- - - - -

202 to luke warm 308

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:08 AM

Well, after my SL/R's 6cyl grew tired and old it was time to (finally) pull it out.
It's been a long time coming buying bits and pieces and asking questions for a long time on the old GMH forums and between pulling out the v8 from a VB commodore to pulling the v8 itself apart and rebuilding it, down to pulling the 6 cyl apart for removal, I've learnt alot along the way.

She's a genuine SL/R 202 and the old 6 cyl will either see new days in my old man's EK (which will remain property of the torana, and if either get sold for any reason - 6 cyl must stay with the torry), or it will see days plastic wrapped and sitting around in the garage for many years.

The v8 that's going in is a freshly bored 308 that I picked up for $300 [long], only problem with it [that I could find pulling it apart] turned out to be a blown headgasket - internals all look great.
It's sporting a TH350 behind it that was reco'd and then unused which i paid $200 for.
Was thrown the brand new completely unused radiator from the guy who sold me the v8 for free since he felt bad that the v8 had unknown problems to begin with (headgasket).

All of which I have dated receipts for when it was all reconditioned.
All in all, figured I didn't do too badly, grabbed it off a mate [neither of us were really sure on what all the gear was worth - but I figured I didn't do too badly] so I trust it's history, still rev's checked the commodore it came in + the engine block and it's clean.

Pacemaker Tri-Y 1 and 5/8th" primaries are ready to for the block, and I intend to go with dual 2.25" exhaust (xpipe) and if I can, walker super turbo mufflers (unless someone has a better idea for mufflers for that system).

Can't wait to get my car back on the road, not just for the idea of finally having a v8 in it [been waiting over 4 years], but for the sake of having my car back on the road :)

Edited by Loki, 16 December 2005 - 08:10 AM.

#2 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:21 PM

Hey man, nice car! Never thought i'd find another that looked almost exactly the same. Do you know the name of the colour of yours? I think mine was a ford-metallic gold-dust. Pretty rare i thought! Anyways, good luck getting it on the road, i cant wait for my new engine!

#3 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

The colour's name is "cognac" (pronounced 'conyak' i think).
It's seen a few years of fade so it's a bit lighter and 'golder' than the original colour.

Yours a 6 going to 8 as well?

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:54 PM

Great looking LH mate, nice and unique without the kit.

Sorry for answering his question but I think he's going an RB30T

#5 _SLR5000_

_SLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

Hi Loki, I have been a fan of you car for sometime now, have you any pictures of the V8 exchange? Bet you cant wait to feel the difference in power :)

Garry

aka Zed

#6 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

Now that's a nice SLR you have. Sounds like it's about to sound nicer! :D

#7 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:16 AM

Hey Zed I remember ya :)
Did you get that website of yours up and running? :) (throw me a link)

I have few pics, started to try to setup a video camera on a tripod and record it in time-lapse but the girl forgot to rewind the tape :lol:

Been having issues with the conversion actually (re: engine mounts and being a noob and only getting half the setup).

And rather lately :rolleyes: , deciding to try and find a proper tailshaft setup to put the power down.
Not the smoothest of conversions but for my first and getting mixed advice from different sources + not being a straight swap-over I haven't been doing too badly I suppose.

Going to be painstaking trying to get it from a running engine to a moving car (time for yoke/tailshaft/uni joint hunting).

Feel free to do what you like with any of the pics from past or present Zed.

Posted Image
Trolly Jack to help the angle of the gearbox on entry
Take off every zig

#8 _SLR5000_

_SLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:44 PM

Mate she is looking good! cant wait to hear your feedback on car when you take it for its first drive.

Yes did finally get the website up http://www.torana.info I still have plenty of pictures to put up on site, but as it is at present certainly worth a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users