TOERUNNER

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Name:RODNEY
  • Car:73 lj gtr 73 lj 2 dr S

Posted 26 April 2024 - 03:30 PM

Hi guys, i am going to have a look at an lj gtr steering wheel tomorrow, i think i have read on here that they can be prone to cracking. Can anyone tell me where to check for cracks and breakages on the wheel . what sort of money are they worth in fair to good condition nowadays?

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 06:56 PM

Is it a HG wheel or a HQ wheel? HQ wheels don't really crack and are far more common but they do snap internally, but if it's a good original HT-HG GTS wheel expect to pay over $1000 especially of it's got the centre. HK ones are basically US wheels but the HT-HG ones were made here by Bridgestone for GMH.

The cracks on HK-HG wheels stand out like your bum crack, they are obvious. Normally around the spokes but can occur anywhere. Make sure it's got the silver insert in the rim too.

#3 TOERUNNER

TOERUNNER

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Name:RODNEY
  • Car:73 lj gtr 73 lj 2 dr S

Posted 26 April 2024 - 08:06 PM

Is it a HG wheel or a HQ wheel? HQ wheels don't really crack and are far more common but they do snap internally, but if it's a good original HT-HG GTS wheel expect to pay over $1000 especially of it's got the centre. HK ones are basically US wheels but the HT-HG ones were made here by Bridgestone for GMH.

The cracks on HK-HG wheels stand out like your bum crack, they are obvious. Normally around the spokes but can occur anywhere. Make sure it's got the silver insert in the rim too.

Original hq style wheel with the gtr cap

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 08:19 PM

Those are pretty good, normally just go sticky. They can break on the rim inside the grip but they go all floppy so it’s obvious. They are still worth OK $ but with repros around originals aren’t as valuable as they used to be.

#5 LCK186

LCK186

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Car:71 CK

Posted 26 April 2024 - 08:20 PM

hi most dont crack but if there is a crack it will be in the groove section only, easily spotted,    check the top section between the two  bars 3 and 9 o clock  if it flexes easily walk away its brocken,  if its all good then the price depends on how much grain has been worn off again the wear will be on 3 and 9 o clock, if its worn its worth 3 to 500 dollars if it has good grain up to 1000 dollars if it has exellent grain 2k plus   i hope this helps you

#6 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 26 April 2024 - 08:53 PM

Get a new one instead of a 40 year old steering wheel my 2 cents 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users