how to wire a electric choke on a holley?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

^^
Anyone wired one up b4.. i have one on my 390 and would like to wire it in.. does it need constant power to it?

cheers,
nathan

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

The ease of wiring this up will depend on what model Torrie you have and what ign you have. You need power to the choke when the ignition is in the on position and in the start position.
If you have fitted a 12V ignition you could take it directly of the +ve coil wire.
If conventional ignition:
Take the power off where the thick pink wire meets the fuse panel. This connection unfortunately gets all its power through the ignition resistance wire when the motor is cranking , so the choke needs to be able to stay working with only 8V or so applied, however, it will get 12V when the ignition is first turned to on and should still function even if the voltage drops to 6 or 7V through the resistance wire and return to 12 V when the motor is started. If you have a LX or UC there are several extensions of this pink wire under the bonnet, one that previously powered the antidieseling solenoid would suffice.

If the choke wont hold on while cranking, then youll never get started, the way around this would be to fit a relay that is switched by the +ve coil wire.

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

My memory of it will be that it drops shut (depending on how hot the heated coil is) the first time you touch the throttle and the spring winds it off...so choke will be on regardless of how little voltage is applied.

If it wont work with 8 volts it will just stay on longer..but only a tiny bit longer.

#4 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

ahh yea..

I dont use a pink wire.. i use a Wire staight from battery to +on coil via a switch and fuse.

So will this wire be ok? its 12V

so i just piggy back a wire from that one to the choke, or should i wire it into the accesories...

The engine starts all the time, first go even when cold.. its just wen cold it dies at the lights and stop signes, its quite dangerous.will the choke will solve this problem?

Thanx

#5 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

Copied from http://www.holley.com/45-224.asp (electric choke)

14. Connect the long wire from the kit to the positive choke cap terminal marked (+). Connect the other end of the wire to a
fused ignition activated 12V source. The choke cap should only get voltage when the engine is running. Check your
voltage source with a voltmeter.
WARNING: The distributor side of the coil is not a 12V source. Connecting the choke cap to the ignition coil will
result in unacceptable choke operation and possible engine misfiring resulting to possible engine
damage. Do not connect the choke wire to the coil!

#6 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

cheers, thanx for that..

So it must have to connect to accesories... cant wait to see this choke work :P

cheers,
nathan

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:42 PM

WARNING: The distributor side of the coil is not a 12V source. Connecting the choke cap to the ignition coil will
result in unacceptable choke operation and possible engine misfiring resulting to possible engine
damage. Do not connect the choke wire to the coil!

EXLXSL, I dont think you read what I wrote carefully. I suggested to take the power off the +ve side of the coil, which is not the distributer side(thats the -ve side), the +ve side will in ToranaZ case have a constant 12V supply in both the on position and the start position.
Wiring it the to accessories terminal may work when the engine is running, but remember you have to get it started first. Not having the choke operation in start mode could be problematical, depending on whether power is used to open or close the choke, for hot or cold starts or both! The accessories terminal goes dead when you crank the starter, so it is not really suitable for any thing that is required for the motor to run. The accessories position on the ignition switch is typically used when you run the radio etc when the car is parked, if you connect you choke to it, then there will be a unnecessary current drain in this application.
Torana Z, the +ve terminal of the coil will be your best option since you have already have the 12V ignition. I have used this setup myself, having an electric choke on a ww strommy.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 08 September 2006 - 07:50 PM.

#8 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

I dont use a pink wire.. i use a Wire staight from battery to +on coil via a switch and fuse.

Just took this in, is this roadworthy/legal?

#9 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

Yeap thanx heaps!

Going to wire it up soon :rockon:

I guess it is rwc haha whos to know, the cops wont know unless they try to steal the car and fail.

Thanx again!

,nathan

#10 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:21 PM

Devils

Not having a go or nothing.

That information was copied from www.holley.com. I was just passing on what Holley about wiring an electric chole on one of their carbies. It was THEIR warning afterall.

#11 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:37 PM

Please take some responsiblity for what you write EXLXSL, a simply acknowledgement that you didnt read my post correctly would suffice, or that you didnt realise that there would be a difference if it were connected to the +ve rather than the -ve?

ie "Sorry Devils, you did say the +ve terminal...my misunderstanding/mistake"
.........nothing wrong with the Holley site advice(about not connecting the choketo the distributor side of the coil), why blame them for your error?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 09 September 2006 - 10:47 PM.

#12 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:14 PM

Sorry Devils for any misunderstanding. Do not dispute any of the information you posted.

All the info from my post was as copied from the tech information on an electric choke from the Holley website. I just thought if may have been of some use.

#13 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:24 AM

:) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users