RB30ET wiring help!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:13 PM

Hi all, i'm 99% done with my rb30et conversion. the only thing left is that i cant get the ECU to turn the fuel pumps on itself. I always thought that the ECU controlled the pumps, therefore if you had a crash or something, that the ecu would switch them off if the engine stopped right? Anyways, i've printed all the info i could off the net (insanevl.com etc), and i already have a gregories manual. I have an N/A wiring loom and a VLt auto ecu, but am running a r33 5 speed box. From the wiring info i've found, it looks asthough its either the purple/violet wire on the big black connector (that also has the tacho signal, oil press, coolant temp etc) or the dark green wire on the big blue plug that also has the big orange ecu power wires. Which 1 is meant to turn on the fuel pump relay? I can get the engine running but only if i turn the pumps on through the torana ignition wire. But thats not really how its meant to be isnt it? I've already connected the grey neutral switch wire, and the 2 pink wires together to the torana ignition wire so the ecu will switch on, but i must be missing something else. Im wondering if its something to do with the neutral switch or anti-theft stuff. Also, the brown wire on the blue plug, is that what is meant to turn on the ecu power supply relay? Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated, its the last thing i need to sort out before i can get this thing on the road! I'm going to try do up a thread on everything i did/had to do with photos. So far the conversion has gone great!!!

#2 _switchedon_

_switchedon_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:27 AM

mate the easiest way to see if it is the fuel pump signal is to grab ya test light connect alligator clip to good earth and other end to the purple cable, turn ignition on and if it illuminates for around 5 seconds then goes out, your halfway there, then crank the engine and see that the test light illuminates again if this happens, use that cble to trigger pin 85 on your relay, 86 to earth, 30 to battery, and 87 to fuel pump. im almost positive that the fuel pump signal feed will be the purple wire. hope this helps.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:41 AM

With EFI the ECU generally can't handle big AMP draws like a fuel pump. Generally, the ECU powers up a relay to start the pump. Again generally the big voilet wire on a Holden supplys battery power to the pump.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

#4 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:40 AM

If you still have trouble with this, give CAL-A-KID a PM, he's a Townsville lad who's basically finished his RB30ET conversion in his LX Hatch... He doesnt really frequent the GMH-Torana forums, but he is registered through us... And he's also found on Calaisturbo.com.au too under the same username.

He should be able to point you in the right direction!

Cheers
Keith

#5 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! I've got a relay that gets power straight from the battery (which is in the boot), and i thought the signal for the relay came from ecu. Ive tried both the purple and dark green wires, neither seems to want to work. It'll give us spark, but it just doesnt seem to want to turn the pumps on? Does anyone know if the purple is supposed to have power for the o2, air regulator anyways? I'll keep tryin and let you's know!

#6 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:42 PM

Mate grab a tachiometric relay and wire it off your coil..its the way they do power to the LPG lockoff solenoids now.

#7 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

use any switched 12v source to trigger the relay

#8 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:50 PM

The good book says: Ign. power for the relay comes from the ECU terminal "34" (this also feeds the coil) and is earthed through the ECU at terminal 16. with Ign. on and cranking. The battery power to the relay is supplied via a fusible link then through fuse "3" on a Skyline. If I am reading this diagram correctly :<_<:

Posted Image

Good luck!

Edited by rodomo, 24 September 2006 - 12:03 AM.

#9 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:57 AM

I have no experience at all with the ecu or the conversion, but just looking at the diag supplied by Rodomo:
My interpretation of the diagram says that whatever wire you have going to the +ve of the coil(from your ignition switch)should also go to terminal 34(it is a 12v input terminal, not an output for 12V) of the ECU and that the relay for the fuel pump gets its 12v trigger from this wire(direct from the +ve coil wire) , and that the fuel pump relay trigger circuit(solenoid) is activated by being earthed at terminal 16.
To test if the ecu is working properly in this regard, terminal 16 should provide a connection to earth for 2-3 secs when the ign is first turned to on.......terminal 34 is going to be live when ever the ignition is switched on......because thats what it is connected to. Terminal 16 should also provide a connection to earth when the motor is cranked or when it is running, but this depends on whether ecu terminal 3 is getting a signal from the tach indicating the motor is actually turning over. (the ecu having its own form of a tachiometric relay) Im not sure(looking at the diag) what sort of signal from the tach we are looking for(perhaps just the connection to the -ve of the coil or whether there is something different from a nissan tach), the tach wire actually joining the ign wire doesnt make sense on the diagram....to me anyway

Edited by devilsadvocate, 24 September 2006 - 02:11 AM.

#10 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:22 AM

^ correct.

#11 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:07 AM

Hey guys, thanks heaps for this info, i didnt realise that the signal wire switched to ground. I'll go and change my wiring and let ya's know how it goes!! You guys are awesome!!!!!!

PS- i put a similar thread on calaisturbo.com aswell, heres their info.
http://www.calaistur...ead.php?t=88242

#12 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

Hey guys, changed fuel pump relay wiring, all works sweet now! Thanks heaps again!!! Just gotta put the seats back in, bonnet on and fill the gearbox with oil!!

#13 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

update your thread in the members gallery with some new pics/info

sounds great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users