Old Member Signing In!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _AzzurrA_

_AzzurrA_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

Hi All!

Well, it's certainly been a while since i was in these parts of the woods, so i thought i'd drop in and say hi!

Alot of new faces here (and a couple of old ones too i see) but i'm not too sure if any of the 'old hands' i knew are still around...

I was around back in this site's infancy, back when it was run by V8gent (don't know if it still is or not?)... Back then i went by the name of ToranaFan...

while having never owned a torana myself, there always has been one on the cards, and it's still on the cards for the future...

have owned a few different cars since i was last here as well... back then i used to have a VK Commo Wagon :fool: , followed by a Toyota Sprinter, which was then succeeded by a Ford Sierra Turbo, which was traded in on my current car, which is a 1992 R32 Nissan Skyline....

so, i'm not quite sure what i'm hoping to achieve with this post, just saying hi i guess :driving: :D

#2 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

howdy :rockon:

#3 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

Hi Jason, welcome back and yes Tim/V8Gent is still around *sometimes*

#4 _AzzurrA_

_AzzurrA_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:21 PM

hey tinks, long time no speak!

#5 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

Welcome back =p

What motor did your sprinter run?
R32's look the toughest! Is it a GTR or a GTS-t?

#6 _AzzurrA_

_AzzurrA_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

i ran a 4AGE in the sprinter.

the '32 is a GTS-t, but with lots of money spent on stuff like suspension etc... just needs more power now (only have around 210 - 230hp @ wheels at the moment)

#7 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

Nice, a good friend of mine has a AE86 Trueno. 1600 4AGE - 200HP at the wheels. Revs out to 9200rpm blows away stock skylines and type R's at every light, goes around corners scarily though (back comes out all the time unless we have slicks on).

Put crappy tyres on the 32 and 210 hp will seem enough =p. My friends roll in '33 GTS-T's and they've got awesome motors in them. Handles and goes harder than my Lj thats for sure

#8 _AzzurrA_

_AzzurrA_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:20 AM

ultimately, i'm aiming for around 280hp @ wheels, which should be fairly achieveable without spending too much more money... that would make it a low 12 second car... as it sits at the moment, it would likely run a mid 13 second 1/4 (not that i ever have, and probably never will take it down the strip... it is built for circuit work)

i'm kicking myself that i didn't buy an LC GTR as my second car... i was looking at it in the dealership... numbers matched, was in immaculate condition, no rust, completely original etc.... $6000 (was a few years ago... i.e. about 5 or 6)

it would be worth a mint now :(

There is a torana project on the cards for the future... it involves a ground-up rebuild with basically every part being taken off and either recoed/replaced etc...

my only drama at the moment is deciding which direction i want to go in....

* whether i want to get an original and restore it back to factory (i.e. an A9X, or a SLR, or a GTR or something) as i feel it is not worth modifying these cars, due to their rarity (unless you keep all the original parts so it can be returned to stock)
* or get a base-spec car (i.e. an LC/LJ 2-door, or LH/LX sedan or coupe) and do a retro conversion on it... possibly something like a 2JZ or RBxx in an LC/LJ, or a 1UZFE or LS1 or LS3 or something in an LH/LX, with retro interior (though still keeping that muscle-car essence) and modern technology in terms of suspension etc...
* or build up a tough, 'original' streeter using a carbied 308 in an LH/LX or a hot 202 in a LC/LJ type thing (this is the least appealing of the 3 choices, due to the way petrol is heading, and the age of most of these parts etc)

the only thing is, i want whatever it is i buy to handle/stop half-decently... so that will probably involve a lot of suspension work as well, whether it is custom or off-the-shelf parts... and i'm not sure what the best platform for this would be to start off with....

#9 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:43 AM

So to get 210hp no doubt you went exhaust, apexi safc-ii and boos controller, intercooler and a retune, possibly bigger fuel pump? stock turbo and stock boost? If you want 280hp, a GT30R, 90mm throttle body and Z32MAF sensor and 450cc injectors would be on the cards then... I'd take circuit over drag racing anyday =p. If I didn't buy an LJ I would've bought a skyline gts-t. Then the new laws came in :furious: . . .

The price phenomonen has only been recent so a lot of people are kicking themselves ahah

All your options sound good - Can i add another one?

