xu1 headers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _fat tony_

_fat tony_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

G'day I have the 202 out of my car and in at the engine shop at the moment. The dude freshening it up has done a fair few red motors before and has recommended I turf the xu1 two piece headers for some extractors. I thought the headers did an alright job and want the engine bay to look standard. Does anyone have any sort of idea on what sort of job the headers do as some people have told me they have seen 250hp + engines still using the old cast headers.

#2 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:02 PM

Depends on what you want to do with your car Fat tony !!!!

If you want horsepower then bomb the eye balls out of a std 2 door not an XU1 !

My opinion anyway !!

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:16 AM

Good topic!
I am interested to learn more too. I have seen and read things about wrapping up extractors to retain heat but am not sure of the reason. I fathom from that that headers would probably do that automatically? Also with the length and size of the engine pipes from the headers to the "Y" piece looks to me to be a gain. The blue/black motor exhaust manifold is effectively headers joined with a couple of extras added for inlet manifold heating. They have better flow characteristics than the old headers as they have less tight corners, but again have big engine pipes to the "Y" section. Having said all that, the EFI black motor had extractors from the factory. Is it cheaper to cast headers than it is to fabricate extractors?

#4 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:28 AM

My old exhaust consited of extractors (dont know what brand, but they where stuffed hence the replacment) and 2 1/4" system. It was replaced with the 2 piece headers and a 2 1/2" system and its far better. The car seems heaps more drivable at low engine speeds just off idle

#5 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:57 AM

keep the originals mate, you could open them up a bit with a die grinder

Also you could get the pipes made up to look factory but with slighty larger pipe and mendrel bends to get a bit of better flow

Plus you may not be able to get historic rego with extractors (ive already asked this question before)

Cheers

Loui

#6 _fat tony_

_fat tony_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:51 AM

Thanx Loui, I Like the idea of porting the headers with a die grinder. I have also heard of people welding in dividers inside the headers too. Have any of you guys done this before ?

Has anyone else got an opinion on what makes more power between headers and extractors ?

If I do put extractors on has anyone been able to get the factory heat sheild back on with the extractors ? ( my heat sheild is pretty bent up so I don't mind bending it some more ).

Thanks for everyone suggestions - Fat Tony.

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:36 AM

Good topic!
I am interested to learn more too. I have seen and read things about wrapping up extractors to retain heat but am not sure of the reason. I fathom from that that headers would probably do that automatically? Also with the length and size of the engine pipes from the headers to the "Y" piece looks to me to be a gain. The blue/black motor exhaust manifold is effectively headers joined with a couple of extras added for inlet manifold heating. They have better flow characteristics than the old headers as they have less tight corners, but again have big engine pipes to the "Y" section. Having said all that, the EFI black motor had extractors from the factory. Is it cheaper to cast headers than it is to fabricate extractors?

i use rodomo's question here as it has the essence of my answer here.
i have never and probably never will own a hot 6 but speaking theoretically it will apply to any motor.
heat retension aids in the speed of the exhaust, the quicker it cools the slower it goes and yes cast iron retains heat better than 1mm steel.
length (tuned) in Y piece will aid in mid range torque.
tight even radius corners are better than long sweeping curves as they interupt flow more.
casting is cheeper because there is less chance of human error in mass production.

i would ask the builder for some proven gains and if you need that extra (claimed) horsepower then go headers.
or untill you get some hard facts run the casties.

there should be no need to die grind anything bar rough edges etc

ive seen a rail with hot 6 go back to the cast headers for an improvenent.

Edited by ALX76, 30 September 2006 - 11:39 AM.

#8 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

I have always used the headers, even with triple Webers.
I have just changed to a 3.3 Commodore engine and am a little disapointed that the headers don't fit. I will be fitting extractors only because I have to.
John.

#9 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:26 PM

I have just changed to a 3.3 Commodore engine and am a little disapointed that the headers don't fit.

The cast blue/black exhaust manifolds are headers. They are just joined together.

#10 _Scotty_

_Scotty_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:08 AM

i guess if you want 'real' improvements, custom is the only way to go..?

other than that, grab a set and a set of well known brand sof extractors and get them tested for flow?

#11 _Tangey_

_Tangey_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:45 AM

A good set of extractors will work better than cast headers,
the XU1 headers are a really good mass produced item.
Correct length extractors will do just that, they will literally suck the exhaust
down the pipe.
Extractors cost more to manufacture so are not usually factory fitted.
Look at RT Charger, 73 Bathurst XU1, XY HO etc. all have factory fitted
extractors. Small production numbers, but homologation race cars.
The headers work fine but the extractors will work better.
Remember though it all depends on the engine you have.
The higher the specs. of the engine the greater the need to
get it in & get it out.(broadly speaking)
Heat wrapping does improve performance & heat dissipation but it alters
the steal structure, raises the carbon level making them brittle.
They just won't last as long thats all.
If it is a genuine XU1 stay with headers, if not get a GOOD set of extractos.
Something to think about.
Cheers.

#12 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

Torana's have an unmistakeable exhaust note, the combo of headers a resonator gave them a crisp sound. Even the jam tim like resonator on the xu1's and twin outlet muffler gave them that note we love to hear.

Attached is a pic of the old resonator off my lc gtr, notice how its basically straight through with a perforated pipe.

With the aftermarket resonators(hotdogs) they catch the exhaust and more than likely change its sound.

https://cache.gmh-to...trresonator.jpg

#13 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

Why don't you just go extractors and keep your headers...You can always change them back over if you go original again? I think an exhaust system aids in responsiveness of the engine more than anything. The HP gains would be minimal to say the least. Thats not to say there would be HP gains.

#14 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

ive seen a rail with hot 6 go back to the cast headers for an improvement.

This is true, the engine spent quite a bit of time on the dyno at Brads Speed Shop years ago. They tried heaps of different extractors and the 2 pce X2 style factory manifolds made the most torque and power. This was covered in Street Machine Magazine years ago, but still applies today.

#15 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

if you want the power run the extractors . my XU1 runs extractors and the original manifolds are sitting on the wall.
if manifolds make more power they would of used them on 73 bath cars.
put a set of 73 bathurst spec extractors on it (i was told Reg at Australian muscle car trimming) has them

as for not getting club or historic reg with non standard exhaust (what a croc of shi%)
my cars on club reg and has extractors

yes wrong length and diameter pipe work will make power suffer but correct pipework and cam and head combination will make the best power

cheers
GTR-XU1

Edited by gtr-xu1, 01 October 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#16 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:57 AM

It all depends on what your plans are for the car Tony!
At the A"ll Holden Day" at Carina if you had extractors and the car wasn`t a 73 Bathurst you were placed in modified.With the S.I.V rego if your cars complies with a safety certificate then it is able to be S.I.V registered..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users