LC/LJ Extractors for EFI V8

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

Hi guys! I know there is very limited choice for off-the-shelf extractors for V8 LC LJ toranas. I think most people go for the CastleAuto (CRS) extractors. These extractors have 1 5/8" primaries, and a 2 1/4" collector. These will be a little restrictive for my VN-headed 355ci (making around 440hp).

I don't think there are any other options. So I am considering making a 1 3/4" set myself from scratch. But I'm feeling a bit lazy at the moment.

So, has anyone tried buying a set of HQ or Commodore Pacemakers, and seeing how close they are to fitting? I realise they won't fit, but could they be easily modified to fit? Anyone done this?

#2 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:07 PM

I put vs hsv headers but they are too restrictive as well.Custom would be the way to go.

Commodore pacemakers require a lot of modification as the o/s hits the steering & the n/s will have problems with the crossmember,fitting them would be a bitch.

If you got the 1 5/8 hq pacemakers I think the n/s migth work & them chop/mod o/s if you could get them cheap enough,still quite a bit of work imo.I dont think 1 3/4 would fit as they are different again.

If I get mine done I want them in 2 pieces each side so that you can remove them easier,my short hsv headers is hard to take out.

If you want to just get it running,track down some vn calais steel headers or hsv ones cheaply & mod the bottoms.Std cast headers are no good as you can't fit dipstick & exhaust outlet aims at steering knuckles but a custom set is the best way to go.

Edited by gtrboyy, 15 September 2006 - 11:12 PM.

#3 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

OK cool. Sounds like the HQ and Commodore ones won't fit very easily then.
What size are the HSV primaries? I don't want anything smaller than 1 3/4 inch.
So it looks like I'm stuck with custom made ones.

Oh and just another question: What do you mean by "o/s" and "n/s"

#4 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

out side and near side...means when a car is parked on the curb, the near side is the passenger side.

#5 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

i hope these help mate :D

#6 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

Thanks. I don't want to be cutting holes in my inner gaurds though. I'll be getting extractors that go down beneath the chassis rails.

#7 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

i have the castlemane ones and they arnt much room when they are in

#8 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

I have the same issue im running the crs ones and they are to small the up and overs would be the way to go but im not cutting my guards either

#9 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

Didnt Harrop make some as well? CRS stuff is a real hit and miss from my experience...everything needs to be modded..all the jigs are stuffed.
R

#10 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

I don't know whether Harrop make any... i'll look into that!

But for now, I think I'm planning on buying a complete DIY exhaust header kit from www.darrendifilippo.com.au for $385 and making a set of 1 3/4" Tri-Y's with a 3 inch collector. The kits come will all pipes, bends, collectors and header plates. Not too bad really.

#11 _LJ308injected_

_LJ308injected_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:06 PM

Lhoon
Hey there buddy
if you are gonna go custom give these bloke's a buzz
www.galdezracing.com.au
they quoted me $750 and he was confident he would get 1 7/8 to fit and there workman ship is 2nd to none..
but what ever you do in "Vic" these day's you cant get engineer's through the inner guard's so dont go that way..

Also mate how did you go with your head's ? what did they flow i think you went pretty simular to mine..

STEVE

#12 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

Also mate how did you go with your head's ? what did they flow i think you went pretty simular to mine..

Hi Steve. My heads ended up flowing 515hp @0.600" and 68% exhaust efficiency. I was happy with that. My motor won't need any more than that.

Thanks for lettting me know about galdezracing. They sound pretty good. But I'd actually rather make them myself (with the help of one of my friends who is very handy with a TIG). I know I will be happy with them. I tend to find that no-one can ever put as much care and effort as you would yourself.

#13 _LJ308injected_

_LJ308injected_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

Very true about nobody can put more effort in than yourself..
as for my head's they flowed 570hp did you keep standard size valve's ?

Cheer's Steve

#14 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

yep, standard valves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users