Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 19 March 2024 - 06:37 PM

I have always had pretty poor radio reception,

I have tried 4 different aerials and the reception hasn't improved. I do not have an external aerial and have had the different aerials under the dash.

Tried the extendable metal aerial, short rubber aerial and 2 powered aerials. One powered under the dash and one inside the glass of the windscreen. I have earthed both the extendable and the rubber aerial. None of the attempts made any difference.

I have wondered if the ECM for the LS1 in the glove box is making the reception worse but the reception is also bad with the car off in the garage where my Subaru has good reception in the same location so I think its unlikely to be the ECM.

So I am wondering about a DAB stereo as I have tried enough different aerials I think it could be the cheap head unit.

Has anyone used a DAB head unit? Do we have enough DAB stations to make it worthwhile?

I'm planning on driving to Calder Park which is a good 11 hours at my speed so having some radio reception would be nice.

Interested in other suggestions too?

Cheers, Tom

#2 4dabush

4dabush

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:73 LJ S

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:38 PM

Hi Tom, check DAB availability first…only in capital cities at the moment. So an 11 hr drive will take you well out of city signal. I’ve just upgraded my 2022 Hilux ( head unit, amp, splits and sub) and the radio reception was pretty crap with the factory head unit and worse with a bigger better stereo. And worse still I hate ads so listen almost exclusively to Triple J and ABC up here is transmitted using a tin can and Barb wire.   However, my new head unit also has wireless apple CarPlay and in android CarPlay and both get you wifi radio which is brilliant! Wifi has no noise or loss of signal. On a long country run you might  lose it occasionally when you have no internet, so flick over to your fav Spotify playlist for a bit and then flick back. It’s possibly why none of the stations seem too concerned with improving their signal… I expect we’ll all be listening to radio via LiSTNR app in the future. 
good luck with it! 
cheers 

Adam 

#3 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 09:04 PM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the input,
I listen to similar signal strength stations,local community radio is my preference but have to adjust when away from the area.

I did listen to radio on my phone at work in the past and was told not to y the IT department due to data usage but maybe the apps have improved now to not be so heavy.

Will probably still upgrade the head unit even if I don't go DAB as the current one just isn't user friendly.

Cheers, Tom

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 06:27 AM

Fit an external aerial, an aerial "under the dash" isn't going to cut it.

The metal of the car body is completely shielding the aerial, making it virtually worthless.

Don't bother with DAB, not worth the effort.

Dr Terry

#5 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 06:48 AM

As Dr Terry says. Even if you fabricate something up out of aluminium sections that attaches to existing bolts so there aren't holes in the body. You could easily make something that fits between the bonnet ant the guard using the guard body bolts to hold it.

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2024 - 10:16 AM

I never use the radio in my car... can't remember whether my antenna ended up working okay or not. I want it just for a drive-in movie but that's about it.

If you're doing 11 hours on your own, I would seriously consider some noise cancelling headphones. I normally listen to bluetooth podcasts or music in my Torana (through the stereo) on long trips as it's reasonably well insulated etc. but I tried noise cancelling bluetooth headphones (on-ear not in-ear) on a long trip recently and I actually think it played a part in reducing my fatigue. I did like 9hrs in one stint and felt pretty decent at the other end.

#7 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 20 March 2024 - 10:25 AM

What is wrong with you people? An 8 cylinder soundtrack is all I need... And you change the tune with your right foot!

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2024 - 10:54 AM

lol my motor sounds pretty good but it isn't that interesting doing 110 on a straight road for several hours.

#9 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 10:58 AM

I'm like Heath. Don't need headphones but I just use Carplay on the Ram's system and listen to downloaded ABC conversations and similar things using the ABC listen app. Some of them are awesome, the one they did last year talking to Lee Miller's son about what his mother did during WW2 was amazing. The picture in the link below has a huge story behind it, she was a war correspondent and photographer and was one of the first non-combatants into Dachau the morning this photo was taken - the boots placed in the picture are covered in muck from Dachau.

https://www.newyorke...-in-hitlers-tub

There is a movie starring Kate Winslet as Lee coming out later this year. Called simply Lee.

Heaps of other very cool stuff to listen too just like that story.

#10 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 10:58 AM

Some interesting suggestion, 

I'm not sure I like the idea of headphones that could reduce me hearing what's going on outside but if it reduces fatigue I will have to consider it.

Haven't tried mounting the aerial in the front guard above the wheel, already have the air con dryer in there so could add it to that bracket. Might try that too.

#11 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 04:00 PM

I find that on the Sydney to Melbourne drive listing to podcasts keeps me awake and alert, and I seem to get less bothered by morons and their driving behaviors. I did the Brisbane to Newcastle drive a month ago and Coffs Harbour came up real quick, seemed like no time listening to podcasts. Then the drive from there down seemed to fly again. If I just listen to the radio it seems to drag on.

#12 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:42 AM

Pioneer always had the best reception in country areas in the past.  They even had a name for the "amplifier", but I don't know if they still use it.  Whatever head unit you end up with, make sure it has Car Play.  HDMI input is also handy for other apps on the phone.  I have tried noise cancelling headphones, but not hearing the car at all freaks me out too much.

#13 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 24 March 2024 - 08:58 PM

A few guys I know have these.

DAB, AM/FM Bluetooth, handsfree the lot.

And look original.

https://www.retrosou...[search]=torana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users