpeg   164.56K   5 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2627.jpeg   92.17K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2625.jpeg   156.69K   5 downloads

#2 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 22 November 2023 - 04:44 PM

Are you really committed to that rear-mount bar? That seems to take up a lot of real estate that could otherwise be used to keep the exhaust up tight to the chassis too.

I note that the diff still has the saddles for a regular front-mount sway bar. Maybe try one off a first gen Commodore and see how it lines up with the swingarms (it may be too wide for a Torana)?

If that rear-mount was my only option, I reckon I'd strongly consider going without a rear swaybar altogether. Unless you plan on driving it like Heath, you likely won't miss it.

#3 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 22 November 2023 - 04:52 PM

I have of course, put this in the wrong section... Suspension and steering would be the go...

Thanks BigFella - yeah, I want this thing to handle. I haven't attacked that side of it yet, as you can tell with the unpainted Konis and old springs, but I want it to drive nice and flat and the rear mount K-Mac is okay with an under the diff exhaust from what I have found. Yes, the Borgy saddles are still there, but as you guessed the std Torana-width diff won't play nice with Commodore stuff. I could just get rid of the K-Mac and get something custom made later I suppose, but, yeah. Really did want it on there from the get go. if there isn't a simple answer, I will take it back off for now.

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2023 - 05:16 PM

Bending it could be an option, a hydraulic press will do that easy enough.

20200428_121026.jpg

20200429_154455.jpg

#5 bat 53

bat 53

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Name:albert
  • Car:lc gtr

Posted 23 November 2023 - 10:00 AM

on the early holdens ( fx-hr ) i use the standard commodore bar 

but shape with the oxy to suit then have it reharden 

last one i did cost $120

#6 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 24 November 2023 - 03:42 PM

If you still have the Borgy saddles you could maybe just fit a Whiteline bar.

Attached File  Purple swaqybar_zpsogreh4al.jpg   82.54K   3 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users