Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

Hi folks

I want to replace the rubbers (both sides) where the control rod thingy attaches to the body. The rod I am talking about is the one that goes from the body to the lower control arm where the bump stops are also attached.

The problem is that I am not sure what to ask Rare Spares. The have a "Strut Bar Bush Kit" but don't have anything that mentions "Control Rod". The Gregorys manual calls the part a "control rod".

Are these terms synonymous?

Any help appreciated

Baz

#2 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

dont ask rare spares.. give peddars or fulcrum a call. theyll sort u out.

A1

#3 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:48 AM

Is that the rod that goes from the control arm backwards to the K frame?

If so I bought a bought a bush the other day for it. It had a funny name in the bushes catalogue which I dont remember.

The repco manager referred to it as a torsion rod.

It took 20 minutes to explain the part I meant as the photos werent in the catalogue. :(

#4 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:03 AM

here's the info from the repair manual, it calls them "control rod insulators",hope this helps
grant
control rod insulators

#5 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:32 AM

Thanks folks

I finally tracked down some GMH NOS insulators from Rare Spares. The reciept calls them "radius rod insulators". So it seems that the subject rod/bar is variously called a ;

control rod
strut bar
radius rod

Thanks for the picture - it seems that the previous owner (and now me) have put the insulators in back to front. Thank goodness it is not a big job.

Thanks again

Bazza

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

In the old manuals they are called control rods but on commodores they are called radius rods

#7 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:00 PM

Grr my bushes came today and Im certain they are the wrong part!! :angry:

#8 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:13 PM

one important thing about the adjustment is it has to be set to a fixed length, 15/16" of thread protruding past the nut. The castor and camber adjustments are made by changing the shims on the upper arm.
Some cars use a threaded arm as a castor adjustment (older falcons for example), on a Torana its used simply as the diagonal leg of the lower arm.
grant

#9 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

dansedgli - check the picture above, the ones I got from Rare Spares look pretty much like those. I suppose being GMH NOS they would wouldn't they. I only paid $17.15 for the set of 4 at the Preston Vic branch.

Bazza

#10 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:19 PM

Thanks mate, Ill have to try again. Mine are thinner than the ones above and they came with a metal rod that goes through the middle. The control rod is much bigger than the hole in the bushes.

Does anyone know if Rare spares stock nolathane gear?

Im not sure I want to risk going to repco again.

#11 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:37 PM

The metal rod ones are from the front subframe bolting to the body, 4 lots needed, the only other metal tube ones are for the outrigger arm where the subframe back bolts to the floor outside where your feet sit. Mate ring Nolathene, they are brilliant and know exactly what you are talking about. They will give u the right number to order off Repco.
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users