Scooter09

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LJ 4 door S

Posted 25 November 2023 - 07:03 AM

Gidday All, I pulled out my windscreen to replace the rubber as it was real hard and splitting apart. I got the local windscreen guy to do the job as he's been around for years and he supplied a new rubber but when we re-installed the screen the top 2 corners don't seen to be sitting right, there's about a 10mm gap on both top corners and it looks crap!. You can push the seal out and it covers the corners but then shrinks back in again. we pulled the screen back out and just sat it there without the rubber and it seems to have equal gaps. Has anyone had this problem before and is there a fix for it?. The windscreen guy said we try and place a small bit of rubber packing into the corners to push it out?. Any help would great be appreciated. Cheers Scooter. 

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 25 November 2023 - 07:42 AM

Gidday All, I pulled out my windscreen to replace the rubber as it was real hard and splitting apart. I got the local windscreen guy to do the job as he's been around for years and he supplied a new rubber but when we re-installed the screen the top 2 corners don't seen to be sitting right, there's about a 10mm gap on both top corners and it looks crap!. You can push the seal out and it covers the corners but then shrinks back in again. we pulled the screen back out and just sat it there without the rubber and it seems to have equal gaps. Has anyone had this problem before and is there a fix for it?. The windscreen guy said we try and place a small bit of rubber packing into the corners to push it out?. Any help would great be appreciated. Cheers Scooter. 

As your windscreen guy has already suggested. A suitable size packing of some sort, be it a rubber strip, nylon cord, flyscreen spline etc

#3 Scooter09

Scooter09

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 07:45 AM

Cheers mate thank you. 

#4 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 25 November 2023 - 10:03 AM

Hi Dave. I would suggest ring Nathan at Glass for Classics in QLD. He has been quite helpful to me in the past. Cheers Ron 

#5 4dabush

4dabush

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:73 LJ S

Posted 25 November 2023 - 11:48 AM

Not 100% sure, but I thought I read, maybe even an old post on here, that even the factory had to pack out the occasional windscreen rubber. Maybe due to tooling wear/tooling deficiencies/ glass supply?  Like our little torries have no 2 with the same door gaps, and some have factory packers for the latch.   I had a sneaking suspicion that the factory used a rope like packer (more like a rope rear main seal than twine) between the glass and the rubber to push the rubber into the corners of the body more.

I just looked at my old seal on the old screen and can’t see anything on it but it’s near impossible to get to where it is sitting and I know my screen has been out 2 x before, so anything could have happened. If the seal is tight to the screen and has sealant in it, (or whatever is recommended - again thought I saw some mention of something else between glass and rubber) and the seal is masticed up well and it’s squeezed out all around,  and the locking strip is in place and sitting tight, then you should have a waterproof seal. 

#6 Scooter09

Scooter09

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 02:09 PM

Thanks heaps guy's Appreciate your help. Makes sense to put a packer in but just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a bigger issue as I've only had my car for a few months now. Cheers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users