YEE HAA, I GOT TWIN GAS RESEARCH, however

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:15 AM

Like it says, i just had a GRA twin throttle body setup fitted to my 308 LH, im running a shift kitted TH350 and heres were my problem starts,

The mechanical kickdown cable for my TH350 on a normal carby setup pulls forwards towards the front when i stomp my right foot, she changes down and off we go.

With the Twin throttle bodies, when u accelerate the cable pulls the butterflys open towards the RH guard, the kickdown cable wont reach all the way around to the primary throttle body, so i cant change down unless manually shifting.

I will get photos tomorrow so you can all see the setup on the Twins in action, but im just wonderign if any sugestions could be offered;IE having a cable made up if possible, some sort of 90 degree mechanism to pull the cable, modifying my cable.

Am i doing any harm to my trans at the moment not having the cable hooked up?
Am i doin the right thing by shifting manually?

Other than that, i layed all my doubts to rest when i left the gates sidesways all the way through second gear onto third, wow.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:27 AM

you should be able to drive the car normally and when needed select a lower gear.
you will harm the box by A. holding first too long and B. shifting down to first at too higher road speed.
as a guage use the speed for first that you remember that it used to shift from when the kickdown was installed.
i cannot think of an easy fix for the cable but im sure ive seen alot of street cars with out the cable, maybe they are all full manual.
you may want to look at having a new cable made up from a cable maker. check yellow pages in your area.
you could allways go full manual.

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:01 AM

Getting a custom cable made will be the easy bit. The hard bit might be finding somebody to do it at a reasonable price. I've never needed to look, so I can't help. However, since brake places can get custom handbrake cables made, ask them for a guide in the right direction.

#4 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:04 PM

Here u go guys, a link to some of my twin gas research setup, have a look at the kick down cable on the LH side of the engine below the primary throttle body, gimme some other ideas please.

JNR_ATE's TWIN GAS

Cheers
JNR_ATE

Edited by JNR_ATE, 07 October 2006 - 10:04 PM.

#5 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:29 PM

it wont hurt the box at all to leave it disconected, it just wears the bands a bit more when manual shifting alot.

#6 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:16 AM

Very nice looking setup there mate!!!! Where did you get the tank?

Have you tried an automatics place? even via phone? they are sometimes real helpful!

#7 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

LOL, yeah the tank.
That was the reason for the 3 week wait, they couldnt fit they standard LH gas fitting tank, so they got this one for me, 90 useable litres.

Yeah i will ring on monday.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#8 _MediuM16A2_

_MediuM16A2_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

looks great mate...

how does it handle in comparison to the last setup??

90 usuable litres.. shesh. thats orrite.. mine only has 50. got to fill up every 200 odd kms.

#9 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:15 AM

i could up the compression again if i wanted, 10.0:1 is all i had. If i did everything right the first time to put it on gas, then it would be better again, but i didnt look that far ahead, lol

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#10 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:56 AM

hey jnr, nice setup!

do you carry a spare tyre? does it fit in your boot with that tank?

cheers.

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

mine only has 50. got to fill up every 200 odd kms.

50 litre tank, by my calcs you are saving money but 25L/100Km, that is not very good economy.

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

If you had a gas only car, you would realise that you fill up WELL before you run out. Can't get a jerry can full of LPG! With my LX, I had a 55 litre tank, but rarely let it get so low that I had to put in more than 35 litres.

#13 _MediuM16A2_

_MediuM16A2_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

nope not the best ecconomy..wouldnt that be normal for a mild 308 tho?

ive never run it to empty..but ive put 46 litres in. soo ive been close.. i just fill up at 200km to be safe.

#14 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

It's not legal to do so but you can do yourself a fitting to decant from an 9kg LPG bottle. It works my brothers boss does it when he runs the work ute out.

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

I've known about that for a while, but finding somewhere to re-fill it with auto LPG without getting your arse kicked would be the interesting bit.

#16 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

He used to do the forklift tank and a couple of 9kg's altogether at the local servo. They didn't care.

#17 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

Other than that, i layed all my doubts to rest when i left the gates sidesways all the way through second gear onto third, wow.

i guess you believe me now ??

:spoton:

#18 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:55 AM

Yes YiriSS, I should never had doubted your wisdom.
Cant wait to have it finally tuned right, spoke to them about my kickdown cable and they make a cable to suit, shame they didnt do it the first time.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users