brake warning light / parkbrake

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _ZAK308_

_ZAK308_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:29 PM

Hi guys,

I am working on the wiring of my LX, and would like to know how to check if the brake warning light and switch is working.

Also the wire from the park brake is not connected to anything. It has a plug on one end, but I can not see anywhere in the wiring harness to connect it.

Is anyone able to help.

Cheers :spoton:

#2 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

Yes, Dattoman will save the day for you ZAC308, just as soon as he sees this thread!
He's the man!

#3 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

Firstly, check the 'warning lights' thread in the 'general questions' forum. That should answer your questions, but if not, post again with more specific questions.

Re your park brake wire, it should have a connector at the park brake end identical to the door switch setup (they use the same switch), and if it does have a connector further up the wire (didn't think they did), it should connect to a wire of the same colour, ie light tan.

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

Hi Guys.

Dangerous is on the money. The park brake light wire is a light tan colour & on my LX anyway it comes directly out of the harness at the same point as the wiper switch wires. It has a simple 1/4" 'eye' terminal on the end which becomes part of the switch (same as the door switches).

The brake fail light is self checking, it should come on when the ignition switch is in the cranking position. If it doesn't, turn the ignition on & short both terminal of the fail switch to earth & the light will come on. If it doesn't it's probably a faulty globe or dash wiring problem.

Dr Terry.

#5 _ZAK308_

_ZAK308_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

Dangerous, Dr Terry. Thanks for your help. Should probably be able sort it out tonight.

BTW. great thread on warning lights. Very helpful. :clap:

Cheers.

#6 _ZAK308_

_ZAK308_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

I checked out the wiring last night, still no luck.

I earthed each wire from the brake fail switch, but only one caused the light to illuminate. Using a multimeter I found that this wire connects to point 'H' on the instrument cluster connector plug.

Were does the other wire from the brake fail switch run to? I havent been able to locate it yet.

Also the parkbrake wire is yellow with an 'eye' terminal at one end. I followed this into the harness, and it exits at the same point as the instrument cluster wires. It has a black plug at this end, but I can not find were it connects to. Any ideas?

Thanks.

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

I earthed each wire from the brake fail switch, but only one caused the light to illuminate.

Thats what should happen, so your light is good, the second wire should go to the ignition switch and become earthed when the starter is cranked. Given that you dont see the light working, this connection must be missing/damaged.

There is probably a test that you can do to see if the switch will work when its meant to, but otherwise you can really only check that the lamp and wires going to the switch are doing what they should be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users