Low Beam, and No High Beam

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _spud_

_spud_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

when i turn my lights on, low beam comes on. then when i flick the switch to turn the high beam on, nothin changes. does anyone have an idea of what it might be.

#2 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

Sounds like your high beam isn't working.........

#3 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:35 PM

Maybe your hi-beam switch is no longer working, brand new theyre 20 bucks from memory. First check if the connections are still alright on the thing connecting to the actually bulbs.

#4 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hi,
what model car are you talking about?
Cheers
Chris

#5 _levis_

_levis_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:15 AM

is your car turned on? may sound stupid but i was cheking my lights and high beam didnt work unless car was running lol, so just wondering...

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:41 AM

LH/LX??? If LX, bad connections or faulty relay, if LH, or earlier, can be faulty floor dipper switch, although you tend to loose low beam if these are faulty.

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

If an LX, can you hear the relay clicking? If not, trace the switch wire circuit to find the fault. If you can hear the relay clicking, check the headlight circuit for the fault. Trace using a test light, no easy way round it.

#8 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

LX: Pull the steering wheel off and inspect the switch on the RHS of the collumn, which is reponsible for the high beam. You will most likely find the wire has come off the little switch. It's a common problem. Just solder it back on.

Cheers,
Rick.

#9 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

Any money that SPUD has a UC... And has a 'supercheap' replacement indicator stalk... I have this problem at the moment in my UC... Flick the lever back and low's come on, flick the indicator stalk back and no flasher or high beams...

That's what you get for going to supercheap...

Easy fix - go back to supercheap and get another until that one breaks too...

Cheers
Keith

#10 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

All I can say here is my guess is Spud's switch is on the column making it a LX or UC, given that he says he "flicks" the switch and nothing happens, one doesnt flick floor mounted dipper switches?.
Its always helpful if someone actually tells us what model they are having probs with.

#11 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

Going by his earlier post's, it's an LX sedan.

So should be from the micro switch under the s/wheel to the relay.

Probably as Rick said, start at the switch and follow it through, shouldn't be that hard to trace.

#12 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

Ok, if its an LX, its most likely as mentioned that the earth from the microswitch has come adrift or the switch itself is worn beyond repair.
It can still, however, be the relay......or both, its worth spending 30 secs checking out the relay b4 going to the trouble of pulling off the steering wheel, this check will tell you if the prob is at the switch regardless.

Find the white wire that connects to the relay, remove it and connect a small jumper wire to that terminal on the relay. (the relay shouldnt be too hard to find its on the right fender and has green and brown wires going from it to the right headlamp. Turn on the ignition and the headlights and earth the wire you have connected, each time it is re-earthed it will switch the beams. If it changes to high beam then the relay is good and your switch or wiring going to it is your prob. If no change, then relay is at fault.If you can hear the relay physically clicking and still no highbeam, then the problem is within the relay as it cant be switching the contacts completely over if low beam is still working. If the relay is at fault, obviously it needs replacing, but do also check your switch.......it will save a trip to wherever.....
To test the switch:
Measure the resistance between the white wire(disconnected from relay and earth), it should be close to zero when switch activated and infinite when open.
Alternative connect a 12V test lamp from battery direct to the white wire(disconnect from relay) and activate switch.....should light......just try momentarily.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 04 October 2006 - 10:55 AM.

#13 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

Spud likes to follow up on his posts too by the look of it!!

#14 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

Sounds like your high beam isn't working.........

:clap: HAHAHAH!! :clap:

#15 _spud_

_spud_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

I am sorry for not replying, i have been out of town, so anyway. The car is an LX, The little white wire on the flicker switch had come off, so i soldeired it back on, thinking that was the problem. and no change. i got another ON/Off out of my other torana's and still no change. I will test the dipper switch tomorrow.

#16 _spud_

_spud_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

The headlights do come on now, i found i have to start the engine, and then they will come on. i recently didn't know i had to do this, and before i couldn't test it as the motor wasn't running

#17 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

Ignition needs to be turned to on........rather than engine running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users