12 replies to this topic

#1 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

I am about ready to fit elecric windows to my hatch, i just need help wih what switches to use.

I have Vn regulators, which have two wires going ot them. So i take it i need a 6 pin switch ( per side! ) i am just wondering hat other people have used and how to go about wiring it up?

Is it as easy as 12v power to the swithch and earth aswell as the two wiresthat go the the reglulatr motor themselves? cheers heaps
Barns

#2 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

pm herne, he has done this conversion, and has advised a lot of people on the matter
he may be able to help you
cheers
dave

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

I have spoken to Barny on this many times before ;)

I had a mate wire mine up and we used the Power Window switch from a Hyundai XL sprint.
I am sure any wreckers will have a selection of power window switches to select from and if stuck find someone who knows how to wire them up like I did.

Maybe someone like REDA9X or devilsadvocate or another forum member will be able to advise you and even draw a mud map of what goes where? Both seem to know about auto electrics.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 24 September 2006 - 04:06 PM.

#4 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

yeah
forgot to mention i have everythign else sussedthanks to Herne just got to to the wiring side ofthings
i will hit up the wreckers for soem nicer lokoing switches

Cheers
Barns

#5 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

no worries mate

#6 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

Wiring leccy window switches is easy.
You'll need a DPDT (Double pole double throw) switch, momentary action centre off. This means it will return to the off position when released.
Jaycar has them, part No. SK0980 at www.jaycar.com.au thats what we use when fitting them if required.
Wire it up as per this mud map/diagram, its pretty straight forward. This will simply reverse the +/- to the motor.
Posted Image

#7 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:33 PM

use the switch to trigger a relay unless its one that can handle a fair bit of current, motors do suck a fair bit of juice

#8 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

Hey Hotrodder, would a similar switch work on electric mirrors?

#9 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:45 AM

Never really missed not having eleccy windows on my torrie.....my armspan is 195cm so I can reach all the winders from the driving seat comfortably......
Hotrodder has suggested a 10A switch which on the surface would sound fine(you can dpdt switches in higher ratings if necessary), I cant imagine youd operate the switch for too long if the window was jammed etc.
Obviously you are doing eleccy windows for esthetics as well and just the look of the switches and location will be a big factor in what you choose.
Are you going for switches on each door as well as one control panel on the drivers door or console. Certainly if you just have a centre console in the middle of the car then you need to factor in the thickness of all the wires going to it and it may be neater to have just lighter switches here and relays mounted under the dash for each winder, but I think you would need at least 2 relays per motor to prevent eliminate the need for full current at the switch........havent looked at that carefully, perhaps 3.
So id ditch the relay idea(expensive.....youd need switches anyway...........multiplying the chances of failure by five with each relay!)
Id be looking at wreckers for controls of other vehicles that suited for price and looks especially if you want the full singing and dancing switches on each door and master controller.

#10 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

Hot rodder cheers heaps for that

#11 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

I wired mine up a hotrodder shows and it worked fine for about two years till I decided to make them remote control wich meant adding a couple of relays in each door, I also got to replace the wires to the passenger door from the drivers door with thinner ones wich was good becuase I had too much wire in the loom from the door as I also had cruise control and central locking in the door.
If you are using relays you can use any rated toggle, rocker or push button switches wich cuts down the price a lttle. without the relay you need some good 10-20a wire and heavy duty switches, either way I never had any probs with the windows, I fitted them to my FC years ago when I was unemployed and broke, the pair of switches I started with cost me $12, a few weeks later I had the $6 to put a switch in my passenger door so the missus didnt have to keep asking me to put the window up and down, I had limited tools and money but I still managed to get it all running with the hammer and grinder.
here is a pic of the motors in my old doors, I do work a bit neater now.
Posted Image

#12 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

I am now using the switches used by gm from 1959 till about 72, if you are doing a hi tech style interior you might want some out of a new car but dont use vn-vs commodore ones. if the car is not trimmed hi tech style I would be looking for some from a gm car of the same year as your car, holden usualy shared power window switches with other gm brands like chev and pontiac so if you use any switches from the same era it should look factory.
here is the switches i am using in my 59 FC, the same as used in well optioned 59 chevs.
Posted Image

#13 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

And here's a link from GML31's site with Hernes electric window fitup
http://www.torana.or...ric_windows.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users