8 replies to this topic

#1 klevliend

klevliend

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 04:54 PM

Hey all, I'm wondering if anybody knows what car the Su filter housing in the photos came off? I've got one and want to find another two to use on my triple SU set.

And if anybody has experience using them that'd be great to hear. The housing has a really nice fit to the SU, with a rounded radius leading in, like a very short ram tube. I'm hoping that such a radius will give a slight boost in air flow efficiency / reduce turbulence.

I'm thinking I could use a rod coupler nut to 'extend' the stud out and accommodate a thicker paper element filter. Diameter of the housing is only a couple mm off 100 mm, so shouldn't be too hard a filter that fits. Have even though of using a pod filter with a rubber neck clamped to the housing.

But first would need to track down two more. Does anyone know what car they're off or where I can find some more?

CheersAttached File  Screenshot 2023-12-09 175227.jpg   143.06K   3 downloads

#2 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Name:Bruce
  • Car:FC Holden, VK Commodore, - Ex torana owner

Posted 09 December 2023 - 09:38 PM

do look nice, I reckon su’s would like those. The part number says they are from morris.
VIzard tested all sorts of trumpet shapes.
This the result chart from one of his books

Attached File  IMG_0735.png   598.86K   5 downloads

Yours is like example 11, chart says that is the best of the lot (flow-wise)

#3 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2023 - 09:42 PM

They are either of an Austin 1800 or Austin Tasman(late 60's/early 70's).

#4 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 09 December 2023 - 09:52 PM

Hey all, I'm wondering if anybody knows what car the Su filter housing in the photos came off? I've got one and want to find another two to use on my triple SU set.

And if anybody has experience using them that'd be great to hear. The housing has a really nice fit to the SU, with a rounded radius leading in, like a very short ram tube. I'm hoping that such a radius will give a slight boost in air flow efficiency / reduce turbulence.

I'm thinking I could use a rod coupler nut to 'extend' the stud out and accommodate a thicker paper element filter. Diameter of the housing is only a couple mm off 100 mm, so shouldn't be too hard a filter that fits. Have even though of using a pod filter with a rubber neck clamped to the housing.

But first would need to track down two more. Does anyone know what car they're off or where I can find some more?

Cheersattachicon.gif Screenshot 2023-12-09 175227.jpg

Why don't you get it 3d printed. X 3 & your good to go.

#5 klevliend

klevliend

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 05:36 PM

Awesome, thanks for the help, much appreciated. And thanks for linking Vizard's work, great to see its at least in the ballpark. Surprising how easy it to hurt flow, I've definitely got some #5 style ram tubes on the shelf that I'll avoid now.

I've considered getting it scanned and 3d printed but have no idea where to start. Who provides services like these and what does it cost?

#6 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 05:44 PM

There are three of them on Ebay really cheap. Will cost about $50 to freight though:

https://www.ebay.at/...:Bk9SR6Dq7KqKYw

Edited by yel327, 10 December 2023 - 05:44 PM.

#7 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 10 December 2023 - 06:58 PM

I run K&N pancake filters on my little red cute car and also I have stub stacks on the inlet to create a radius’d inlet. Can’t recall where I got the stub stacks from.

#8 klevliend

klevliend

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 02:47 PM

Have kept running with the idea and think I've got it nutted out. 

Found an air filter that fits, Mann C1996. It fits nicely to the base and with a little bit of trimming the paper element is inline with the base.
Also realised that a 180 mm 
stainless steel pot lid fits pretty darn well as an end cap  :driving:

Then can get some 12 mm stainless rod, drill and tap both ends to 5/16 UNC. One end screws into the base plate's bolt, the other a bolt tacked on there so there's something to get a spanner onto. 

Unfortunately it will be a while before I'm back where my tools are and finish the job  :<_<:  

Attached Files

#9 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 13 January 2024 - 04:36 PM

Very neat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk