GTR dash speedo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _whiteLC_

_whiteLC_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:59 PM

The GTR dash I have (can't remember the year) in my LC, has a speedo with both kph and mph markings on the face.
Did any models (LJ/LC) come out with both markings on the speedo face? or is it an addition that became available when we went metric?

HOWEVER, the main question I have is, what does the odometer read.... KPH or MPH??

#2 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:48 PM

It should be mph. It could be sticker on your dash face.

#3 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

Basicaly all LCs should have MPH, and LJs have MPH up to 73 somewhere. My 5/73 car had MPH and my 9/73 car has KPH with MPH inside.

As JBird said if its a sticker, then the odometer will be in Miles. Maybe on a country trip compare the distances on the green signs and how far the odemtre says you have traveled and see if the odometre is reading Miles or Kilometeres?

Steve

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

Hi Guys.

Yes, as the others have said, ALL LCs have MPH speedos, except some export cars, of course. Metric speedos were gradually introduced in production during 1973, firstly with dual scales (MPH & km/h) & finally metric only. There is no firm date, as it varied from factory to factory depending on existing stocks. Theoretically all cars with a BLJ chassis prefix should have metric speedos, but I have seen original untouched cars without.

The stick-on speedo dial faces were a common aftermarket thing in the mid 70s, to convert MPH speedos after all the road signs changed to metric. From memory the most common type had both white & yellow markings on them, but all factory LC/LJ speedos had white only.

Dr Terry

#5 _whiteLC_

_whiteLC_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

Cheers guys,
I think the date on the back of the dash was something '93 and it certainly looks original (all white markings), so maybe it was one of the original dual scale one's. If so I'm guessing the odometer will measure kph....

As 73LJWhiteSL says, I'll do a bit of a test myself and find out for sure.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users