HPC Coating

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

Hi ppl,

I'm trying to cut down as much heat in the engine bay as possible and was considering getting my new extractors HPC coated. Is there anyone who has this done and can say whether it makes a difference, also how long it lasts, should I bother etc.

The claimed rates of improvement are 30% but I have also heard that it causes the pipes to rust and they may need to be replaced as soon as 5 years.

Any info/feedback/opinions would be great.

Thanks,

Liam.

#2 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:35 PM

I thought that if u got brand new pipes HPC'd then they had a lifetime warranty after that? Im sure i heard that somewhere. When they HPC, they do the inside of the pipes too, so theres not much that can rust i dont think.

A1

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

It works beautifully. They guarantee their coating for 5 years and it is a very good anti corrosion coating. Polishes up nicely too.

You can belt the exhaust with a hammer (clearance issues) and the HPC bends with the pipe and is undamaged.

#4 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

anyone know how much it costs?

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:01 PM

bout $270 for a set of extractors. (holden six)

#6 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:54 PM

And about $400ish for a V8...

It doesn't cause stuff to rust that's the Hi-temp thermo wrap.. Avoid that stuff like the plague unless you're running cast iron exhaust manifolds.

#7 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

O.k cool, thanks guys. I was told that because it is a ceramic based product it causes (I think) the pipes to become porus as it heats and cools, trapping water inbetween the coating and the pipes and they will eventually fall apart, depends how often the car is driven how quickly it happens.

I was quoted $305 for the HPC coating if I wanted it on my new extractors, thats for an 8. It was $290 for the coating and $15 for the delivery from a mob that did it in Castlemaine.

Cheers,

#8 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:59 AM

I cant rave about HPC coating more, ive got it on my extractors and my intake manifold, its so easy to keep clean and the temp drop is great, and my extractors are about 5 years old and they're not rusting...

#9 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:10 PM

i would recommend jet hot coatings in castlemaine vic , have used both companies , jet hot seemed a bit cheaper and a nicer finish ..

#10 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:32 PM

Engine bay temp is what I am hoping to influence the most which you say it has influenced which is good. Can you tell me if you found any difference in performance at all? Whether because their was more density in the extractors airflow was higher or because of heat it was slower etc. Am just trying to get the most amount of info possible.

Peace,

#11 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:02 PM

Does anyone know that if the finish is burnt (as in over heated) causing it to go matte if it can be polished back up to be shiny without damaging it?

I'm not sure which brand of coating ive got, but we ran teh engine a bit lean and overheated the pipes. On the bends the coating has gone matte and i'd like to try and polish it back to the semi-gloss it was.

Also ive had a large oil spillage onto them and hence burnt oil in the coating too. Will polishing remove all this? And then of course.... what polish and method is best!?

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users