Seano

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Name:Sean
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 15 February 2024 - 08:43 AM

Hi Guys, I'm looking at buying a 308 and trimatic which has been taken out of a HZ tonner, there is currently no anti pollution gear on this motor and my LX requires ADR27A compliance.The engine number is VT5000920 and from what I've read is early commodore.

From what I understand the motor and trimatic will fit, I'm unsure of what exactly is required, and availability of parts to make this work, there is currently a 202 with a trimatic in my LX at the moment, any assistance would be appreciated as it will help me to decide on the purchase of this motor.

#2 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:44 AM

You will need pollution controls that comply with the engine.

You may get away with the Torana stuff depending on how the person doing the inspection is on the day.

Cheers

Rob

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 02:59 PM

VT is early commodore but also used in later Commodore - VT was still used up until the end of 308 in mid VK. The number you put up isn’t a real engine number though, too many digits.

Not having pollution equipment is OK as long as the right intake and carby is there, then you can add it all back on.
If you clean it up and paint it red you should be able to pass it off as a red 5.0L which is VB Commodore which is ADR27A.
What date code is on it?
It will fit LX fine. To do it properly you’ll need LX engine mount adapters. The Trimatic will fit where the 6cyl one is and use the speedo cable and gearbox crossmember. Hopefully it’s a right hand shift Trimatic and will work with the LX T-bar, but you can pull the roll pins out in the shifter and swap it over to left shift if it is an original Commodore box. Or use a HQ-HZ TH400 T-bar.
You’ll need at least an LH-LX V8 tailshaft and V8 banjo centre, just get some UC drum axles for the fine splines.
Also get a V8 brake booster plus V8 LH-LX throttle cable.
Unless you are using extractors you’ll need to replace one of the exhaust manifolds with a Torana one.
If you get it I can point you towards all the right pollution equipment for it.

#4 Seano

Seano

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Name:Sean
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info, the date code from what i can tell is 3M4 which if I understand correctly would be 3rd December and probably 1984 which would make it a VK ?

And sorry the engine number is VT500920 (I had put to many 0's in) What am I looking for on the intake to know if it's the correct one and what carby should it have?

#5 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 11:36 PM

How strict are they down there?

Have put older red 308 into commodores & just done basics to get them passed for rego....proof of ownership for car & engine.

#6 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 04:25 AM

Is it an original GMH intake? If so and it has double bolts in the centre each side bolting it to the heads then it’ll work. And yes it’s VK which is fine as ADR27B or C works for an ADR27A car. Only really matters if you have to fit all the anti-pollution equipment. You will want a canister fitted and working though, far better than fuel smells.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users