LJ 3.8 Supercharged, buy a donor car VS statesman or something engine, driveline, transmission, hoppers brake kit. You cant really go wrong with sucha light body and the v6 has a fair bit of poke in the heaver commodore bodies. Dr Terry showed me the light =p, I took one for a test drive to see if he was joking. Something Ill be looking to do in the near future.

the 1uzfe is too big for the LH-LX torana, I tink someone on this forum tried but found it to be too much of a hassle. quad cam V8 mmm...

A lot of people will say to keep the Torana original But at the end of the day your going to be driving it day in day out (or every weekend)....

#10 _AzzurrA_

_AzzurrA_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:00 AM

i have the following engine mods:

3" Turbo back Exhaust
Pod Filter
RB25 Turbo with RB20 Actuator (increases base boost to around 10psi)
R34 GTT Sidemount Intercooler with Custom Piping
Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator
Walbro 255 Litre/Hour Fuel Pump
11psi Boost
Remapped ECU

here's an old dyno chart of it:
Posted Image

since then i put it on a different dyno, as it seemed to be detonating a bit... we had to knock a few degrees of timing out of it, and i also richened up the mixtures to around 11.5:1, so i lost a little bit of power there... not sure how much though, as it was on a different dyno than the above run, and we all know how readings can vary from place to place...

hrm, i know i'm going to piss alot of people off with this statement, but i'll make it anyway....
I don't think i could live with myself if i used a Supercharged (or any holden V6 for that matter) engine... 'to me' (i.e. not everyone has to agree with me), and in my experience, they seem to run very harsh, poorly made, sound terrible... basically everything i would associate with a tractor engine... As i said, that's only my opinion though, so if you like them, i won't hold it against you :P...

would be interesting measuring up a 1UZ, and finding out the available space in the engine bay, as i've seen one exposed in the flesh (a friends dad owns a Bullet Roadster) and they're not really that big... failing that, there are always other V8's, such as the Nissan VH45DE etc...

one of the reasons i'm leaning towards the japanese stuff is most of them have Alloy blocks/heads etc... with my project i'll be trying to keep the weight down to a minimum, and also aiming for a good distribution of weight, to aid in handling etc...

Edited by AzzurrA, 10 September 2006 - 01:01 AM.

#11 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:16 AM

VH45 in a Skyline has been done so you should be right there, with turbo youl make big power.

#12 _AzzurrA_

_AzzurrA_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:27 AM

Bart, i was talking about VH45 into an LH/LX :D
don't know if i'd go turbo... if i was to go F.I. i would probably go for a supercharger.

#13 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:58 AM

Oops i didnt read all your post, someone here is doing a VH45 in an LH, i dont know how far he got.
Im doing a VH41 in my LJ, did the trial fit and she tight as a fishes ass in there lol, it will have twin turbos if i get off my ass and do it. :rolleyes:
Have to machine off the cam cover edges to make some extra clearance to the chasss rails and notch out the front of the rails where the cam gears are.
https://cache.gmh-torana.com.au/i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/toranacar/DSC00273.jpg[/img]]My Webpage://https://cache.gmh-torana.com.au/i50.photobucket.com/albums/f...img]]My Webpage://https://cache.gmh-torana.com.au/i50.photobucket.com/albums/f...img]]My Webpage
https://cache.gmh-torana.com.au/i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/toranacar/DSC00270.jpg[/img]]My Webpage://https://cache.gmh-torana.com.au/i50.photobucket.com/albums/f...img]]My Webpage://https://cache.gmh-torana.com.au/i50.photobucket.com/albums/f...img]]My Webpage

#14 _AzzurrA_

_AzzurrA_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:44 AM

geez, you're not wrong about it being a tight fit!
VH41... can't say i've encountered one of them before... what are they out of? A Navara or something?
have you compensated for the engine twisting in the mounts when you give it a bootful? or is it going to be fairly solidly mounted?

#15 _AzzurrA_

_AzzurrA_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:02 PM

any ideas which car would be the best base to start with?

#16 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:49 AM

The VH41 is the VH45's baby brother, most internals are interchangable IE 45 crank in 41 block.
There are differences in head/port design over the years from 1990 to 2000, the mid 90's engines seem to be the best in 45 and 41 format, the early 90's 45's had twin exhaust ports as the later 45 had single oval exhaust ports, the twin oval had more torque at lower rev range.
The 41 is out of the Nissan Cima in Japan.
SSS Autos imported it for me they are in Sydney. Cost me $1000 at my door, has 110000kms on it.
Check out Nizpro and Nico forums if you like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users